PDA

View Full Version : Flint Lock- Roundballs or Sabot?

WolfeJ
December 11, 2006, 08:41 PM
I was talking to my father today and he was think about switching from roundballs to sabots in our .50cal flint lock Thompson Centers. Anyone use sabots instead of roundballs in there flint locks? Any diffrences? Also I wanted to know if we can use the same type of sabots we use in out in-lines? The ones with the plastic seatings on them.

30Cal
December 11, 2006, 08:51 PM
What twist rate do they recommend for sabots? A roundball gun is typically pretty slow--between 44 and 60 inches for every turn.

Ty

Yankee Doodle
December 11, 2006, 08:53 PM
I use Powerbelts in my flintlock. Load easy, and just as accurate as a patched round ball. However, I have a 1/48" twist. If you have a 1/60", stick with the round ball. I don't think it will stabilize anything else.

garryc
December 12, 2006, 01:06 AM
Not enough twist in a thompson for a sabot. The typical sabot in a 50 will shoot a 44-45 pistol bullet. Note that a 44 mag rifle uses a 1-38 twist. Most T/C's of that type are 1-48, unless it's a round ball gun then it's 1-66.

I'd call Log Cabin Sport Shop and ask him.

Phone: (330) 948-1082

http://www.logcabinshop.com/

WolfeJ
December 12, 2006, 06:39 PM
I talked to my dad, he said his TC is a 1/66 ( 1/60 somthing) and mine is a 1/48. I think from what you guys are saying, I should just stick with the round ball! Thanks!

garryc
December 13, 2006, 11:52 AM
Probably a Pennsylvania Hunter, good gun

Smokey Joe
December 13, 2006, 01:53 PM
Yr. 1 to 45" will probably handle sabots--try it. Yr Dad's 1 to 66" will never stabilize them.

Johnny Guest
December 13, 2006, 02:47 PM
- - and an interesting question.

I feel, though, that it is better suited for the Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting forum.

Moved, with redirect left in Rifle forum.

Best,
Johnny

WolfeJ
December 13, 2006, 05:08 PM
Your right, I am a Pennsylvania hunter. Im wondering how you guessed that...

garryc
December 13, 2006, 10:58 PM
Your right, I am a Pennsylvania hunter. Im wondering how you guessed that...

Pennsylvania, one of the few states that require flintlocks. I wish Ohio would make primative weapons season sidelock flint or cap lock, no scopes, only.

Actually, the rifle is probably the T/C Pennsylvania Hunter model

MEDDAC19
December 14, 2006, 10:46 AM
Have you thought about using maxi balls? I hunt with a T/C Renegade, flintlock, in .50, and get good accuracy with maxi's.

WolfeJ
December 14, 2006, 10:01 PM
I really love flintlock season! I like the late seson hunt because the deer are a little more relaxed again, and with the snow I can do some tracking and stalking.

The guns are older rifels, I believe they were my grandfahters's. So Im guessing about 20 or more years old atleast. Mine even has the older style iron shights and dad just bought fiber optic sights for his today, ran about $55 but well worth it. I think hes going to try some diffrent bullets since he has to re-sight anyway. If he does Ill put another reply up.

~I just looked at the guns, my father's looks alot newer than mine and says its a " Hawking". Mine just says who made it and that its a .50 calaber, nothing else. Mine is also about 4" shorter than his. They both have the brass but plate, patch holder, ram rod and trim.