PDA

View Full Version : 1860 Shooting High

mg66
July 5, 2006, 03:56 PM
At 25 yards the only way I can get my Uberti 1860 to shoot at aim point is to load it with 37 grains of Pyrodex P, a lubricated Wonderwad and a .454" Hornady ball. So I have a couple of questions.

1. Is 37 grains too much to shoot all the time?

2. Only other way I can see is to add to the front sight height (not really a viable solution) or try to open up the rear sight V. Any suggestions so I can lower the loads and not work on the sights. I dont think so, but am open to suggestions.

timothy75
July 5, 2006, 04:09 PM
Wow only a foot, you got an accurate one! Thats kinda the nature of the beast when shooting C&B guns most do hit high. 37 grains is fine but with a lubed wad underneath you could be contaminating some powder when packed so tight. Try some measurments with lube on top and you might get there with less powder. If your worried about pressure try RS instead of P. Of course I'd just live with it and aim low, since 25 yards is a long way. Also try shooting with a death grip, that usually bring me down a few inches. Good Luck

mg66
July 5, 2006, 05:23 PM
LOL ... All these years shooting cartridge pistol and relvolver making sure I just hold it firm, not too tight ... sure, a death grip should come naturally now :rolleyes:

Guess after my New Army with a few licks of a file on the front sight (was shooting about 6" low @ 25 yards) had it shooting spot on at 25 yards I was hoping the it would be just the same. Think I'll try 30 grains and use a lower aim point. It was shooting about 8" high with 30 and pretty well spot on center.

Thanks for the feedback timothy75.

Easy E
July 5, 2006, 05:47 PM
Everything I've ever read indicates that the 1860s always shoot high. Mine certainly agrees with this. It prints about 10" high at 25 yds. I seem to recall reading that they were intended to shoot to POA at 50 yds.

mg66
July 6, 2006, 04:05 AM
I seem to recall reading that they were intended to shoot to POA at 50 yds.

If that is the case then my 1860 certainly holds true also.

mec
July 6, 2006, 08:03 PM
I've found that loads that are on at 25 yards shoot pretty flat out to 75 or 80. 37 grains or the equivalent of pyrodex p is a good chamberfull. I'm satisfied with 35 for full loads. I've broken 1100 fps with a .454 ball and 40 grains of swiss black and pyrodex P. The only problem is that, especially with wonderwads under the ball, It puts a lot of strain on the loading lever getting everything down in the chamber.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19306&stc=1&d=1152234134
two hand standing
Still rising. The revolver hits right on top of the sight picture at 25 yards.

Vinagre
July 7, 2006, 03:49 AM
My Uberti is spot on and I use the following: 30 grains FFFg then a .457 ball topped off with a glob of crisco (nothing inbetween the ball & powder).:)

mg66
July 8, 2006, 03:51 PM
I think I have settled on a load, although a bit hot it should do the trick. The spread at 15 yards is me not the gun :rolleyes: Details at http://www.bghi.us/hunt_pics/1860_01.jpg

gmatov
July 8, 2006, 11:53 PM
Here's a unique answer, one I, at least, have never heard put forth before.

Do you think it possible Col. Colt decided it would be easy for ANYONE to reduce his front sight, with a stone, if necessary, or his rear sight with a borrowed file?

Easier than with a Rem for rear sight, though the front sight post will file down quite easily.

Problem is if you shoot light loads one day, heavy the next, you HAVE to use Kentucky windage, WVA elevation. No adjustment, just your eyes and the sights.

If you don't know how to adjust your hold for your load you are going to have to learn.

Cheers,

George