PDA

View Full Version : BP Storage Temp??

Vinagre
July 16, 2006, 11:12 PM
Good afternoon,

Summer is here and it gets toasty (110F +/-) during the day in my garage where I store in a locked cabinet a can of 3fg that I use with my Uberti. I have done some googling and can't seem to find a temperature range for safe storage of black powder. Does anyone know what the upper temperature limits are for the storage of black powder? Thanks in advance....:)

sundance44s
July 17, 2006, 07:39 AM
I have a friend that tested the flash point of black powder vs. pyrodex ..he did the test in his oven with small piles of powder on a cookie pan ... at 350 the black powder ignited and it took 600 to ignite the pyrodex . I know in my metal shop the temp in the mid summer is around 110 or so ..and it bothered me too ..so i moved all my powder to a wooden shed where the temp is 20 degrees cooler ..just keep it dry ..and my metal shop sweats and the wooden shed doesn`t .

bdarin
July 17, 2006, 03:12 PM
I guess if your house is hot enough to set off the powder you got bigger problems than 1 can of powder going off. There was a similar thread on this subject regarding storing BP in a locked car. Again, you wouldn't be able to get close enough to the car to worry about being hit with the powder blast. 350's pretty hot for skin.:D

sundance44s
July 17, 2006, 07:33 PM
Thats true us humans can only take 350 degrees for about / what seconds / our melting point is much lower . It is kinda scary to feel a tin can of powder as hot as 110 or so . Just makes me nervous ..lol

Doubletaptap
July 17, 2006, 10:39 PM
Usually powder is pretty safe in high temps.
The main thing is if you store it, don't store it in a sealed container like a lockdown lid military ammo can.
The powder bottles and cans are made to fizzle if they get hot, they won't explode. The plastic will melt on the bottles and the solder will melt on the cans. But if they fizzle inside a sealed container, you got a explosion.
Me and some crazy friends put a can of Goex and a bottle of Pyrodex in a campfire once.(I am much better now!) All that happened was a huge fizzle and a bunch of smoke. They're made that way so they don't explode.
I'd say find a comfortable spot for em' and store em.
Just don't seal em' inside of anything.
I keep mine in my bedroom in a military ammo can but I don't lock the lid down.