PDA

View Full Version : Puzzling problem with 777 need answers.

Wild Bill Bucks
November 6, 2006, 11:05 AM
This week end, I went to the range to shoot up some 777 Pellets I had left, and had 6 100 grain loads, out of a fifty box , that barely got the bullet out of the barrel.(REALLY WEAK)

So I went and got some loose powder, in 777, and took it home to make some quick loaders up, and decided to weigh the 100 grain volume charge.

100 grains by volume weighed 83 1/2 grains on my weight scale, and the 2 pellets of 777 weighs 63 grains.

Now I understand that the pellets are packed tighter, so volume won't be the same, but shouldn't the weight of the pellets, at least be close to that of the loose powder?

Splane dis to me Lucy!

Since the pellets are about $4.00 higher, and seems to be less powder in them, are we being ripped off, or am I missing something?

arcticap
November 6, 2006, 11:23 AM
Could you have bought the .50 caliber 30 grain pellets? Or could they have mixed up the pellet sizes at the factory? :rolleyes:

"MAXIMUM LOAD WARNING

45 and 50 CALIBER RIFLE:
45 Caliber Pellets come in one size: 50 grain
50 Caliber Pellets come in two (2) sizes:
1) 50 grain volume equivalent which equals 50 grains of loose powder by volume.
2) 30 grain volume equivalent which equals 30 grains of loose powder by volume.

The maximum load per shot should never exceed total Pellets containing more than 100 grains volume equivalent. That means, no more than:

45 Caliber 1) Two (2) 50 grain Pellets
2) Three (3) 44/45 caliber 30 grain Pellets
50 Caliber 1) Three (3) 30 grain Pellets, or
2) Two (2) 50 grain Pellets, or
3) One (1) 50 grain Pellet and one (1) 30 grain Pellet"

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/muzzleloading/pellet-warnings.php

I once opened up a new tin of 100 Remington primers and there were only about 40 in it! :D

Wild Bill Bucks
November 6, 2006, 12:41 PM
Double checked pellets, all 50 grain pellets.

marcseatac
November 6, 2006, 04:53 PM
I think you are paying a premium for convenience. I have always suspected they are "Lawyers Pellets". If you want a comparison load 2 pellets shoot, then load 100 grains of FFFG and shoot. No comparison!

Whisk
November 6, 2006, 06:33 PM
Lawyer pellets = lawyer triggers

I like that! :D

fireant21
November 6, 2006, 06:36 PM
how old are the pellets? Doc White speaks to the hydroscopic nature of these pellets in this link http://www.chuckhawks.com/doc_white2.htm. Seems these type powders readily absorb moisture.

Wild Bill Bucks
November 7, 2006, 09:48 AM
Pellets were bought 2 days before shooting, but no telling how long they had been on the shelf.
I bought some FFG in 777 yesterday, and went to the range, and had no problems with it, so I guess I will stay away from the pellets until they get thier problems worked out.
A guy could sure get mad if he sat all day waiting on that ONE GOOD SHOT, and have a weak load go off.

marcseatac
November 7, 2006, 05:02 PM
Last year a guy told me a story about hunting Elk with one of the Hawken style rifles. He spotted a big 7x7 about 40 yds and went to take a shot and all he got was a big "click" and the Elk vamoosed. Seems the primer cap he had picked out of his jar was empty. He went through the whole batch and found 1 more just like it.

We were standing in the BP section at the local Sporting goods store so I have no idea if he was bulls**tting me or not, but ouch!

armedandsafe
November 7, 2006, 08:58 PM
If the pellets were to pick up water due to hygroscopic action, they then would weigh MORE than they would if as dry as they come off the factory line. I vote for the "lawyer-finagle-factor" here.

Over the years, I have found empty primers in all 4 sizes of primers, both sizes of berdan primers, both sizes of BP caps and musket caps. It happens once in awhile.

Pops

Wild Bill Bucks
November 8, 2006, 09:50 AM
This was not a primer problem. The primers fired. It was just the 2 pellets that were weak. REAL WEAK.

I have since changed to loose FFG, and haven't had any problems since. I just wondered if any body else had a problem with them.

sundance44s
November 8, 2006, 10:29 AM
I`ve had this bad cap thing more than once too.. i always use a snail type capper now ..so i flip all the caps top up where the insides can be seen easy ...there are uasually at least one cap in every tin .. i find questionable....so i cull`em ..it seems some caps just don`t get the propper charge at the factory ...from fast automation .. always check yer caps expecially when ya wake up at dawn and get a chance to bag an elk or deer .
I`ve had the bad ones with all the brands too ..it ain`t just one brand moveing too fast down the line at the factory .

mstumpe
November 8, 2006, 11:47 AM
I think you are supposed to reduce 777 loads by 15% to be the equivalent of black powder or pyrodex (by volume). I assume that the pellets are already compensated so comparing by weight would yield different results. 85 grains of loose should be close to 2 50 grain pellets by weight.

Notice I said "think" and "assume". Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

I called Hogdon and confirmed that 85 grains by volume of 777 loose is supposedly equivalent in energy to two 50 grain 777 pellets.

marcseatac
November 8, 2006, 01:58 PM
One of the things I question about the packaging of Triple 7 pellets is the container isn't airtight. They put a sticky label over the lid of the box but it doesn't cover the seam in the lid all the way around.

American Pioneer puts it's 50 grain pellets in the standard powder type plastic bottle with a sealable lid. The Pyrodex pistol pellets also come in a lidded jar.

mrawesome22
November 14, 2006, 04:33 PM
I've found that 777 pellets leave a ring of crud down in the ignition area making it almost impossible to seat the next bullet properly. I've also found accuracy with 777 to be very poor also. I've went back to Pyrodex.