PDA

View Full Version : Elevated targets

Duxman
September 11, 2006, 10:49 AM
One of the IPSC courses this weekend consisted of:

Box A: Shoot through porthole 4 metal plates and 2 IPSC targets @ 20-30 feet. Elevation about 3-5 degrees up.

Box B: Shoot 6 metal plates elevated about 5 degrees slope.

Box C: Same as box A.

I ran dry - carrying 6 magazines. Because all my shots going to Box B was low and left. Is there any trick to shooting at targets on an elevated slope?

Even though I slowed down my shots and got my sights dead on - I missed.

Help please! :p

YoungKiwi
September 11, 2006, 11:23 PM
At that short range, no real trick, Sorry.

But if you firing though a port and up at a target you may find you were looking down on your pistol rather than along it.

Failing that, some days you hit things, some days you don't. *SHRUG*

Lurper
September 12, 2006, 12:54 AM
Dux you gotta watch that front sight. If it was on the target, that's where the bullet will hit. At those ranges, the incline makes no difference. You probably let the ports psych you out. When you think about shooting a stage, you need to think about the positive. In this case, you need to think (visualize) front sight on the target, press the trigger. Approach it as if the ports aren't even there. The only thing they do is make the shot more difficult in your mind. The same is true of no-shoots. Too many people think "don't hit the no-shoot" and of course they do. That's because they are focusing on the no-shoot, not the shot. The no-shoot is a non issue, see the target without it, put the sight center mass and press the trigger.

If you really believe that your sights were on the target and you didn't hit, you were probably blinking when you fired.

Duxman
September 12, 2006, 07:33 AM
Thanks Lurper. As usual terrific advice.

And by the way, that no-shoot situation happened to me exactly.

It was like a european style no shoot - like an open toilet lid and you were forced to engage the target inside the lid. Challenging. Hit the no shoot twice.