PDA

View Full Version : sighting in muzzle loader

Kato_Guy
August 15, 2006, 09:23 PM
ok a friend of mine just bought an omega z5 or whatever it is. We went out to shoot to see how it does at 100.

100 yards- we could not hit the 2ftX2ft card board

40 yards- could not even hit 2x2 card board.

25 yards finally onbut 8 inches high and 6 inches right

With me so far?? Ok my question is how the heck do you move the sights?? Move the rear sight left shoots left move it down shoots high?? Am I right?? I have no clue what he did. My omega was right on out of the box so I don't know how to sight in an open sight gun please help!!!

remember on the new omega they have the slide rail sight not the regular old.

thanks forr your help!!

Kato_Guy
August 15, 2006, 09:38 PM
ok guys!! I think I got it fingered out here!!I read on internet the if you want your group to move right, move the rear sight to the right.

Thanks for anyone whe even thought about helping!!

Great shooting !!!!!

P-990
August 16, 2006, 06:36 AM
Yep.

Move the rear sight where you need the group to go. Down to go down, right to go right.

My Encore had a similar issue out of the box. It was shooting something in the neighborhood of 12-14" above my POA at 50 yards! I actually had to resort to a new front sight to get it on paper! :eek:

Good luck with that Omega though. Should be a good shooter once you've got it sorted out.

Wild Bill Bucks
August 16, 2006, 11:14 AM
Save yourself a lot of time and trouble, by pulling the plug on your barrel, and bore sight a target at 25 yards through the barrel. Make your adjustments to the sight, while looking through the bore to your target.

This should get you on the paper at 25 yards, and if you take your time doing it, should get you 2 or 3" from being where you want to be.
It will save a lot of wear and tear on your shoulder also.:D

Put gun in a vise, on the kitchen table, and sight out of the window. Don't know about where you are but the temperature is 106 degrees here. Be a lot cooler in your kitchen.;)

armedandsafe
August 16, 2006, 11:53 AM
I can never remember which way to move the sights, so I use something Dad taught me many years ago. Hold your hands out, fingers pointing down range, one hand over the other. Point the lower hand (the "barrel") at the point of impact and the upper hand (the "sights") at the center of the target. The direction you have to move your upper hand to get the sights looking at the point of impact is the direction you have to move the sights. Works for me. :D

Pops

sundance44s
August 16, 2006, 12:01 PM
Always remember moveing the rear sight ..always move the rear in the direction you want the bullet to go ... the front sight adjustment is just backwards of that .