PDA

View Full Version : Newbie wannabe needs info...

ArcherAndShooter
June 27, 2006, 05:00 PM
I'm thinking about getting a muzzleloader for the next gun in my collection, but I'm not certain whether to go all-the-way-primitive to a flintlock or get a cap-gun (not sure what they're really called, sorry).

I know the technical differences and a little of the history of the different rifles, but that's not what I'm looking for.

What I'd like is some comments about what it is like to own, maintain, shoot, and hunt with either or both of these type guns.

Is there a reason to start with one or the other as I get into M/L shooting?
What things should a total newbie to this kind of shooting watch out for?
What mistakes have people made that nearly turned them off of M/L's forever?

What other questions should I be asking?

Thanks in advance.

arcticap
June 27, 2006, 07:22 PM
Everybody has a bias, and mine is that I strongly believe that caplock rifles are the best way to start out muzzle loading.
Caplocks are easier to shoot and maintain for the most part because you don't have to deal with the flint issues, and because the ignition can usually be considered much faster (ahem! :D ), overall accuracy and reliability leads to more shooting satisfaction.
Cleaning a muzzle loader is always a chore that a person has to do after each shooting session. There are new non-corrosive powders but they don't let a person off the hook for very long since they too can absorb moisture if left in the barrel and cause rust to form. Plus, they don't always perform as well as the corrosive powders except in some circumstances.
Shooting muzzle loaders is very easy to learn if you have a mentor or read some good literature. Try going to your local library and see if they have any books about basic muzzle loading. I did and that's how I learned on my own. I read a book by Sam Fadala that had most of the basic information. Muzzle loading rifles are really pretty simple to operate once you've read and familiarized yourself with the basic info., you just go out and buy the gun and items you need, and motivate yourself enough to head to the range to load, shoot and make lots of smoke. Scary no, not if you're prepared. Exciting? Definitely!
The only real problem to be aware of is if you forget to pour the powder down the barrel before you load the bullet. Then you have to remove the nipple to add a few a grains of powder to discharge the ball. You have to do the same (or similiar) procedure if you have a failure to fire after repeatedly discharging caps. You need to learn the ways to discharge and empty the barrel once it's been loaded. This procedure can be more difficult with a flint gun if you actually have to pull a ball out with a screw type ball puller.
Generally speaking, if you familiarize yourself first with caplock rifles, the basic knowledge and some of the accessories are transferable for using with the other types of muzzle loaders.
There are 2 basic types of caplocks, the traditional side lock rifles and the modern inlines. The primary difference between the 2 is what types of projectiles each rifle will shoot best, and this factor, along with barrel length, will determine the range that you will be able to shoot targets at with effective power & accuracy.
A sidelock carbine shooting roundballs (which are cheaper and easier to load :D ), will effectively hit a paper plate sized target at least to 50 yards or more, depending on the rate of twist of the barrel. They are offered in slow (for balls), medium (balls & conicals), and fast twist (conicals) barrels. In line rifles are only usually offered in fast twists for shooting conicals or sabot containing bullets and are especially suited for hunting purposes. Since these projectiles are more costly than shooting balls, people don't usually shoot these as extensively for simple plinking. The loading is usually more difficult and they will consume more powder while shooting heavier bullets. They usually have a removable breechplug to make cleaning more complete, but sometimes also more time consuming because you have to disassemble to fully accomplish.
You have to decide whether to buy a gun for target/plinking/hunting, all, or just 1 or 2. Shooting balls at moderate ranges is the easiest way to learn and have fun, and a medium twist gun will shoot conicals accurately at moderate ranges for hunting too. A slow twist rifle may increase your long range accuracy, but with balls only. Some makers of these guns are Thompson Center, Traditions, Lyman, Austin & Halleck, Investarms, etc...
The inlines are great for hunting, but are tougher to load and you usually just won't be able to shoot as many shots in a single range session. They are shaped more like a modern rifle and often have lighter single trigger mechanisms, but because the bullets and powder charges are usually heavier, there is a little more recoil and are more expensive to "feed". A little more difficult to learn with, but doable if you really want to start that way.
A medium twist barrel is 1 in 48 inches and a fast twist barrel usually starts at about 1 in 38 inches and less, although most are much faster, 1 in 28, 1 in 24 inches, etc...
Slow twist is usually in the 1 in 59 inch to 1 in 70 inch range, more or less.
So always ask about the twist rate whenever you decide to buy a rifle.
There are an awful lot of accessories to buy when a person starts out in muzzle loading, as much as $50 worth. But it's a long term investment.
The worst thing about BP shooting is how dirty the powder residue and guns end up being in the end, and how important it is to keep them clean to keep them in working order.

ArcherAndShooter
June 27, 2006, 09:57 PM
Arcticap,

Thanks very much for the long reply. It is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

Doubletaptap
July 9, 2006, 08:50 AM
I have a Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .54 cal. Percussion. It's a sweet rifle and very accurate. They run about 500. and can be had at many places. They're built by Investarms of Italy,work for PC for re-enactors and carry well.
A very accurate rifle with patched ball and 80-85gr. FFG! Good for tatgets or hunting.
If you get a flinter, be prepared to tinker with it a lot,try to find what and how much prime in the pan,flint knapping
procedures,adjustments,misfires,hangfires and lots of other fun.
I'm not putting them down, just reality.
With a capper all you gotta do is find what load it likes and adjust your sights.