PDA

View Full Version : Sidelock for Elk (search would'nt work)

Long-Goodbye
August 27, 2006, 09:31 PM
Before anybody says anything I tried and could not get the search to work.

I am traditional bow hunter so I am used to stalking in close for a shot.So which would be a good mid priced side lock muzzle-loader for elk and of course what load bullet combo do you recommend.I am not interested in any modern muzzle-loader of any sort.I am thinking Lyman but I would love some advise.Thanks.

hawken50
August 27, 2006, 10:13 PM
http://tcarms.com/TC_IMAGES/TC_Muzzle_Images/INFO_MZZLE-Hawken-Bty.jpg

i have used mine on whitetail with good results out to 100yrds. very accurate for what it is. i've never hunted elk, but i'd assume going a touch bigger than .50cal wouldn't hurt. i'm almost positive you can get them in .54cal as well.

but then, you can never go wrong with a lyman great plains rifle.

Steve499
August 28, 2006, 04:01 PM
Depending on the regulations, a Whitworth or Volunteer rifle would be quite good for elk. The long .45 caliber, 500 something grain bullet should have the capability of dumping an elk handily. I know some states have a restriction on the bullets allowed, the length restricted to some multiple of the diameter of the bullet, which excludes the Whitworth and Volunteer with their long bullets. In that case, one of the .58 caliber rifled muskets would be my next preference.

Steve

Wayner
August 29, 2006, 09:17 AM
Lyman has the 32" barrel for a few extra ft.lbs. and with the "Hunter Barrel" that is a shallow groove fast twist 1-32 twist(???maybe 1-28??) for heavier conicals. There are Green Mountain fast twist barrels for the T/C Hawken too and they fit the Investarms Traditional Hawken Cabelas sells. Pedersoli sells a Tryon Target rifle that fires heavy conicals. Well theres that T/C black stocked(synthetic) side lock with that "fire ring breech" or is it "the fire storm?) Anyway that is a fast twist fer conicals too. Anywhoooo....with a good weight maxi bullet or the Lyman Great Plains bullet weighing in the high 300+ grains for 50cal. and the 54 cal. getting into the 400+ gr. range it should do the trick out to 150yards with a good powder charge of 100+ grains of FFg. The round ball at close range is a "good" killer if it's got some weight like the 54 or better yet the 58cal. ball. I fergit what a 58 ball weighs but it's heavy enough if the range is close with a long enough barrel. Well that's my opinion. hee hee :) I should add that rounded nose bullets should be ignored and the bullets with the flat "wide" meplate would be more ethical for quicker kills and less tracking. A bullet that mushrooms wouldn't be a good as one that has some diameter and can shoot clean thru the kill zone side to side. Two holes work better than one and for sure better than one hole that doesn't go far enough thru the vitals. Of course some research into the terminal ballistics of the vaulted "Barnes copper bullet" would be interesting since I've read that it is a superior hunting bullet for deer. I would assume the heavier bullet,like the 54cal. saboted fired from a 58cal. fast twist barrel (if ya can find one) would work well. Never heard anything adverse about the Barnes bullet fer muzzleloaders. It opens up but retains almost 100% of it's weight. Lead retains weight pretty good too though. Anywhooo....what ever bullet and cal. used the heavier the better and the powder charge would certainly be a minimum of 100gr. FFg blackpowder. Good hunting Bud.

arcticap
August 29, 2006, 11:14 AM
One of my local gunshops has at least a few used .54 caliber TC Renegades for sale. This caliber would be good for elk and the prices are reasonable too if you can locate one, well under $200 ($150-$175). Getting a lifetime factory warranty on a used rifle is hard to beat.

Long-Goodbye
August 30, 2006, 07:12 PM
Thanks guys.I am more a believer of penetration as apposed to expansion.I would like tho cut the biggest hole possible and all the way through.

tinker2
August 31, 2006, 02:43 PM
Long-Goodbye

You didn’t say if you wanted flint or percussion, smooth
bore or rifled.

The muzzle loaders that I use the most for deer and large
game are large smooth bores. Mostly flint lock.

I find smooth bores more versatile, more fun.

Tinker2

sundance44s
August 31, 2006, 03:31 PM
Something you might consider .. I shoot a 54 cal. Thompson .. sidelock for deer . The Thompson rifle has a 1 in 48" twist barrel ..which means it shoots round balls or bullets well .. in the bullet dept a buffalo bullet ( no sabot ) is a good straight shooter in the 54 cal .. and heavy enough to knock down large game . This would be my choice for black powder Elk .. it`s a bit over kill on a white tail deer... but turns them off like flipping a switch ,the 54 cal round balls are enough . The buffalo bullets are 425 gr. and come pre lubed in a box of 20 . If i had a camera i`d show ya some groups benched at 50 and 75 yards that are hard to beat . These are tack drivers , and hit like a train wreck .

Doubletaptap
September 3, 2006, 12:04 PM
Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .54cal. Flint or Percussion. 32" rifled 1in 48 twist for ball or bullet. Well balanced,very accurate and a beauty of a quality gun.
Nuff said

4V50 Gary
September 4, 2006, 12:29 AM
Sidelock with reach? Try a Parker-Hale Enfield musketoon. 24" long barrel makes it a very handly little carbine. No patches to mess with either. Just drop 65 grains FF plus one minie ball, and you can reach past 100 yards. Mind you, stalking up close is much better.