PDA

View Full Version : Rem 700 questions!

Northslope Nimrod
August 18, 2006, 03:46 PM
1. How are they in bad weather? Looks like nothing is sealed.
2. Any other issues?
3. What is a good used price for the ML model (black, with synthetic black stock)? I found a used one in good condition for $180.
4. It looks like Remington stopped making them. Their web site only has the Genesis models. Why? Will that pose a problem if I ever need parts?

timothy75
August 19, 2006, 09:05 AM
Try posting in art of the rifle forum. We're all stuck in the 19nth century.

arcticap
August 19, 2006, 12:23 PM
I believe he's asking about the Remington 700 ML (muzzle loader) which has recently been discontinued.
They are built to have fast lock time by using a firing pin much like the Remington 700. I've never heard anything bad about them, you just need to clean any powder residue out from the firing pin channel after shooting to keep it from getting sticky in the long term.
There is a generic cover that can weatherize the open action area. I've seen them for sale at some Walmarts, maybe it's made by TC, or wrap something homemade around that small open area if necessary.
The price seems fair if it's in good shape, and I wouldn't think parts should be a problem but who knows? Plenty of those models have been made over the years though.

BigV
August 28, 2006, 08:59 AM
I can give some input on the Rem. 700 Muzzleloader.
I had one as well as a good friend and his son. None of us has them any longer.
The main problem we (all) had was the design of the main spring inside the bolt. The blowback from black powder would go directly inside the bolt and cover the main spring with residue. At the range, the spring would hang up after 10 to 15 shots due to the build up of residue, and the gun would not fire. If you don’t take the bolt apart after shooting, the main spring will rust up in a few short days. On the up side, this was one of the most accurate ML rifles I have shot. My personal opinion would be to shy away from this gun.
Hope this helps.