PDA

View Full Version : Best Powder for Cap&Ball Revolvers

Whisk
September 26, 2006, 02:35 PM
I've been using Triple Seven in my 44 Remington New Army.

Relatively clean, not too much smoke, and only 25 grains sends that round ball out there at a pretty good clip. 50 yard accuracy is very good!

One of my buds swears only by black powder. Here in CA its a lot easier to find and purchase one of the black powder substitutes.

Has anyone tried the Pyrodex pellets in a revolver :confused:

oldmaster111
September 27, 2006, 02:22 PM
I used to use Pyrodex pellets in my c&b revolvers and never had any problems with it. I have a .51 Navy and a .58 Remington both .44 cal.:D

Dave Haven
September 28, 2006, 12:15 AM
I've tried FFFG black powder and Pyrodex P in my Ruger Old Army. Triple Seven works better than either.

Smokin_Gun
September 28, 2006, 02:03 AM
I haven't found 777 ffg to be as consistant as Black Powder. With BP you can seat the ball with out having to worry about it being too compressed, as recommended by Hogdon. Also you don't need to worry about 15% more powerful when shootin' BP. 777 was developed for modern muzzleloading rifles like In-lines. The sharp crack like smokelss powders compared to the loud thunder of BP tells you there is a differant pressure curve. That sharpness of 777 is hard on a C&B Rev. Tried it in Colt and Rems. Shot 18 rounds of 777 ffg 28 gr by volume loads=to 32.2gr of fffg BP in my 1860 Army and sheared both locating pins off in the frame. Not sayin don't use 777 but use much lighter loads if you do. I ain't using it myself anymore...just Black powder for me.
Pic of the broken pins shootin' 777 ffg.
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/9be17b87a0.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

Whisk
September 28, 2006, 02:59 PM
One thing about Triple Seven is its real easy to clean up.

I notice that a lot of my buds that shoot a lot tho, do the real thing (BP).

Guess they like the "authenticity" and all the smoke and the clean up ritual :D

Maybe I'll get there. Its just harder to get BP here in CA.

This afternoon gonna try 100 gr of Triple 7 with powerbelt boolets (in my 50 cal rifle)

Whisk
September 28, 2006, 09:12 PM
I just did 20 rounds with my 50 cal rifle. Used 100 grs of Triple 7 behind hollow point power belts.

Worked great! Target (gong) at 50 yds sighted in and hit it every time!

Clean up easier than revolver!

Wish you could hunt BP here with scope!

Flintlock Tom
October 3, 2006, 05:32 PM
After all the good things I've heard about 777 I wanted to try some.
I went to buy some last week and got sticker shock: almost $30.00 per pound!
BP goes for $9 or $10 per pound. Is $30 a reasonable price or do I need to shop around?

Whisk
October 3, 2006, 06:25 PM
I paid $23 for a pound. I thought that kind of expensive but BP is hard to come by here in CA. One pound has lasted me awhile now. Using it for both New Army 44 and CVA Wolf 50 cal.

Gotta go get another pound. Unless I find a better deal, I'm getting another $23/lb. jug I guess........ :D

Smokin_Gun
October 4, 2006, 12:29 AM
Whisk stop over here to the Gunshop in Lancaster, CA (Antelope Valley) get all the Holy Black you want you want . Where is Ceres, CA in relation to L.A.?

Whisk
October 4, 2006, 12:54 PM
Live in Ceres.

Have Bro in Bako.

Run cows both places.

Ceres is up by Galt. Cow country.

Up I-5 or 95 toward Sacto around Oakdale area..........

(bro posts here too -- don't make it "over the mountains" too much but will stop by [one or the other of us] sometime)

.......... ordering lube pills from nice lady back East too ...............

(We'll stop by somethime tho........ As Dennis Rodman would say: "Bofe uv us...." ) :D

Smokin_Gun
October 4, 2006, 11:02 PM
Sounds good Whisk drop me an email and let me know if you do.
You'll be real happy with the lube pills. Rifle and Junk yard Dog are good people. Been up your way a couple times on my bike (99?) to Oroville 1000mi. round trip. Nice country up there.

Whisk
October 5, 2006, 10:04 AM
I mighta pissed her off a bit by just assuming I'd make check out to hubby. She quickly corrected me that it may be his recipe but she makes 'em (make check out to her) :D

I especially like the idea of being able to keep a cyl loaded without the lube melting whilst in my rig!

I would bet a section that your bike is a Harley (kinda goes along with the BP thing.....)

My wife said she'd let me get one someday, once I buy enough insurance to keep her in the lifestyle she would like to become acustomed to..... :D :D

Smokin_Gun
October 5, 2006, 04:04 PM
LoL at what Junk Yard Dog told you....good one.
Nope Whisk it ain't a Harley, I'm a poor Biker/Cowboy...got an 1978 Goldwing. Have had it 7 years and still makin' the trips without goin' to the shop...HeeHee! I am in the Club though ... Bikers and Cowboys both ride and like to carry Iron...LoL!

Whisk
October 7, 2006, 10:54 AM
Got a cop buddy who bought a used Gold Wing for next to nothin' and its still a goin'!

Makes sense to carry some iron whether you ride an iron horse or hay burnin! :)