PDA

View Full Version : Help for new interested shooter

rebelwon
August 9, 2006, 05:25 PM
Hey, y'all...

I have decided to combine two of my interests...shooting sports and Civil War history...and am looking to purchase a reproduction cap-n-ball revolver. I got attracted to the idea by the arrival of the Bass Pro Hunting catalog, when I spied the Traditions black powder revolvers in the catalog. Since, I have been trying to do some research so I will have the best experience, and hoped y'all could give me some advice. I have been shooting modern centerfire shotguns/rilfes/pistols for nearly 30 years, and would like to try something new that I think would be a blast (in more ways than one!).

I have decided that the '58 Remington design is what I would like to start with based on design strength and ease of operation/cleaning. Basspro offers only the Traditions brass frame (I am stuck on Basspro because I have a significant amount of rewards $$ on their credit card!).

I am looking for basic, introductory BP revolver from which I will fire about 100-200 rds/year plinking. After reviewing a lot of the other posts here, I have a few questions that, although amatuerish, I hope some folks can help me make some decisions:

1. Does anyone know who currently manufactures the Traditions 1858s? any opinions about quality/reliability? steel vs. brass given my expected use?

2. Would I be better off using my Basspro rewards $$ on accessories and ordering the revolver elsewhere (suggestions? pietta vs. uberti vs. Euro?)?

3. Best powder options/ball size/wads for plinking with the '58 Remington?

4. The most difficult question: does anyone know of any public/private range in MD where I can shoot this beast at water jugs/cans, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your welcomed advice.

bdarin
August 9, 2006, 09:03 PM
Dixie Gun Works and Cabelas, to name 2 of several, sell all kinds of antique arms. The Italian repros are of excellent quality (Uberti, Pietta). Brass frame guns are ok, but if you ever want to get a centerfire conversion cylinder for your gun you'll need the steel frame model....the one with a backstrap over the cylinder.
.36 & .44 are the only 2 calibers they come in. Have both, no preference, both fun. Can't help you in Maryland as I'm in NY (the vampire state). Good luck.

sundance44s
August 10, 2006, 12:34 AM
One thing for sure i`d spend the 20 extra bucks and get the steel frame model remington ... expecially if you are into the civil war history aspects of it ..from all my rescearch the brass frame remington never existed except in the minds of the Itilian makers of today . another thing these remington pistols will impress you with the way they function and the tight groups they will shoot .... another good reason to buy the steel frame .. you`ll want to play with it alot .. it`s cheap to shoot and experiment with loads . I started out with a pair of the brassers and have since traded off and now own 4 steel frame 44 remingtons with 2 conversion cylinders to shoot the 45 cartrages ... the fun never ends and 1 is never enough .. i can`t tell ya how many new shooters to our sport i`ve brought in just by putting a remington in their hands and letting them fire a few rounds ... I beleive the traditions remingtons are made by Pietta .... good guns .

Smokin_Gun
August 10, 2006, 03:02 AM
Bdarin has some good points. And Sundance nailed it on the head.
I recommend an 1858 Remington new Army .44 whatever mfg you want is about how much you wanna spend. Cabelas sell Pietta 1858 .44 for $179.99...a price that's hard to beat. Traditions also sell Piettas. Taylors sell Both Uberti and Piettas in most all models. EMF is a very good source for Pietta Revs.
Whatever you get measure the chambers diameter(dial calipers) you'll want the ball you buy ..003" to .005" larger than that chamber size. .451, .454,
.457 are standard balls sold...Lee make a .452" mold to cast your own.
Pietta yousually take a .451, in which a .454 will fit as well. Uberti usually take a .454 to .457. I'm talkin' 1858 rems here mostly, the rules may very with Colt replicas.
Almost forgot...I have found that Goex fffg Black Powder or any Black Powder works the best for me...substitutes will work ok, but my money for consistancy and accuracy is on Black powder fffg for pistols. Nothin' quite like the "Holy Black"...24gr startin load I shoot 28gr, 30 to 40gr is fun...LoL!
Get that Rem you won't be sorry. Whe n you get it to it ask me about homemade lube pills and will tell ya how to keep them shootin' all day without um binding up from hard fouling.
It's a kick in the ass no matter what you end up with...very addicting too.
Let us know what you get.

SG

wrcook
August 10, 2006, 09:28 AM
Go with a steel frame Remmington. They look right. They shoot pretty well, even in the rain. My original Remmington lasted three stages before it was too wet to load. I had no misses. For some reason that I have'nt figgured out the Remington is louder than the Colt.

Bill

bdarin
August 10, 2006, 09:39 AM
Additionally....the brass frame models were used by the confederacy cuz it was all they could make with their limited resources. But boy did they have cotton!!:p Also, use FFFg real stuff if you can. Pyrodex works but is more corrosive,:barf: or at least the by-products of combustion are. Rust will show up a lot sooner with Pyro than with the real deal.

rebelwon
August 10, 2006, 04:31 PM
Thanks to all for the advice on '58 Remington .44 revolvers. I am definitely going to go for a steel frame, the only question is from whom to purchase. I obviously like Cabelas' prices (although that is not a major consideration). I have to wonder, is Cabelas dredging the bottom of Pietta's quality barrell? before I order...I have seen a number of posts describing various fit-n-finish issues, and browsing the various online suppliers, seen a variety of prices that make me wonder if one supplier's overall quality of product is superior versus another. I am sure Cabelas gets a price break for quantity, but I want a reliable piece that will be good out of the box. Any additional thoughts?

arcticap
August 10, 2006, 06:10 PM
I would buy taking into consideration the return policy, price, and the reputation of the seller to honor their return policy without any hassels. Whether it was from Cabela's, Midway or some other distributor may be secondary depending on who has the item I want in stock ready to ship.
There may be nuances with the major makers and different models that you may want to learn more about by doing thread searches, but if you've already made up your mind, you're on your way to being either a very happy or somewhat dissatisfied customer. ;)

Smokin_Gun
August 11, 2006, 01:10 AM
Have not had any problems with Cabelas purchases. Bought two 1858 Pietta Rems from them with great finnished, exlent clock work, and dead accurate.
The New Piettas are top of the line and like Articap said, if you aren't pleased with it call them I think they even send a call tag for UPS..not sure. They send you as many as it would take to please you.
Yo can also buy Ubertis for about $240 or $250 .. but that's up to you. Euroarms makes an 1858 which I concider excellant and is $190 from S&S Firearms.
You wouldn't be sorry for ordering a Pietta from Cabelas in my opinion.

Doubletaptap
August 11, 2006, 02:51 AM
Uberti or Pedersoli is about the best.
Why don't you visit the Muzzleloader Magazine Campfire(I hope I don't get tossed for mentioning this) they are 1750-1840 era folks and there's tons of info for what you need. Also links to vendors.
Blackpowder is a lot of fun and before you know it you will be wanting more guns of different varities!!!
If possible I'd avoid any brass frame revolver that isn't a quality brand as Pedersoli or Uberti. They have some problems with stress cracking. You get a cheap one ot may not last long.
Then again, there's some that last forever. Go figger?
Whatever you do, enjoy the hobby!!!

mec
August 11, 2006, 12:10 PM
I recently bought a Remington Pocket model .31 from cabelas because they were the only ones advertising a steel frame in that size. Order was without hitches and the revolver was very well done. One more piece of evidence that Pietta has improved quality control quite a bit.

rebelwon
August 14, 2006, 06:55 PM
Thanks again to everyone for all of the advice. I have decided to order the steel frame '58 Remington Pietta repro from Cabelas. I had the chance over the weekend to speak to a Traditions rep at Basspro (that does not offer the steel frame), and even he suggested that the steel frame was the better piece versus brass. Will let you know how it turns out.