PDA

View Full Version : Help-sighting In 1858 Target Model

ackattack
June 26, 2006, 03:23 PM
Hello To All, Hope Your Summer Is Going Well. Can You Please Give Alittle Advice? My Rem. 1858 Target Model Shoots 6-8 Inches High Right. How Does One Turn The Rear Sight And What Is There To Do With The Front Sight? Thanks And Happy 4th! Dominic.

ZRX
June 27, 2006, 06:29 PM
Elevation is done using the small screw just in front of the rear sight blade.

The screws on either side of the rear sight blade are for your left\right. (make sure they are tight, i have lost my rear blade before!!!)

Hafoc
July 2, 2006, 03:38 PM
GAH! I got it backward, I think. It's always easier to do than to describe. So-- edited--

To move point of impact down, move the rear sight down. To make it go left, move the rear sight left. And so on. There. I think I have that right now. The rest stands.

And if I still have it wrong, on the range if you adjust things and they get worse, go the other way. :D

Think of the fixed front sight as being a pivot; you're trying to swivel the breech end of the revolver around that pivot to get point of aim and point of impact to line up.

This assumes that you still have some downward travel in the rear sight. If not, if the rear sight is screwed all the way down already, your choices are to raise the front sight or change your loading.

Generally, the only way to raise the front sight is to build a higher sight. Sometimes you can buy a higher blade, but in a lot of cases the front sight blade or pin is welded or soldered in place. So your options there involve gunsmithing.

I haven't tried this yet, but from what I've read, to lower the point of aim by loading you want to load to a higher velocity. This means the bullet exits the barrel before the barrel has kicked up quite so high by recoil. You would do this by more powder or a lighter projectile. If you're shooting a round ball, you can't go to a lighter projectile, but varying the powder charge might work.

Also, how you grip the gun affects how high it shoots. You could try gripping it harder, holding it with your little finger wrapped around the grip vs. folded beneath the grip, that sort of thing. If you find you need a firmer hold, checkered grips might help without having to squeeze the grips so hard.

mg66
July 3, 2006, 06:44 PM
hafoc, you are correct. If I am shooting, say 38sp light target loads and am aiming at and hitting at the bull and I then shoot 357 magnum (a much higher velocity, in this case 750fps versus 1250fps) and aim at the same point with the same gun then the POI (point of impact) will be much lower and in the case of my DW to the left.

I would play around with loads before working on the gun sights. Every gun is an individual and likes its 'pet' load.

Hope I didnt confuse the issue.

Added comment : my Colt 1860 shoots 7-8" hight so I got to find the happy medium for the loads to bring down POI and accuracy. Oh drat and double drat, that means I have to spend more time at the range ... its a dirty job but someone has to do it :D

drdirk
July 4, 2006, 09:14 AM
As others have pointed out, it is not easy to fix a high shooting revolver if you are out of "room" at the rear sight. Short of increasing the hight of the front blade there is nothing you can do. My latest revolver is a Rogers and Spencer from Dixie. It has the adjustable rear sights and shot high by about 6 to 8 inches as well. I sent it back and they gave me another one. The new one is great and shoots where it is supposed to be. In theory all revolvers should shoot low in order for you to be able to file down the front sight to your load and preference. Let us know how it works out.
BTW, I have been on ACK a lot dropping off at the airport. Where do you guys shoot? The island does not look gun / shooting friendly???

mg66
July 4, 2006, 10:07 AM
I shoot at the outdoor range about 5 miles out of the town where I live. It's got

25 yard pistol (falling plate and target)
50, 100 and 200 yard bench rest
Trap range
Skeet range
and I must add a very nice club-house.

Not at all too bad for 50 bucks a year membership. Also in addition there are 2 or 3 farms the relatives own that we have setup backstops for up to 50 yard shooting.

On one we setup a small 3D course for archery practise for Archery deer season. In addition there is a 3D course about 7 miles out of town that is used on the pro circuit and that is free also.

Thats not to mention the 1000s of acres available to deer hunt just a stone's throw from my front door.

Come to think of it you just cant beat living out in the midwest farmlands :D