PDA

View Full Version : Guide gratuity?

.50cal packer
November 13, 2006, 12:06 AM
I'm going on a guided Fallow deer hunt in MO. I've never been on a guided hunt before, and I'm not sure how much I should tip the guide? Is it based on there production and should be tipped accordingly, or is it based on a percentage of the price of the hunt? It is $1500, for a 3 Day 3 night hunt, if you're curious. I don't want to insult him with a low ball tip, however, I don't want to put his kids through college either. ;)
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

davlandrum
November 13, 2006, 12:19 PM
I posted a similar question on this thread and did some research on my own. Seems like a good rule of thumb is 10%, if they do everything they are supposed to do, more if they go above and beyond, less if they don't do what they are paid to do.

Please post after your hunt and what you ended up tipping. My buddy and I are saving for a big pack-in elk hunt (probably 4 years down the road) and are trying to figure out how much to budget for tips.

.50cal packer
November 13, 2006, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the reply. I was guessing around 10%, but you helped me validate that. My hunt is this thanksgiving, and I'll reply about the gratuity and hopefully attach a photo of the fallow deer. Thanks again.

geneinnc
November 13, 2006, 08:33 PM
I usually tip $200 on a $1500 hunt. So i'm told a VERY generous tip gets you on prime spots the next time. I know some guys that go back tip the guide up front. Sadly,it seems to work. Trophy animals are soon to be a rich mans game. I know some of you guys have public land with trophy deer, but my area has close to zero game lands that are safe to hunt. What's left of the private land left around here is either leased for way more than it's worth.
Most of our trophy deer are taken via spot light (NOT legal) and are happy to tell you that's how they got it. :(

Fat White Boy
November 14, 2006, 12:48 AM
A hog hunt in Central California costs about $500.00. A $50.00 tip is good for a successful hunt...