PDA

View Full Version : Silver plating a firearm?

CANIS
May 8, 2000, 09:54 AM
Hi!

I have a NAA Mini Mag that I carry everyday. I'm wanting to dress this piece up into the equivalent of a nice watch or Mont Blanc pen.
Is it possible to silver plate and polish the whole gun? Will it be of sufficient thickness to withstand daily pocket carry?
I also would like some cast silver grips for it.

Anyone out there spend any time dressing up one of these great little guns?

Thanks,

Chris Canis

Big George
May 8, 2000, 10:06 AM
I have an H&R model 999 that was silver plated from the factory in the mid fifties. I'm having a time trying to find out much about it. I have had several experts on the internet tell me it must be nickel plated, but it is indeed silver. The silver plate is holding up well, but I can be scratched easily.

I would not recommend silver plate for a carry gun. I polish the 999 about once a year with regular silver polish. It is kept in a gun case.

Coinneach
May 8, 2000, 12:05 PM
(blink)

Jesu, just when you think you've heard everything... ;)

Desert Dog
May 8, 2000, 09:15 PM
AMEN...

Jeff Thomas
May 9, 2000, 01:29 AM
Wow. Talk about the 'family silver'. This will get the butler's attention. ;)

CANIS
May 9, 2000, 08:47 AM
Don't worry guys, I own my share of "tactically correct" firearms but, I don't need to carry a howitzer everyday to work or when I'm out and about with my family. I like nice stuff. That being said, if I'm going to carry a little mousegun, I want it to be dressed up and looking unique. I own and carry my share of high end pocket knives, expensive pens and watches, I want my pocket pistol to follow the same theme.

Chris Canis

James K
May 9, 2000, 01:13 PM
Some general comments on plating guns.

When plating (any metal) is added, it changes the dimensions of parts. Pistol slides that once fit well, won't go on the frame. Hammers and triggers won't work. Cylinders drag on the barrel or on the frame. Cylinder pins won't go in.

Companies that specialize in plating take this into account and take off enough steel before plating to allow the gun to work after plating. This is sometimes not done well and hurts the looks of the gun.

Most factories have the names of plating companies who work on their guns either as sub-contractors or on a jobbing basis. I recommend contacting the gun manufacturer before having plating work done.

Jim