PDA

View Full Version : Clean Up for BP & Other Substitutes

Whisk
October 2, 2006, 09:52 AM
Since I have just started the sport of BP Shooting, I have been wondering how I can reduce my cleaning time at the range. I've been using Triple Seven so the clean up is less than it would be with real BP (which I intend to graviatate toward). In any case, it is still a mess and I try and do it at the range as I invariably get sidetracked coming back from the range by my wife (damn cell phones) and it just works better for me to clean everything at the range.

I had a 45 caliber bore snake for my other guns but wanted one for my 50 cal rifle. I couldn't find one but bought a 28 gauge snake and it works OK (I think 28 gauge is about 55 cal).

One of my primary questions is: "If you used a BP substitute like Triple SEven, is it necessary to use soap and hot water" :confused:

It would sure be a lot more convenient if I could use something like the Breakfree Powder Solvent in a pressurized can and the Breakfree libricant as well.

Would appreciate any suggestions........

Seth Hawkins
October 2, 2006, 10:51 AM
The best way I know of to clean-up after "non-smokeless" powder is hot, soapy water. It's been working just fine for me, whether I use real BP or subs. It's the cheapest, simplest, most effective method I know of.

sundance44s
October 2, 2006, 12:17 PM
I do my cleaning at the range too ..the mistery mix i use is ..Windex .. if ya doubt it works try it and look at your bore with a bore light.

Whisk
October 2, 2006, 12:53 PM
Thats what I was looking for!

Thx. I'll try the Windex!

I always said: "I'll piss on a spark plug if it'll fire......"

Falls under the general heading of: "If it works, don't knock it!" :D

oldmaster111
October 2, 2006, 03:59 PM
Keep the windex off any blued areas as it might lift the blue. Happened to me.:eek:

Seth Hawkins
October 2, 2006, 04:34 PM
I've tried them all - Windex, Moosemilk,...you name it. Didn't notice any of them doing a better job than plain 'ol soap 'n water.

If you decide to try Windex, be sure you use the Vinegar-flavored version. Don't use the regular Windex with amonia or you risk damage to the finish of wood and metal.;)

Smokin_Gun
October 2, 2006, 04:56 PM
I'll back up the scaldin' hot soapy water and same with rinse water...nothin' get um cleaner and disapates moisture when wiping dry than heat.
So I second the good old soapy water.

Steve499
October 2, 2006, 08:10 PM
I use rubbing alcohol. It cuts fouling but contains no water which can cause rusting if not properly dried. The alcohol evaporates without leaving rust behind. I got started using it before a hunt to ensure I had a clean, dry flash channel and chamber. Then I started using it to rough clean at the range and found that I had little to finish cleaning at home with the traditional pumping of hot soapy water. Now I clean entirely with it and lubricate afterward with straight olive oil.

There are lots of ways to get to the same place. Anything which removes the salt rich fouling and anything which inhibits rust afterward will work just fine. I don't know of any real short cuts, though.

Steve

8thPistolero
October 2, 2006, 08:12 PM
I'm also new to BP shooting and I noticed that once the grips and trigger guard of my Remington are removed there are two large openings in the frame to first: liberally jet spray Gun Scrubber while using small toothbrush/Q-tips where able and nesessary and holding gun so dirty runoff exits frame and secondly, since Gun Scrubber will remove all traces of oil/lube from within the frame, spray in some Brakefree while, again, making sure all inside parts and surfaces are coated with it. Although I'll be the first to admit that I have alot to learn about blackpowder and I certainly realize that it can be much dirtier and hygroscopic than smokeless powder I feel the above described products and procedure should keep my revolver clean and, more inportantly, free of corrosion. The reason for my belief is that when one realizes that the Remington design is modular much like the Ruger revolvers, no matter whether one completely disassembles the gun and washes it with soap and water or follow the above procedure there are still only two ways to get inside the frame. Although complete dissasembly may be slightly more thorough it comes at the expense of much more complexity and time.

drdirk
October 2, 2006, 08:57 PM
Hot soapy water (simple green works well) and then LOTS of WD40 to get the water out. I know, must will disagree with the WD 40 but on the rather crude BP action it works fine and I have been doing it without built up. Then, coat of break free to protect. It is not enought ot do the bore, the smoke will enter the action so make sure you clean it as well.

Whisk
October 2, 2006, 09:37 PM
I liked Steve's (I think it was) idea about the olive oil as I have an Italian gun ROTFLMAO!

I'll be careful with the Windex!

Been using WalMart bought Gunscrubber and BreakFree but may just try some of the other remedies (like alcohol).

Between the peanut butter (another thread) and olive oil, this black powder shooting tastes better all the time :)

Whisk
October 2, 2006, 10:27 PM
I've wondered about WD-40 as I always have plenty around.

It is graphite based and can cause biuld up.

I threw the hammer in college and used it on (in) the swivel. It would cake up after awhile.

Hard to have hot water at my range so I may use the alcohol or gun scrubber anyway...

Whisk
October 2, 2006, 10:40 PM
I've wondered about WD-40 as I always have plenty around.

It is graphite based and can cause biuld up.

I threw the hammer in college and used it on (in) the swivel. It would cake up after awhile.

Hard to have hot water at my range so I may use the alcohol or gun scrubber anyway...

arcticap
October 3, 2006, 11:40 AM
I like Hoppe's Number 9 Plus Black Powder Solvent & Patch Lubricant the best for all around clean up.

Whisk
October 3, 2006, 02:36 PM
Don't think HOppe's No. 9 works that well on BP tho.............

So far I like the alcohal or windex (if ya get it off blued parts, etc. quick) for not hot water cleaning at range.

If hot water cleaning at range (use a little tine cup and single burner camp stove) simple green or other dishwashing soap is fine. Hard to beat the teakettle and hot water with anything (even at range).......

Metaloy Industries
October 3, 2006, 03:10 PM
The use of ANY petroleum products i.e. WD40, Hoppes runs the risk of contaiminating a powder charge if any residue is left. I use some white milky stuff...can't remeber what its called. Works real well.

MMC makes a synthetic Black Powder cleaner and lube that will NOTcontaminate powder and makes cleaning easier everytime you use it. We sell it on our website. Good stuff.

arcticap
October 3, 2006, 08:15 PM
About the Hoppe's residue contaminating the powder, since it's a patch lube, it's formulated to come into contact with the powder to some degree, and I've never heard anyone complain about ignition issues. I basically use Hoppe's for cleaning after shooting and I don't advocate an over saturation of it for swabbing, but even alcohol has water in it while Hoppe's may have a hint of kerosene (It's better to use the 91% and not the 70% alcohol). Many products people use contain water which is probably way more of a contamination risk than Hoppe's, of which I think the risk is virtually nonexistant, especially if used sparingly for swabbing just like any other product.

http://www.gunaccessories.com/Hoppes/SolventsLubricating.asp

Smokin_Gun
October 4, 2006, 12:34 AM
Moose's Milk?
Also water soluable machinist's oil and water make a good patch lube I amd told... I swear by Moose's Milk in patched long guns an lube pills in all my Revs.

Whisk
October 4, 2006, 12:49 PM
I always thought Moosemilk was a drink :confused:

But then, since getting on this blog I've heard about peanut butter, olive oil, and other references to food........

Guess if you shoot BP you'll never go hungry (or thirsty.....) :cool:

kenneth
July 18, 2008, 01:15 PM
it looks like nobody has posted here since 06 so i hope a get a reply. when at the range, if the bp rifle become's fouled up, but i want to shoot more, what do i use to clean it. and i have been told that crisco is a good lubd for shooting, is that true?

kenneth

Hawg
July 18, 2008, 04:26 PM
A couple of Windex soaked patches should do the trick. I'm not a round ball shooter except in pistols but I would think any non petroleum based lube that can be melted and soaked into a patch would work. Some like Crisco may melt out of the patch and be messy in heat tho.

long rider
July 18, 2008, 04:33 PM
One thing thats beats all the above?
BALLISTOL, it takes care of evrything;)

Fingers McGee
July 18, 2008, 11:01 PM
During the late unpleasantness, enlisted personnel used hot water & lye soap to clean their guns, whilst the officers used whiskey.

One thing thats beats all the above?
BALLISTOL, it takes care of evrything

Balistol is my current cleaning compound.

mousegun
July 19, 2008, 06:17 PM
Cleanup at home: hot soapy water & really hot rinse, wipe down with straight Ballistol. Helps to have a Stinger vacuum set up to blow water out of the action. Warm oven (180° F) helps too.

Cleanup in the field: 9:1 water/Ballistol mix in a spritzer from Rite Aid. Fog it down the bore and around the frame and recoil plate, in the chambers and nipples. Toothbrush, rag and pipe cleaners for scrubbing followed by straight Ballistol. Clean gun in ten minutes.

K.A.T.
July 20, 2008, 08:22 AM
Why is everyone wanting to clean at the shooting range? I go to the range to shoot, clean it when I get home. I use lubepills and can shoot at least 100 rounds in a revolver without thinking about doing any cleaning. No crisco melting everywhere, no messy borebutter flying everywhere. You can wipe the bore out with a clean patch if you want to. You can wipe the arbor pin off and add a tad of borebutter to it if you want to. I just shoot at the range, hot soapy water when I get home. Hot soapy water is pretty cheap compared to all the other cleaners. There is not a magical just spray it and forget it.

Hawg
July 20, 2008, 09:08 AM
Why is everyone wanting to clean at the shooting range?

I think a lot of people believe the hype bout bp and think their gun is going to start rusting before they get home. I sometimes go two or three days before I clean mine. Soap and water works for me. Balistol is good for keeping a revolver going but so is just about anything else. I haven't had any for a awhile and I used to be a nutcase about it.

mousegun
July 20, 2008, 11:03 AM
Why is everyone wanting to clean at the shooting range?
I didn't say anything about cleaning at the range. I haven't fired black powder on a range in over two years. Most of my shooting is off road in the boondocks. Sometimes my M1860s lie around in the back of the old Yukon for up to a week. I believe the term I used was "in the field," not "at the range." Cleaning "at the range" or anywhere else is a means to an end, not an end in itself. For me, anyway.

There may be reasons to clean in the field, regardless of whether it's at the range, in the boonies, on a buffler hunt, on a cattle drive to Wichita or at Gettysburg. It just happens and ya can't get back to the kitchen in a timely manner.

I carry a complete field kit in a musette including cleaning gear, paper cartridge makings, ham sandwich, spares, hunting licenses, BLM charts, golden age passes, etc. Weighs about three or four pounds and makes for effective independent study of the opportunities afforded by the great outdoors.

But, Your Mileage May Vary...

W. C. Quantrill
July 20, 2008, 11:28 AM
One thing that is usually available in the field is windshield washer fluid. It's either under the hood or in the toolbox. I never use anything that has vinegar or ammonia in it to clean my rifle. Windshield washer fluid will not harm the paint on your expensive vehicle,,,,,,,,soooooo, likely you can get the gunk out of the barrel without taking the finish off your rifle. Of course, I hunt with a traditional rifle that I built.

Often times I will just pour the barrel full of washer fluid and dump it a couple times, then swab it dry which removes about 98% of the BP salts. When I get time, then it gets scrubbed with hot water and soap.

Oquirrh
July 20, 2008, 11:47 AM
cleaning gear, paper cartridge makings, ham sandwich, spares,

...and with a wad cutter, you can make pretty effective lube patches out of that ham sandwich...

Seriously, I'm a novice who shoots a lot and all the miracle potions I hear about make my head spin. A competitive cowpoke action shooter I met this weekend swears by dipping his balls (OK, get the s[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]ing over with...) in a 50/50 mixture of cartridge case lube and bore butter. No wad, no top lube -- over exactly 35 g of Triple 7.

Which seems reasonable, until he got that fire in his eyes and demanded I promise to load exactly that way, at least until Jesus comes.

I've sworn off all store-bought elixars and 6-cent lubed "miracle" wads. Until I see a significant difference... I'm going with some kind of non-petrol lube (mink oil waterproofing, crisco/parafin/beeswax, over the first 2-3 cylinders (it blows off the rest anyway). I clean with hot water and whatever soap is laying around. And lube with mineral oil made for cutting boards (garage sale) and the mink oil stuff if I need some grease on the cylinder axle. (Confession: I got a glass bottle of Hoppe #9 Plus for BP on a clearance table and I use it as moose milk at the range cause I love the smell).

When that stuff runs out, I'll re-read this threat and try something else. Times is tough.:D

long rider
July 20, 2008, 12:04 PM
Yeah and i never said anything about cleaning
at the range to ?:confused:

mousegun
July 20, 2008, 01:01 PM
...and with a wad cutter, you can make pretty effective lube patches out of that ham sandwich...

That's not a bad idea... can eat what doesn't go out the barrel. :p

Don't need lube patches in the revolvers, but use lube pills as underball wads, mostly... or shoot "nekkid" and loosen up arbor fouling with Ballistol or spit. Tried Crisco, worked fine but got tired of having to keep load fixin's in the cooler. Sometimes temperatures are over 100° where I shoot and most everything lube related turns to goo.

K.A.T.
July 20, 2008, 01:37 PM
If you go back and read the first sentence of this thread at the beginning, it starts off about cleaning at the range. Now, he does state that his reason is because his wife gets him off on other things before he can make it home to clean his gun.

Most of the other conversations about this subject has other people that are worried about their guns either binding up at the range or rusting on the way home. Everyone is looking for that magic cleaning solution that doesn't exist.

My point was this, use lubepills to prevent any need to clean at the range as for as binding up. The gun will be alright untill you get home to clean it, and hot soapy water is cheaper than everything else you can use.

After listening to all the people that has done this for the last 30 years sounds like everything that can be purchased or made at home has been used at one time or the other. Windsheild washer fluid is a new one to me, sounds like a lot of different cleaners can be used.

Now, back to his question, no hot water at the range, I think I would try Ballistrol if that was all the cleaning the gun would get.

Hawg
July 20, 2008, 02:33 PM
Water doesn't really have to be hot. I've just always done it that way.

mousegun
July 20, 2008, 04:33 PM
If I'm shooting my stainless ROA, sometimes I just sneak it into the dishwasher with the dinner dishes. I end up putting the dishes away anyway, so nobody catches on. I have three cylinders for it, and my oldest daughter once wondered what they were for. Told her "making noodles." Her reply? "Oh."