PDA

View Full Version : Rebarrel Swedish Mauser

Conservative
May 7, 2000, 04:53 PM
I have a M38 Where can I find a new barrel?
The current barrel is in condition 3 and does not shoot accuratly. Will rebarreling reduce the collectors value of the weapon? At this point all serial numbers match.

wildcat
May 7, 2000, 07:21 PM
I was clicking around the links on this site yesterday and happened to notice that Hoosier Gun Works had some sweede barrels for sale. You can check to see if they have the length that you need.

------------------
Fear a government that fears your guns

George Stringer
May 7, 2000, 10:10 PM
Conservative, folks who buy collectables rarely shoot them. If your concern is in the value of the rifle I'd hang it on the wall and leave it alone. If you wish to use it whether just at the range or as a hunter then I would rebarrel. I don't think you will help yourself by simply installing a take-off barrel from another Swede. If I were going to rebarrel a rifle in pursuit of accuracy I would have it done correctly with truing the action, bolt etc and a good commercial barrel installed. Personally, I think you would increase the actual value of the rifle. George

Unkel Gilbey
May 8, 2000, 12:57 PM
Conservative,

What George had to say was absatively correct. In stock form, most military arms leave a lot to be desired if you are looking for accuracy. There is a lot of stuff hanging onto the barrel that will effect this, and military weapons weren't exactly machined to exacting spec's either.

If you could find a near mint Swede Bbl, then you could expect a slight improvement in accuracy, but it (the barrel) would have to be installed by a competent 'smith, and then all you have is a new/old Swede. Realistically, I don't think that you could expect any better then 3 MOA with a completely stock setup.

Another thing, the barrels of rifles were rarely marked with the serial #'s. This is because the Bbl has always been considered to be 'consumable' or in other words - a replaceable item. So I don't think that replacing the barrel with a like item would hurt the overall value of the rifle. You Swede collectors feel free to correct me on this.

Personally, since the swede is such a good action, I'd rebarrel with an aftermarket barrel - in the same caliber, and I'd shoot away contentedly!

Good luck,

Unkel Gilbey

James K
May 8, 2000, 05:28 PM
The Swedes rebarrelled their rifles, often several times. They stamped a crown under the grip every time they did so, and some rifles have 3 or 4 crowns.

Jim

Cris
May 8, 2000, 09:11 PM
You might try Sarco. I purchased 6 - 18" barrels and 3 - 23" barrels a few years back. These barrels are in the white, but seem to shoot what I consider very good for a military barrel. I have one of the short ones on a custom Man. w/ a Cherry stock and
a Burris 6X mini. I can cover the holes of a three shot group with a quarter @ 100 yards when shooting off of the hood of my pick-up. I don't know if they will fit your need, but they a military barrels w/step-downs.
Cris