PDA

View Full Version : Black powder novelty cannon?

jhgreasemonkey
July 28, 2006, 06:34 PM
If one were to make a black powder cannon for 4th of july type purposes. Not to actualy shoot anything out of but just for the Boom. Would there be danger using a steel pipe that is roughly 1/3" thick steel. It is from a construction heavy load bearing rack. There is an even thicker steel cap welded on one end. The pipe has an opening of about 1 1/2" to 2". Can cut to any length probably about 3 feet. The pipe will have a bore drilled for cannon fuse and be attached to a weighted hand truck layed down. How much powder is safe? Also I dont think there is but is there any legal issues to be aware of? Thanks.

arcticap
July 28, 2006, 10:26 PM
Here a referral URL link to a website that has a "Cannon Forum". There are knowledgable and experienced cannon shooters there that can answer your questions:

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/fusionbb.php?referral/4225/

Hafoc
July 29, 2006, 09:51 AM
I suppose you already thought of this, but they do have ready-made cannons that use carbide for fuel. They sound easy to operate and they look good.

(Carbide is cool stuff. Drip water on it, and it gives off acetylene gas. Spark it, and kaPOW!)

bdarin
July 29, 2006, 10:22 AM
I wouldn't even THINK about firing that cannon. Sounds like cheap, crappy, soft steel that may rupture under load. The only way to determine it's limit is to do destuctive testing. Sounds dangerous. I'd use the carbide version....much safer.;)

4V50 Gary
July 29, 2006, 10:28 AM
To shoot projectiles, NO.

jhgreasemonkey
July 31, 2006, 01:38 PM
Thanks for all the info. And I will look into the carbide and the canon forum.