PDA

View Full Version : TZ-75 firing pin hole (and more!)

Ken Cook
September 13, 1999, 11:06 AM
A customer brought me an old mid 80's Tanfoglio TZ75 complaining that it wouldn'g eject.
On the surface, the problem is easily fixed as some bozo/jackleg gunsmith has made liberal application of a file to the extractor claw and it's SERIOUSLY out of whack.
However, on closer examination of the pistol and fired brass, (Yeah, I always look at the brass.) there is an inordinate amount of primer flow into the firing pin hole.
I'd say that the flow is a good 16th of an inch above the surface of the primer cup.
This is with factory 124 (ball) Grain Dynamit Nobel, CCI Blazer 115 gr(ball), and Remington Golden Saber 147gr HP ammo.
There is no cratering, and the cases are clean (no blowback) and the primers are still tight in the pockets, so it doesn't appear to be a pressure issue.
The firing pin hole looks like it's the correct size for the firing pin, and the pin tip is in good condition.
Is there a serious problem here or is this just a characteristic of these pistols?
Everything I've ever learned tells me that primer deformation is indicitive of a major problem, but I can't FIND a problem!
Ideas? Anyone?

------------------
Your mind is your primary weapon.
USE IT!

George Stringer
September 13, 1999, 10:43 PM
Ken, it sounds like a weak firing pin spring to me. I've seen a couple just as you describe and not just TZs but others and unless the firing pin hole is oversize it's always the firing pin spring. Replace the spring and replace/rework the extractor and he should be in good shape. George

Ken Cook
September 14, 1999, 10:45 AM
Oh Geez!
No kidding huh?
Thanks George! Total brain lock on my part! LOL!
I read this and then checked,
the spring's kinked all to hell and gone!
Good call!

------------------
Your mind is your primary weapon.
USE IT!