PDA

View Full Version : This one is stumping me

charlie in md
August 14, 2006, 06:09 PM
I have a CVA .54 in-line that is very accurate with 295 grain copper powerbelt aero-tips. It shoots 1 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards. I tried 295 grain lead powerbelt hollow points, with the same powder charge (100 grain equivalent of 777), and they are all over the place. Does anyone have any ideas on why this is happening and what I can do to get the hollowpoints to group better? :confused:

Pointer
August 14, 2006, 07:11 PM
Try a heavier projectile...

This will likely make it more stable in flight...
It will have to be longer at a greater weight and theoretically it will spin better when it leaves the muzzle..

:)

armedandsafe
August 15, 2006, 10:07 AM
You are probably deforming the lead bullet more than the copper one, and that affects accuracy. Try a heavier bullet or a lesser/greater charge. I would start with 85 0r 90 grains and work the charges until the accuracy improves, then fine tune.

Pops

Wild Bill Bucks
August 15, 2006, 10:22 AM
I would try sabots. Lots of guys can't get the belted bullets to shoot very well in their guns, mine included. Has to do with the rifleings, and twist rate I think. I'm shooting a 1 in 28 twist in a 50 caliber,and I have tried several different power belt bullets, and I can not get any of them to shoot groups as well as I can when I put a saboted bullet down the throat.

2" groups at 50 yards and 5"groups at 100 with belted bullets.

Same hole groups at 50 yards and 1 1/2" groups with saboted bullets.

charlie in md
August 15, 2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm going to try reducing the load a bit and see what happens.

Wayner
August 18, 2006, 09:53 AM
I bet the copper bullet is a little small in diameter but being harder can grap the rifling. The lead bullet is probably a little small in diameter and being softer it may be stripping thru the rifling without spinning much. More powder may "bump" it up upon firing but.....I bet you need to figure what the groove diameter is in your rifle and get lead bullets pretty close to that. If you can't get lead bullets to fit to the grooves don't use them. Maybe you should try a Hornady Great Plains hollow point? Also if the bullet doesn't go "in" the barrel straight it then doesn't come out straight or shoot straight. Barnes has an attachment to go on the end of your rsamrod that helps keep the bullet loading straight. I think with the lead Power Belt it just doesn't fit your barrel well (tight enough). There are Hornady lead bullets(Great Plains Bullets) that are hollow based also that work wonders for sealing the gases and ensuring the bullet takes the rifling. Lee makes a mould for "Improved minnies" that work real well in fast twist rifles.

charlie in md
August 19, 2006, 10:53 AM
I reduced the chrarge by 10%, but that didn't help. I'm sticking with the copper.

Doubletaptap
August 20, 2006, 03:38 PM
If the rifle is new it will take awhile to break in the barrel also. It's possible you could lap the bore with some 3M green scruccies to take the sharp metal off the riflings.
I would be shooting 100gr with heavy bullets or more.
Also make sure when you load the bullet that it's not getting canted off to one side. They should go down straight as possible and with only 1 or 2 strokes. If you are having to "Hammer" them in,it's probably deforming your bullet on the way down.
I use 125grFFG for sabots in my .54.
And 1 1/2" groups at 50 yards ain't so good for that rifle.
You should get touching holes at that range.
Experiment with different charges,different bullets and you'll find what she likes and stick to it!!
Enjoy!!!

charlie in md
August 23, 2006, 11:25 AM
Doubletaptap - Thanks for the advice, but the rifle is not new. I've had it for about 12 years. The bullets aren't hard to drive down the barrel, but I am probably deforming the lead tips some. I don't think it is enough to cause the problem.

I'll pay the extra $3 for the copper aerotips. :) The accuracy level I get with them is fine for where I hunt. The furthest shot I've taken was 65 yards, the average is about 35 yards, and the last deer I harvested with them was at 12 yards.

Doubletaptap
August 26, 2006, 03:29 PM
Well good hunting Charlie!!!
Say, you ever think of getting a Green Mountain barrel for that rifle?
I was thinking if it's 12 years old it may be worn causing the accuracy problem?
But you got it accurate enough to hunt with.
Enjoy!