PDA

View Full Version : J. Stevens A&T Co. Rifle

Elksniper
January 9, 2006, 12:22 AM
I had a customer bring in a interesting Stevens rifle. It is a 22 cal breech loading single shot. To load this little rifle, you depress a button on the side of the rifle and the breech swings out to the side. The reciever is plated and there is no wood on the forarm. Any idea what model this is?

deadin
January 9, 2006, 08:45 AM
Stevens "Sure Shot" Rifle No. 23. c. 1894 to 1897 or 1898.
.22 RF, 20" round barrel swings sideways to right to load with barrel release button on left frame. Made without forend. Very scarce .
Flayderman's (8th Edition) #5H-069 Values: VG $775 Exc $1,500 :eek:

Dean

Elksniper
January 9, 2006, 02:05 PM
thank you for the info. elksniper

Elksniper
January 10, 2006, 10:52 AM
I made a chamber casting of the rifle in question and discovered that it is a 25 Stevens chambering. I guess the question is was it reboared or was it the original chambering? I looked up the information on the 25 Stevens and there is no sure information about what date the ammo was introduced into service and what rifles were chambered for it. If it is a reboar I could install a barrel liner and rebuild the ejector to make it fireable again but that could ruin the value and orginality of the piece. if anyone could shed some light on the possibility of this being an orginial chambering I sure would be delighted.:confused:

RJay
January 10, 2006, 09:23 PM
Someone who is very much up on Steven Rifles is www.wisnersinc.com. In fact I've found they are knowledgeable on just about any firearm.