PDA

View Full Version : Repro Theur Conversion Kits - Check this out!

Griswold
September 25, 2006, 12:16 PM
I was trying to dig up details about conversions, re my post of yesterday, when I found this link on the Theur kit <http://www.hege-arms.com/Conversions2.html> It's cool! Has anybody actually seen one? Note : The link may not come up copied from this post - try hege-arms.com as well, or seek under "Revolver conversions" in "images."

Smokin_Gun
September 26, 2006, 01:53 AM
Is this the Thuer your' talkin' about?
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.d8af19085a.jpg (http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?d8af19085a.jpg)
If so they aren't available for Import to the U.S. for some reason. A dang shame too. If someone else is Importing them let me know, but I think this is the same site pic.

Seth Hawkins
September 26, 2006, 11:39 AM
Anyone know why this can't be imported to the US?

I'd love to add a pair of these to my collection.;)

gunslinger454
October 14, 2006, 02:01 AM
Didn't Cimarron look at importing a Theur conversion a few years ago?

I'd love to add one to my collection, but even if the revolvers were successfully imported someone would still have to be convinced to make ammunition, or at least brass, for them to be successful. My knowledge about the Theur Conversion is admittedly very limited, but I don’t see a replica Theur being converted to .44 Colt (or any other existing cartridge) anytime soon. But hey, they talked Starline into making brass for the .44 Colt so who knows?

It’s too bad the photo on the link above doesn’t show the conversion installed on the revolver; I would have liked to see what it looked like in use. If anyone has a pic of a Thuer conversion revolver I would love to have a look at it.

JA

P.S. Here is a copy of the pic on the website listed above.

marcseatac
October 14, 2006, 02:23 AM
Since you were looking for conversion kit info here are a couple links to Buffalo Arms website.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,303.html

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,357.html

Newton24b
July 7, 2009, 08:48 PM
information on the actual cartridge cylinder is scarce. Some period sources refer to it coming with the cartridge cylinder as well as the standard percussion cylinder.
The british government did testing of it in the period, and it was put into a british newspaper. On the internet, that article, and most of the british news rag articles on period weapons trials is located in a not so easy to find place run by a guy in the uk.
In this article, it refered to the cartridges being kept "inside" the cylinder by them being caught upon a groove or recess inside the conversion ring. However, the period illustration of the gun shows no such ring in the conversion ring.
I cannot find the original patent data for the actual conversion cylinder and firing pin system as used on the revolvers. But in his patent drawings for the reloading system, he drew the casings to be perfect tubes, like your wifes lipstick tube and like the hyrdraulic cylinder tube on your log splitter.

But unfornately, surving ammunition falls into two categories, perfect tubes as drawn in his loading system patent, and in tapered form as shown by pictures online of cartridges for the 31 and 36 caliber conversions using his system.
Sadly, most people do not want to get a thuer conversion at this time. Most of them dont know that his patent technically included the use of rimmed cartridges loading from the rear as a circumvention of the whit patents held by sw.
Also, at this time id like to get something like the thuer done in america as a way to preclude someone from having to spend 1200 on what is now a rare collectible weapon.

Bootsie
July 8, 2009, 02:01 AM
HEGE/Messkirch has stalled their Thuer project because the gunsmith who is doing it is having health issues.
There is a German gunsmith by the name of Müller-Zimmermann, email [email protected] who is doing a special order production of Thuers using Uberti parts. That was published earlier this year in German gun journal DWJ.
I had a Belgian Centaure converted to Thuer by Austrian gunsmith Karl Nedbal www.nedbal.at last year. If you are interested and without blowing my own horn check the picture story of The Making of the Thuer at www.1960nma.org, click Conversions and browse down to Centaure Thuer.
Nedbal is doing Thuer conversions regularly, usually using Italian replicas as the base gun. A friend of mine had an old Uberti 1860 converted to Thuer by Nedbal last Fall. The Nedbal Thuers are designed as shooters in line with the original construction of the Colt Thuer from the late 1860s. Nedbal is lathing Thuer .44 cases from .44 Mag cases and is also re-making the Thuer loading tool. I load my Thuer cases with BP under a 200 gr HB conical ball using such a tool.
I don't know about importing "European Made" Thuers into the USA.
Bootsie aka Long Johns Wolf

Smokin_Gun
July 9, 2009, 01:40 AM
Now I believe I know Bootsie ... I'll still send ya SN925 to have that done for me :O) I know ya would ifin ya could...