PDA

View Full Version : Inconsistent 777 pellets?

Wild Bill Bucks
November 3, 2006, 11:24 AM
I got a box of 777 powder pellets two days ago, and some of the 100 grain loads go BANG, and some of them (3 out of 12) went POOP.

Any of the rest of you guys noticed this, or did I just get an old box thats been sitting on the shelf to long?

marcseatac
November 3, 2006, 05:32 PM
I noticed that some of my pellets from last year are sticking together haven't shot any lately. My almost empty bottle of FFFg that is also a year old shoots just fine.

maine bucks
December 17, 2006, 09:57 AM
I have not had that issue yet but I mostly use the loose stuff my son shoots the pellets. But I guess if it is not stored properly it could do that. I know the #11 caps will deterioate if old! Always use fresh batch when huntingor that buck of a lifetime might go POOF as well! Been there done that!!:D

jaymag
December 18, 2006, 08:59 AM
I know it's a pain but they say you have to run a clean patch down between every shot.Sometimes 777 was delay firing when I didn't clean it between each shot.When this happend I couldn,t hit anything.When used the properly 777 holds great groups.good luck.

Wild Bill Bucks
December 18, 2006, 10:22 AM
I changed over to the loose 777, and haven't had any further problems. My cleaning between shots, is anal, so I know that wasn't the problem. I also noticed that if you use 100 grains of loose 777, that their is NO COMPARISON, to 2- 50 grain pellets.

The best part about loose powder, is that if there is a little bad powder, in the batch, it can be equally mixed by simply mixing the can.(gently)
If the pellets are bad, you don't have any way of knowing it prior to loading. So I think I will just stay with the loose powder. It is a little more trouble, but the peice of mind is worth it.