PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use WC820 powder?

bookkie
March 21, 1999, 09:42 AM
I've found a site that is selling military surplus powder WC820, $56 for 8lbs. Does anyone have any experience with this powder. Site says to use the same tables for loading as 2400, WIN 296 or H110.

Thanks,

Richard

drfut21311
June 11, 2005, 04:37 PM
Yes, I've used this great bargain powder in 410 shotshell hulls, HS and AA with an orange pattern control wad, winchester 209 primer, 1/2 ounce of #9 shot utilizing 13.2 grains. It works superbly and I found the recipe in various places on the net.

Think about it. If you order four 8 lb. bottles the company from which you purchased the powder will pay the hazmat fee. You'll only need to pay shipping.

Let me know if you need the company's name from which to order the powder. This is a ball powder very much like Hdgdon's H-110.

Good shooting.

Leftoverdj
June 11, 2005, 05:18 PM
Bookkie, use AA-9 data, at least to start. Recent batches of WC 820 have had that burning rate. Some of the earlier batches were of H 110 burning rate, but you can get in a lot of trouble if you use that data with a faster lot.

There is also a WC 820(f) which is faster yet and has a rate about like HS-7.

Desert Dog
June 11, 2005, 06:35 PM
WC820 is a fine powder that I use for .45 Colt loads. The 8# batch I received duplicates H110 burn rates almost exactly.

But like Leftoverdj said, be very conservative when you first start loading with it to determine the burn speed...

EchoFiveMike
June 11, 2005, 06:53 PM
Speed varies, as has been said, different lots range in speed from H110 all the way to AA#7. Most current stuff is said to be similar to AA#9 or 2400 in speed. I've got 16lbs I'm storing, but haven't used any yet. Still have a 20lb keg of 2400 I'm working through :) S/F....Ken M

pearson1662
June 12, 2005, 08:58 AM
How old is the powder and what effect does this have on it?
What difference does "pulldown" make?

Leftoverdj
June 12, 2005, 01:21 PM
I dunno the age, but properly stored powder has a very long life. I avoid pulldown because improper storage is more likely with loaded ammunition and because there have been cases of different powders becoming mixed during the pulldown process. Makes me nervous even though the powders would have been of very similar burning rate.

Kamicosmos
June 12, 2005, 04:56 PM
I'll try to remember to get my lot number and edit this post when I get home.

But my 8 pound jug burns like AA#9.

It's a decent powder, but yes, start very conservative on your charges until you figure out it's burn rate.

That said, while it is a 'good deal' I don't think I'll be messing with the pulldown powders any more. I'll shell out the extra money to get the commercial stuff. I like consistancy and published data for my powders.
YMMV.