PDA

View Full Version : Thompson GreyHawk problem

Cosmo911
November 2, 2006, 09:35 PM
Hopefully someone can tell me what they use for loads and bullet in the .50 GreyHawk. I bought it a couple years ago at a local gunshow and didn't shoot it much until recently. I called Thompson and they told me to use Pyrodex select ffg 80 grains with the maxiball 370 prelubed bullets. I thought this gun used to shoot better than it is now. I get maybe 2 shoots grouped together and then they start to fly all over. I've bought a new can of powder. I clean the barrel with the patches presoaked with #13 cleaner and follow with dry patches and bore butter at the range after 3 shots. I fire a #11 cap to dry the barrel before loading. I clean the gun in hot soapy water with Dawn dish soap. Can anyone help with their secret for success in their guns. I'm frustrated and thinking of selling it and getting a barrel for my Encore 209x50.

arcticap
November 3, 2006, 04:10 AM
Maybe it's possible to improve the performance by using a Wonderwad wool Bore Button between the bullet & the powder to work like a gas check, to prevent some of the gases from blowing by and to help prevent accuracy robbing fouling in the bore, especially since you're getting good accuracy for a couple of shots.
But while some 1 in 48" twist barrels will satisfactorily shoot the long heavy concials like the 370 grain Maxiballs, these bullets may just be too long to be well stabilized by that medium twist barrel. That's just my gut feeling.
I would suggest that if you want to shoot a bore size conical, that you select a lighter and shorter one, it should stabilize better. It appears that TC makes conicals in various weights and IMO, stay under about 300 grains.
There is a 275 grain TC .50 advertised:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle_url?q=http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp%3Fsku%3D000307885&fr=ANcS7DFUz5JqWfUqd3-MStMhujAb8i-azeS2vPC9sO2pFDAMPDxWUvtxQUCnjpxGNwAAAAAAAAAA&gl=us&hl=en

And 255 and 240 grain .45 caliber TC conical's that you can try to use with the right size sabot for .45 caliber bullets, (not the .427-.430 sabots, they won't work with .45's).

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000307794

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/department.asp?dept=%4D%55%5A%5A%4C%45%4C%4F%41%44%49%4E%47&dept2=%43%4F%4D%50%4F%4E%45%4E%54%53&dept3=%42%55%4C%4C%45%54%53%20%4F%4E%4C%59&dept4=%34%35%20%43%41%4C

Any lighter, shorter sabot/.45 bullet combination may work satisfactorily, and the 255 grain .45 maxi hunter has shot well for me out of a 1 in 48" twist barrel. A 245 grain bullet/sabot is one of the most popular bullet/sabot combinations.

And you can always try a patched round ball too. That's something that really won't shoot well out of a fast twist inline. And you can plink more accurately at moderate ranges without needing to swab as much if using a well lubricated patch and lower powder charges with your Grey Hawk.
More shooting can sometimes equal more fun. ;)
Plus, the lighter projectiles won't produce as much recoil.
Why not try out more bullets until you find one that you like. There's also a 250 grain .45 REAL bullet and a 250 & 320 grain REAL in .50.
This outfit may let you mix and match bullets within an order. I've never shot the REALS but some folks like them.
Good luck and let us know how things work out. :)

http://blackjackhill.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_6

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1162544960.4931=/html/catalog/blackpow.html

Cosmo911
November 3, 2006, 09:16 AM
I use the 370 gr. Maxi Ball because that's what Thompson told me would work the best. Just trying to follow their recommendations. I have tried .490 round balls with prelubed pillow tuck patches. The sights aren't even close compared to the maxi balls. I also used to shoot Buffalo Hunter 245 gr in prelubed type bulllet. These seem to be all over the place also. Thompson noted that I maybe have an issue with the bore butter on the maxi balls. They said when it ages it can dry out. When I shot the other day it was about 37 degrees outside. That can make the bore butter less moist or creamy possibly interfering with accuracy. I'll keep trying. Thanks for the info, it all helps.
Scott

Skeet69
November 21, 2006, 07:01 AM
I use the 370 gr maxi's over 90 grains of Clean Shot in my Grey Hawk with excellent accuracy! (I don't have a group size in my head to tell you...) Are you testing it from a bench? Just wondering. My GH out shoots my long barreled Penns. Hunter!
Good luck1

slabsides
November 27, 2006, 07:54 PM
My Grey Hawk shoots excellently well with 70 gr Pyrodex, a .490 Hornady round ball, and T/C ticking patches (.015") impregnated with BoreButter. I clean with hot water and Murphy's Oil Soap, then swab the dried bore with Bore Butter patches to keep it seasoned until the next session. Works great. One-inch groups at 25 yds; about 1-1/2" at 50, off the bench. I've tried a few shots with 90 gr. of Pyro, to test for a hunting load. Shoots a bit higher on long range 50-75 yard targets. I don't shoot further with BP. My Grey Hawk is a great little rifle, that gets sneered at by traditionalists and in-liners alike---until they see how it shoots.

maine bucks
December 16, 2006, 06:13 PM
I use triple seven powder 100 grains shooting any 240 grain sabot! Great accuracy and plenty of knockdown power!

olkaintuck
December 17, 2006, 11:26 AM
I have a TC Greyhawk and have used it successfully to harvest many deer. It is an accurate rifle, lightweight and balanced. I have shot mine with 385 grain Buffalo Bullets with a hollow base and hollow nose and with 80 grains of Pyrodex powder. The first deer I harvested with it was a six point buck at about 70 yards. I do not use a scope, just iron sights. The buck did not know what hit him, he was dead before he hit the ground.

I clean mine with dishwashing detergent and use TC bore butter to swab it and "season" it. I also use the bore butter to lube the Buffalo Bullet when I load the gun. It is a very dependable gun. I highly recommend it to anyone!

I have thought of putting some sort of flourescent paint on the sights to line up shots better especially when it is low light conditions. Any suggestions or thoughts on that subject.

slabsides
December 17, 2006, 01:55 PM
kaintuck:
I also use just the iron sights that came on the gun. T/C makes a very useful adjustable sight for its BP rifles, and it zeroes easily and stays in adjustment.
I found that just a drop of white acrylic or even common White-Out typewriter correction fluid makes the front bead a lot more visible.
I usually don't shoot well with open sights, preferring apertures when a 'scope isn't used. But the T/C is an exception, being wonderfully apt to the sights and well-balanced in my hands; it is as accurate for me as a very good rimfire target gun, say. Which at the short woods ranges hunted here in Maine, where shots are taken sometimes as though you were swinging a shotgun on a rocketing upland bird, is very good indeed! I bought my Grey Hawk on a whim; have been kidded a lot by fellows with $2000 hand-builts...until the litte 'toy POS' wiped their eye in a meat shoot!!!
BTW: At the range, I wipe the bore every three shots with a patch moistened with peroxide and alcohol, then a dry patch. The patching on the ball is all the lube needed.

maine bucks
December 18, 2006, 04:28 PM
Well I done did it!! Went out hunting today and when I got back to the jeep
I went to shoot the load out of my Greyhawk. Guess what it went pop that's it!! Six times even after I pulled out the cap nipple and attempted to ream it out! Now there's 100 grains of 777 and a sabot in there with nowwhere to go!! Seems when I was at the range Friday there were a few other guys there and we got to talking and all and after I cleaned it I forgot to fire a cap to dry it out. I brought it home and put it in the safe either the powder I loaded this morning got contaminated or the hole is still plugged. Oh well now I can't find my bullet puller at the moment! Thank God nothing came by the stand today that would have done it!!! Ah the joys of muzzleloading!