PDA

View Full Version : Who to chrome the 1911?

alabaster
December 21, 2006, 06:21 PM
I've decided to get my Springy chromed.(no commentary on pimp finshes please) It's going to be brushed, not polished or matted out. I need to know who does the best work you all have seen. I searched and found many people who do the chrome, but no one really commented on how it looks or held up. I spoke to Bob Cogan(SP) a couple years ago about doing it, and he was as nice a guy as I can remember, but that doesn't mean the work is right. I looked at Robar too, and it looks like they don't hard chrome anything. Well, I'm sick of my old black slab sided workhorse, so I'm finally going to do it. I will also be having a little work done while it's out. Action job, radical dehorn, and stippling or checkering(jury's still out on that one). thanks for the advice, and lack of heckling about chick/pansie/pimp guns finishes.

Dfariswheel
December 21, 2006, 07:49 PM
Ford's is a top plater and offer a bright polish hard chrome option.

http://www.fordsguns.com/

Cogan/Accurate Plating offer a 400 grit bright option.

http://www.apwcogan.com/Greetings.htm

mikel_holt
December 21, 2006, 08:41 PM
Virgil Tripp, that's all he's doing now or so I've been told.

Jim Watson
December 21, 2006, 09:33 PM
Getting work done "while its out" for plating might be problematical. Tripp does not do gunsmithing any more, does only plating, coating, and magazines.
So for him or most others to plate it, you would have to have it gunsmithed to suit and then plated. Cogan does gunsmithing and I have seen attractive looking guns from his shop but not seen them being shot. How about NP3 or E-nickel from Robar?

Caveat: I haven't had any guns plated, like Will Rogers, all I know is what I read in the newspapers.

HSMITH
December 22, 2006, 12:55 AM
I have a couple done by Accurate Plating and Weaponry, and they are first rate. Both the gunsmithing and plating, first rate! I use them to this day. I have seen a couple guns come from them after plating that are not good, really washed out marks and really poor polishing work. It hasn't happened to me, but I have seen it.

I have had Tripp plate one gun, it is good but not AP&W good. I have not seen anything bad come from Tripp though, not even one gun. For consistency Tripp might be the place to go.

Of all the chromers I will only consider Tripp and AP&W, too many bad things have happened over the years with the others.

Call Benny at Triangle Shooting Sports www.triangleshootingsports.com and talk to him about what you want done. He will most likely use Tripp for the plating and that is OK, and the gunsmithing will be as good as money can buy.

alabaster
December 22, 2006, 06:10 PM
Yeah, I thought Robar, but I really want the superiority of chrome. I like the brushed finish, so it's not too bright. As far as the smithing, I don't mind sending it two places to have it all done. I was thinking a combat master type hook up from robar and then a AP&W chrome job. Hadn't thought of Tripp though. Thanks for all the opinions, I'll think on this for a minute and see what route to go.

mickeyfinn
December 23, 2006, 01:48 AM
hi alabaster,

i've gotta give bob cogan and the boys at Accurate Plating and Weaponry a second thumbs up!

they used to be right up the road from me in safety harbor, florida. but they moved to alabama, dammit!

anyway, i've had both refinishing and gunsmith work done by these guys. they are excellent.

go to their website and take a look at their stuff. their counter area in the old shop had glass cases with examples of what they can do with finishing work and there was a lot of chrome there. and it was sweet.

somehow, i never minded hanging around there when i was waiting for something.

take care,

mike

Wildalaska
December 23, 2006, 03:02 AM
We use APW on an OEM basis. They are the best we have ever used in the past 12 years.

We have had MISERABLE times with some platers. PM me for names and reasons if you care too.

I'm talking 75 plus guns a year too btw

WildsilverAlaska

alabaster
December 23, 2006, 06:41 AM
Nah. I appreciate it wildalaska, but I'd rather just know the good ones. Sounds like APW is going to get a 5in in the mail soon. Thanks again!

rezmedic54
December 23, 2006, 10:18 AM
RoBar does hard chrome and it looks good. They are in Tempe ,AZ>

RevoRick
December 23, 2006, 12:07 PM
Virgil Tripp

Gemini Customs