PDA

View Full Version : Got my brother an 870

CraZkid
January 7, 2006, 04:36 PM
My brother is 11. The gun is a 20-gauge junior model. I took him out to shoot trap at the range. I felt terrible because he could not hit anything. To me it came naturaly, so I can't realy give him pointers because I just "do it". What tips can I give him? Thanks in advance.

HGKosteck
January 7, 2006, 06:16 PM
..shooting at stationary targets first.

Let him see how the shot patterns.

Do it at ranges close, then far.

Encourage, encourage, encourage.

There is no "bad" or "wrong".

Practice, practice, practice.

Make the investment to provide ammo and range time for the kid.

You've done a great thing.

Just stick with it.

ssgmac27
January 7, 2006, 06:57 PM
When I was about his age, my dad gave me his old 20 gauge single shot. I went out with him and my cousin to shoot trap for the first time. It was the first time I ever fired a shotgun, and I hit the first target. I thought I was awsome; then I didn't hit any more the rest of the day! It really knocked me back to reality. Keep practicing with him. When he gets used to the gun, he will get better.

OneInTheChamber
January 7, 2006, 08:48 PM
Teach him to lead by hanging a tire from a tree and having him shoot a toy dart gun or airsoft gun through it. I've heard people say that here before.

Get the biggest birds you can find.

Make sure the stock fits him well. An improper fit can make it harder hit.

Buy a hand thrower (real cheap at walmart), so you can throw them very slow and straight away from him.

Buy him a good spray in shell selection; like size 8 shot and 7/8 powder.

Get a modified choke (should be stock in an 870). If it has a shorter barrel, maybe consider a full choke to keep it tighter (if it is too thin its hard to break them with).

Don't take him out in front of a lot people, especially strangers. It will make him feel pressured.

He might be scared of the recoil, even though its the right gauge. Consider an aftermarket recoil pad, as most are far better than the stock pad.

If it is his first time; don't worry. If after days and days of practice there still isn't any improvement; maybe he isn't a shotgunner. Maybe he's a great pistol kid or long range rifleman.

Good luck with him; and remember he feeds off your words and attitude; keep it fun like you have been.

Consider some lessons; maybe a good instructor can spot his flaw.

Chase

CraZkid
January 7, 2006, 10:20 PM
It has no choke, an 18 or 20 inch barrel, and we were using remington 7 1/2 shot loads(the ones that come in boxes of 100 at wal-mart). I use an 12-g 870 with 26 inch barrel and no choke. I tried his a couple of times and except for the stock being woefuly short it was great. Normaly I have to wait for the birds to get out to hit, his I can hit anywhere.

duck911
January 7, 2006, 10:26 PM
I couldn't imagine picking up a shotgun for the firt time and attempting to hit a moving target. When I got my first shotgun (Rem 870) at age 18, I took it out into the boonies every chance I got and practiced with it. I shot paper, boxes, cans, tree trunks, starlings, water...... It really helped me to understand how the shot was acting through the air, how the shot string looked on target. I took apart shot shells, inspected the payloads, and read any magazine articles I could get my hands on. (internet was barely invented...)

A year later, I experienced my first duck season. I went hunting a lot with my buddy. The limit was 6 birds, and he frequently shot his 6 plus a few of mine, as I struggled to understand the leads and angles of the moving targets. But the time spent experimenting helped alot and soon I was able to hold my own. CONSISTANCY with a shotgun, in my humble opinion, is the trick!

Tell him to stick with it and keep practicing!!! One day at the range it will all come together and that will be a day he'll remember!