PDA

View Full Version : Body Armor

JoshB
May 7, 2006, 02:29 PM
I wanted to get a feel for how many of us at TFL wear body armor and maybe some thoughts from those who do / do not wear. For those of us who are military or LE, I'm talking about off-duty wear.

UniversalFrost
May 7, 2006, 02:56 PM
I actually wore the black/under armor vest vests in iraq the first tour (the body armor was back ordered and they were issuing us flak jackets). Myself and a bunch of guys went in on an order of their concealed and tactical vest. I wore the concealed vests under and on top of my blouse (double layered) while many guys wore one of the tacticals. The black armor works! It saved my hide when I took an AK round (7.62X39) at about 75 yards in the chest. The new models offer better side protection (see attached pic of me in 03 wearing) and are very comfortable. You used to be able to get them in black or white. A good buy and it saved my life and a couple of buddies that had the tactical models.

combatpreacher
May 7, 2006, 03:25 PM
Always...always when on duty...but I dont work the road now.

so...whenever possible.

leadcounsel
May 7, 2006, 05:48 PM
I voted "sometimes". Whenever possible would mean sitting around my house like today... which I certainly don't wear. But it's available if necessary.

I wear it to my office, and generally when I am going out in public when it won't be inconvenient (like going to the gym for instance).

I also have it available at home for near instant access to body armor.

It's good piece of mind.

Lycanthrope
May 7, 2006, 06:18 PM
I don't have any or think I'd wear it for normal use.......but I'd sure like to have some.

Mannlicher
May 7, 2006, 06:23 PM
which is no, and I have no intention of ever buying any. Carrying a gun, and being very alert to what is happening around me seems to be exercising enough caution. Since I am not a cop, and my daily affairs do not take me to places that are any more dangerous than the Supermarket, I think I can skate on this accessory.

JoshB
May 7, 2006, 06:30 PM
Are you suggesting I add another choice [or modify one of the existing ones]?

kjdoski
May 7, 2006, 07:08 PM
I have "concealable" body armor from a couple of different manufacturers; but the only times I wear it is on high-risk warrants, high-threat protective operations, etc. I'm in plain clothes - so "concealable" armor just isn't in the cards most of the time. It's 90-110 here every day, and high humidity; wearing body armor off-duty just isn't feasible, from a comfort perspective...

Regards,

Kevin

Dilbert
May 7, 2006, 09:07 PM
I work for a delivery company and I wear a vest when I have to go to Portland or on some of the overnight runs. Otherwise it's in the car or by my bed.

hoghunting
May 8, 2006, 06:33 PM
Josh,
Where are you hanging out that you need to worry about body armor? I don't know any officers that wear armor outside their work. Are you getting into something that you shouldn't?

JoshB
May 8, 2006, 07:46 PM
I'm interested in it because it only seems like the logical end to carrying a firearm. I would imagine that most encounters where deadly force would be an option, you would have a gun pointed at you. I would certainly feel safer knowing that I have some sort of protection. These are only thoughts though and I have no real immediate need for body armour.
The concept is not altogether foreign to me either. My father worked in LE and usually wore body armour off duty. Granted, my occupation doesn't call for it off duty, but I'm not against the idea. I started this thread just to get a feel for what everyone's thoughts on the subject was. Why do people assume that if an average guy wants to wear body armor, that he's up to something? Why not say the same thing for everyone who carries?

Anthony2
May 8, 2006, 11:58 PM
Why not say the same thing for everyone who carries?

Because that would make us liberal-minded and put us in the mindset of the anti-gunners out there.:(

Why do people assume that if an average guy wants to wear body armor, that he's up to something?

I think hoghunting was just expressing concern for a fellow TFLer..:rolleyes: ..Weren't you hoghunting?;)

Personally, I think if the price were right I would want some just because!
Well, that and it would make me feel alot better about hunting on public land...something I don't currently do.:(

JoshB
May 9, 2006, 04:34 PM
Good point on the deer hunting. If I end up getting a vest, I will definately have to take it with me this hunting season. You never know when one of your buddies will try to act like our friend Uncle Dick!

leadcounsel
May 9, 2006, 05:17 PM
+1 Josh on your thinking. If you're in a situation where you need to use your gun, it's quite likely that you have a deadly weapon -- a gun -- (granted, could be any thing) drawn on you.

As far as wearing the concealable armor hunting, it can't harm, but likely would be a waste of effort for most hunting activities. Concealable armor generally covers handgun calibers but not rifle calibers.

If you wanted rifle caliber protection, you'd need a bigger vest and ceramic plates.

For an example of what rifle and pistol rounds to do a vest, check out www.theboxotruth.com

Rifle rounds rip right through concealable vests like they were butter. Of course, in a fluke situation it may deflect it and I'd rather have it than not, but I wouldn't count on it at all.

That said, I do wear it to the handgun range. Never can tell what's gonna happen...

JoshB
May 9, 2006, 05:46 PM
LC,

Checked out the site - maybe a vest wouldn't be much help on the next hunting trip afterall. I'm really surprised what the 223 round did to the clay. Never really thought they could do much damage. I'll still take my 7.62 any day though.

UniversalFrost
May 9, 2006, 05:50 PM
http://www.blackarmor.com/images/BallisticChart.gif

Also, not all vests will stop a knife (also a deadly weapon). Check out McCalls for those that will offer protection from both a knife and bullet. I answered somtimes, because I would wear one when in a bad neighbor hood or state (CAli, NJ, NYC, etc.. lol), otherwise don't see the need to wear one most of the time. See my other post, because I can honestly say that when you are wearing one it may save your life.

Anthony2
May 11, 2006, 12:53 PM
FTGB-I have a friend who is a repoman and the first requirement of the job is to own and wear body armor. He does this six days a week without fail. So it is not really that much of a stretch to wear 7/365. My point being that LEO's are the only people with justified reasons for wearing.

oldbillthundercheif
May 11, 2006, 03:48 PM
Two nights ago my friend Al had a .38 snubby stuck against his chest for refusing to give a random stranger a ride home at 3am. He would have liked to have been wearing some armor, I think. Ballistic Protection- It's not just for cops anymore. I would like a vest, but don't have the cash. Anyone know where a civilian can pick up a concealable IIIa vest without breaking the bank? The US Calvalry website has some nice ones but sell them to active millitary / LEOs only.

UniversalFrost
May 11, 2006, 03:57 PM
Go to http://www.blackarmor.com/Vest/Ultima1.htm and they run from 605 - 730 for the concealed models. Check McCalls (but you run into the leo/mil issue a lot) . If you are retired mil (as your call sign suggest with the thundercheif and all) then try passing off you retiree card on them when they ask for id. Otherwise I would google it and see if you find some used models for sale (a lot of GI's are selling theirs that they personally bought) I sold the 2 I had (one with a hole and one without) to a buddy who was "normal" air force and rotating in country and the Air Force was only issuing flak jackets (still is to some AFSC's).

Also check out http://www.americasecured.com/index.cfm/fa/categories.main/parentcat/16672 about 200 cheaper and still good (plus mil/ leo discount).

oldbillthundercheif
May 11, 2006, 06:10 PM
Nice. I have seen other vests in that same price / protection range but not for civilian purchase. My only issue with this one is the alarming gap in the lower-body extension. If I get a vest with protection down there it will be for the benefit of a few body parts that this one leaves exposed. I guess it's for bathroom convenience.
So these guys sell to anyone, eh? I'm not sure I would really want to try to fool anyone about my current millitary status.

Optical Serenity
May 12, 2006, 03:51 AM
I wear body armor everyday when I go on duty :)

garryc
May 20, 2006, 09:29 AM
I wear it when deployed outside the institution and armed. Inside it is useless. Now a KEJO stab proof Concealable Vest would be a good idea

OHMRMP
May 24, 2006, 01:22 AM
I have an PASGT vest that I wore during small-arms qualifications and FTXs, but I've never had to use it in a situation where my life was in danger. But I've never been called up for SAD either.

leadcounsel
May 25, 2006, 09:55 PM
New Level II concealable vests are under $500 at www.bulletproofme.com. I have one and really like it.

If you can't afford it, sell one of your $500 pistols. Better to have 1 pistol and 1 vest than 2 pistols...

f8lranger4x4
May 30, 2006, 10:21 AM
I always wear my vest while on duty but i see no point in the general day to day life.