PDA

View Full Version : Dry Firing

tmackay3302
June 14, 2006, 04:33 PM
Hi everybody. On monday I picked up my Uberti Cattleman Millenium, shot it on Tuesday, and Today I want to practice with it. I've know that it's bad to dry fire a hammer mounted firing pin. I've also heard that if you pop out the primer off a spent shell, you can fill the sell with hot glue and make homemade snap caps. My problem is that I cant get the primers out of the casing. I've never reloaded so I don't have any gear and I was trying to get it out with a screwdriver. I'm probably sounding pretty lame by now, but can anybody help me?

JJB2
June 14, 2006, 08:45 PM
there has to be a reloader in vegas somewhere...... maybe even on this forum...... keep your ears an eyes open an you'll find one i'm sure close by.......

Smokin_Gun
June 14, 2006, 11:58 PM
Look up a Lee Hand Press,about $20....45LC Dies 3 piece set about $35.
http://i6.tinypic.com/14eco5k.jpg

OR

http://i6.tinypic.com/14ecp01.jpg

4V50 Gary
June 15, 2006, 12:53 AM
Alternatively, you might be able to buy snap caps for your gun.

Hafoc
June 15, 2006, 06:03 AM
You just want to make snap caps for now, right?

Look down the inside of the case. You should be able to see the flash hole in the center of the bottom. Find something that will fit into this hole-- a nail, an old drill bit, anything sturdy will do. You might have to mount your nail or bit on the end of a little stick.

Just put the end of the "nail" into the flash hole. Put the base of the fired cartridge on something such that the fired primer isn't supported-- a board with a little hole, the edge of your workbench, whatever. Tap the primer out from the inside. Done.

This is the technique the most basic reloading tool on the market, the Lee Loader, uses. You might web search for instructions for the Lee Loader to get a better idea what I'm talking about.

tmackay3302
June 15, 2006, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to have some cheap snap caps that I can use today, and tomorrow, and throw them away after that. Maybe I'll get one of those handloaders and start loading Black Powder! Thanks.

Maser
June 15, 2006, 08:12 PM
If you buy snap caps just remember not to get the cheap plastic kind because they crack and break after only like 100 dry firings. Make sure to get the brass or aluminum kind.

4V50 Gary
June 15, 2006, 10:08 PM
I wonder if silicon caulking to fill the primer hole would work. That would be pretty cheap (if you're caulking the house anyway).

Blammer
June 16, 2006, 07:38 PM
Tap out a few 'plugs' of scrap tooling leather to fit the primer hole (once you get the spent primer out) = a dab of superglue & you are ready to go!:D

Doubletaptap
July 9, 2006, 08:15 AM
If I want to practice,or adjust a trigger pull.I just throw in 6 already fired casings and click away. Those spent primers will absorb the shock and I ain't hurt a firing pin yet.