PDA

View Full Version : 295gr.power belt with 100gr.triple seven!

jaymag
November 16, 2006, 04:44 PM
This is going to be my new combo this year.I was shooting thomson cheap shot pure lead hollow point sabots,pure lead.Two 50gr. pellets.Im going a little heavier bullet this year.Any problems with this? Out of 24 inch barrel inline C.V.A.

mrawesome22
November 16, 2006, 07:35 PM
I used those 777 pellets and Hated them. Inaccurate as hell and left a crud ring down in the barrel that prevented from seating the following bullet properly. However, 100 grains Pyrodex RS loose and a 245 grain Powerbelt is very deadly in my Knight 24" barrel. Open up the Powerbelt pamphlet, it has load recommendations and ballistics.

mrawesome22
November 16, 2006, 07:42 PM
Hell, I got to reading this Powerbelt pamphlet and found this. "When using charges of Triple 7, it may be necessary to swab the bore with a wet patch between every shot. Pay particular attention to the area of the bore where the bullet seats, as fouling build up is heaviest in this area. This procedure may be necessay to remove any excess fouling that could potentially lead to the short starting of the bullet. Please refer to manufacturers instructions for correct loading procedure, as Triple 7 powder is measured in lesser grain equivalents than either Prydex powder or black powder." Confirms what I was experiencing.

Whisk
November 17, 2006, 11:48 AM
I was using 100 grs Triple 7 with 245 gr Powerbelts and it worked great in my CVA

Then I back it off to 80 grs loos triple 7 ffffg after reading that one thread

You see

I am whats called "cautious"

(a chicken****) :D

mrawesome22
November 18, 2006, 02:21 AM
Yes, 85 grain equivalent with Triple 7 is 100 grain equivalent Pyrodex. 100 grain equivalent Triple 7 is 115 grain equivalent Pyrodex. Unless you are using pellets. Pelllets take all the guess work out of it.

oybor
November 18, 2006, 08:38 AM
I am quite new to the Blackpowder shooting (about 3 years) but I am having a lot of fun shooting and trying different combinations, One thing (at least it has been my experence) is that when using the "Powerbelt bullets" my accuracy is always off, no matter what propelent I am using. As I said, this could be just me, but I have removed them from my shooting box, I may try them again sometime in the future, but as for now they are history, Just MOP Oybor

mrawesome22
November 19, 2006, 12:13 AM
I have found the Powerbelt bullet to be very accurate. Of course, just about every bullet I've tried in my Knight's are accurate. I hope they do not go out of business like I've been hearing. Please buy American.

jaymag
November 19, 2006, 09:41 AM
I went from a old 56cal. thomson blackpowder.With 90gr of pyrodex powder.I couldn't hit the side of a barn with that old gun.A couple years ago I picked up A c.v.a. inline,I put a 2.5 x 4.5 bushnell banner scope on it.It shot groups well for harvesting whitetail.It might not be 30-06 accurate,but not bad I like the pellets.They're so easy for follow up shots in the freezing months of massachussetts.Power belts have no sabot wad to fall off the bullet ,off your tree stand.:eek: I think power belt bullets with triple seven pellets work very well.Alot less BS out in the field or the range.But Whatever you think works!

charlie in md
November 21, 2006, 10:54 AM
I use loose triple 7 (95 grains by volume), with 295 grain copper aerotip in my 54. It is very accurate. Conversely, powerbelt lead hollowpoints are all over the paper using the same powder charge.

good luck

C

Whisk
November 21, 2006, 03:00 PM
I have found Powerbelts to be pretty accurate in my cheapo CVA 50 cal

But then accuracy is a relative term isn't it :confused: :cool:

Smokey 92
January 7, 2009, 08:19 PM
delete

shortwave
January 7, 2009, 08:55 PM
One of my inlines(Rem-700) shoots the 295grn. jacketed Powerbelt bullet,seated over 90 grns. loose Pyrodex or American Pioneer very accurately out to about 120yds. Prefer Amer. Pioneer over Pyrodex or 777. IMO,its cleaner. Don`t really care for pellets in anything. I`ve found accuracy really starts to go south using loads higher than 110grns. with Powerbelts in this rifle. I`ve got two other inlines that don`t shoot Powerbelts well at all. Wished they did. If your rifle shoots it and isn`t broke, don`t fix it;).

marshall623
January 12, 2009, 09:43 PM
2 777 pellets & 295 power belt my T/C cuts holes at 100 yrds
26" barrel - 1& 38 twist still has fouling ring but I get 3 shots
between wiping out bore.
I have a 50 Renagade T/C it will shoot any thing you can get down the bore
and shoot it good but I stick to FF black powder & 370 maxi balls
have had that one for 26 years not even 1 misfire knock on wood.

L'derry
January 12, 2009, 11:19 PM
On a recommendation from my buddy, I switched from 90 gr. Pyrodex RS loose powder to two 50 gr 777 pellets in my inline. I used 295 Gr PowerBelts and found I got some real black slop after only a few shots. I took out the breech plug and found a lot of wet black slop at the base. :eek: Never saw that before. I thought perhaps there might have been some excess bore butter and that was what mixed with the 777 residue, but I continued to use 777 and still was getting a much dirtier bore and breech plug than I'm used to seeing. I'll be on the range shooting it more to see what results.

I only use 90 gr Pyrodex RS loose powder in my T/C sidelock with the same 295 gr. PowerBelts and get good groups. Have killed a few deer with that load. No need to fool with that.:cool:

Mark whiz
January 15, 2009, 06:34 PM
As per the original question, the proposed load should work ok. But there has been a lot of good advice offered so far. So I'll add my 2 cents worth of experience with powerbelts:

1. They do not like being pushed very fast - too much speed keeps the power check "cup" from falling off properly and that really screws up accuracy.

2. ALWAYS work that cup on & off the stud a few times before you shoot one and even add a dab of fresh lube (like bore butter) to the stud to make sure it comes off easily as the bullet leaves the bore.

3. I would also suggest going to the heavier 348gr bullet (as I'm assuming you have a .50cal rifle). They fly better and offer much better impact result on game. The 100gr powder load will still be plenty strong for that heavier bullet. I shoot the 348 Aero-tips with 90gr of loose 777 and get a muzzle velocity of 1400fps and 1521 ft lbs of torque at the muzzle out of my old Knight USAK - more than enough to kill any game on this continent. From what I've seen, 80gr of loose 777 would give similiar speed and accuracy results with the 295's.

4. Concerning the 777 "crud ring" - it does exist. It's worse with pellets than it is with loose powder and it is worse with 209 primers than it is with #11 caps like I still use. For best and most consistent results, I run a "spit-patch" thru the bore between rounds to keep it broken down and to keep the bore consistent round to round.

5. The biggest concern I have with powerbelts (and the reason I don't hunt with them anymore) is that they don't consistantly expand on game. Once I popped a boar hog from about 30 or so yards with a 348gr Aero-tip using a CleanShot powder load equivalent of what I gave above and it had Zero expansion on Porky - the entry and exit wounds were identical in size, .50 caliber. I've heard of many similiar results from others on game as well - it's about 50/50 as to whether they expand or not. It may depend on each particular shot placement and the game involved - I don't know, but it's hard for me to believe why that bullet didn't expand after hitting that hard shoulder "shield" that boar carry as body armor. The good news was that shot knocked Porky right off his feet and he never moved a muscle once he landed. :D Dead is dead, but I do prefer a more "traditional" expansion from a bullet for my own pice of mind - a humane and quick end is what I'm after when hunting.

Smokey 92
January 15, 2009, 07:42 PM
Is there a problem with cleaning using the 777 pellets? Or will it clean up like other powders (loose)?

tube_ee
January 15, 2009, 08:28 PM
"Holy Black"?

I know that I prefer Goex to 777 in my Pietta Remington, but I've no interest in "modern" muzzleloaders. Dad's got one, though, and if we do a bulk buy on Swiss powder, using it in his scoped Remington inline would be a definite plus.

What have been the results of those who have used real black powder in a fast-twist, scoped inline, with saboted bullets?

--Shannon

Mark whiz
January 15, 2009, 11:31 PM
Actually 777 cleans up pretty easy - easier than Black or Pyro. It's just that the area where combustion starts tends to build up a hard crusty lip you need to breakdown so that you know every shot is loaded all the way to the breech plug. It's worse on some guns than others and like I said before, most feel that pellets and 209 primers aggrevate it more - which is why there are now 209's marketed strictly for 777 use, it's not just manufacturer's hype - it's their attempt to help the crud ring build up.

FrontierGander
January 30, 2009, 07:48 PM
i wouldnt use that load with the 295 grainer. They come apart very easily with that kind of charge and a target under 50 yards.

58 yards- Pyrodex RS
Top/Bottom

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm53/thepowerbeltforum/295/295%20Watermark/Picture118copy.jpg

Heres what that 295 looks like when shot at 100 yards with the 80gr RS load,

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm53/thepowerbeltforum/295/295%20Watermark/Picture496copy.jpg

You have to remember that these are Pure soft lead conicals with a copper coating to help keep from leading the barrel. You can not push these like you can do with the thick jacket/hard lead pistol bullets that you find in sabots.