PDA

View Full Version : What do you carry daily?

leadcounsel
September 12, 2005, 12:57 PM
Just wondering where I fit in the mold. In addition to keys, wallet, and whatever else, some routinely carry gun, spare mags, spare guns and mags, mace, flashlight, rifle or shotgun in the car, etc.

I carry my .40 XD 3" religiously or my KT P3AT when I can't conceal the .40. I wear my level IIA vest "usually" and when the temp is below 90 degrees (comfort only). I occassionally carry a Columbia river or S&W 3" pocket or boot knife. Even that little bit of stuff seems to really weigh a person down in the civilian world.... considering mace. Mace might be useful for vicious dogs, bears when camping in the Rockies (but that's a different story altogether and not your normal carry).

Any thoughts...?

Bo Hunter
September 12, 2005, 01:07 PM
I wear my level IIA vest "usually" and when the temp is below 90 degrees (comfort only).

You wear a bullet proof vest daily? Are you LE? What is your job?

I carry my wallet and keys. I'll be purchasing my Glock 27 this week. I'm selling one of my bows to get it. Conservation of toys....

spacemanspiff
September 12, 2005, 01:20 PM
50 lbs of unsightly fat.

leadcounsel
September 12, 2005, 01:27 PM
As to the vest, yes I wear one nearly daily. I'm a mild mannered attorney with no real enemies.

My thought process:

I own guns because the 2nd Amendment is a deep belief of mine.

I also believe that the world is unpredictable and violent (Ala 9/11, NOLA, LA riots, Watts, Beltway snipers, and untold violence in the history of the world and on a daily and regular basis).

I decided to start carrying in '02 when Colorado joined the ranks of "shall issue" CCW states.

I also study history alittle and believe alot can be learned from history. A look back at history tells us that many many many people were killed by a 9mm or smaller caliber bullet shot to the torso. This is something that modern technology can protect us against for only $500, or for most people about 1 week salary.

I also decided about 6 months ago that if I truly believe the above, and I carry a gun for those just in case moments, then it only makes sense to also wear a light vest which will stop a .40 caliber or less, which are the most common tools of BGs.

Owning one is also great for those middle of the night investigations of strange noises. I just put it on, grab a few things, and go investigate.

I also drive 2 hours per day and understand that it is also a benefit in car accidents.

It could be the best $500 I've ever spent, or could be a waste of time and money... but I'm glad I own one. Will it protect me from a 9/11 event? No. Will it protect me from the garden variety crime that I'm likely to be a victim of at some point. Well, if I carry a gun, I expect someone to use deadly force against me. Why not complete the package with a vest which protects the vitals in the torso against the more common calibers?

So, the answer is that I wear it much of the time and only skip it when the temp is simply too high.

Bo Hunter
September 12, 2005, 01:37 PM
I don't know much about vests. Could you provide a link to the vest you wear? I'm interested in seeing what they look like, and how bulky it appears to be. Your logic makes perfect sense. And being a lawyer, your employment has probably created you a few more enemies than my job as an engineer does... :D

SomeKid
September 12, 2005, 02:25 PM
This is one of many links, you cans earch if you want more pictures.

http://www.armorwear.com/zerog/

I got the Bronze IIIA, I wish I had gotten the Gold II. I got it when I was working security, and hardly wore it due to the weight/heat. Still is nice to have though for those house checks when you here something odd. I got mine on a sale at one of the cop shops, new and about $300. While you probably won't get that good a deal, they can be bought for under 500 in many places. Make sure to check state laws, some places ban the wearing of armor. TN is ok with it, if you don't commit a crime.

My daily carry consists of a Glock 23 and one reload. I do not carry a flashlight on me (in car), or a mace, and seldom even a pocket knife (though I do at times). The sidearm, a reload, and my cell phone. That is it.

leadcounsel
September 12, 2005, 02:34 PM
I got mine from the very helpful and knowledgable people at www.bulletproofme.com

I tend to over research products before I buy and am also price sensitive. I got the best product for my $450, which was a level II vest. I think the II will stop .38, some .357, 9mm, and .40 if memory serves.

I'm a fit 6"1" 200 lb guy and it fits well but could be an inch shorter for sitting b/c it rides alittle higher than comfortable, but no big deal. Make sure you measure exactly. I can wear it with minor discomfort. Makes me look like I gained about 10+ pounds in the torso, but not noticeable to anyone unless they touch or hug you (e.g. dating).

If you're on a budget they also sell used vests and give explanations on the site. Used ones, I understand, are just as good as new.

And check legality. CO is a gun friendly state. NY is not.

Nimitz87
September 12, 2005, 04:26 PM
not old enough to carry...but around the house the following.

wilson CQB 1911 in a milt sparks holster/belt (its one of my dads rigs)

cellphone

keys w/ koppo stick

wallet

surefire/spare mag

uh I think thats it....

i need a knife...

Chad

Avizpls
September 12, 2005, 04:51 PM
What I carry daily...

Taurus PT140 (soon to be replaced with Kimber Ultra Carry II stainless)
Spare Magazine
SureFire E2D
Gerber Paraframe I TiNi
Wallet with ID's credit cards, minimal (if any) cash
Cell phone
Newports and ligher

Book bag with PDA, Calc, Books if im goin to/from class.

pyrotechnic
September 12, 2005, 05:03 PM
I'm not old enough to concealed carry, but I always have my Brend-boker folder, keys, and my wallet on me :D When I drive back and forth to work on the weekends I carry my USP45F with a spare mag.

Regards,
Maarten

tshadow6
September 12, 2005, 05:20 PM
What is it with people like us? I carry a handgun, spare ammo, at least one knife in addition to my wallet, cell phone, keys, hat and sunglasses. I feel NAKEDA without my gun and knife. i also go out of my way to aviod trouble.

Bullrock
September 12, 2005, 06:12 PM
LMAO, again!!! :D :D

TechGal
September 13, 2005, 03:23 AM
I carry mace, knives(usually one in my pocket, and one in my purse) and a flashlight. I don't always carry my gun, I don't have lockers at my work and until I find someway to carry on my body while working, I seldom carry at work. Outside of work I have my Glock 26 at all times.

Low Key
September 13, 2005, 05:09 AM
When I'm not at work I carry my wallet, keys, small pocket knife, and a para ordnance P-12 .45 acp in a IWB holster. If I'm leaving town I also carry two spare mags in a belt pouch.

I can't carry at work, my company has the ignorant policy that "no firearms are allowed on company property, even in your personal vehicle, if you are caught with a firearm you will be fired" :mad:

Doug.38PR
September 13, 2005, 09:48 AM
At the most I carry a .38 Official Police loaded with .38+P Silvertips at 4 o'clock on my hip under the sportcoat, double speedloader pouch at 3 o'clock. A .38 Detective Special loaded with regular .38 Hydrashok in my left pocket, two DS speedloaders in my right pocket along with carkeys, change, 6 glazer rounds that I load at night while at home, a pocket knife. I carry my wallat in my left inside coat pocket, a hankerchief in my left back pocket, a watch left arm a cell phone at 9 o'clock on my belt, a writing pen in my shirt pocket a checkbook in my right inside pocket.

Every once in a while just to stay familiar with autos, I will carry my .45 1911 A1 G.I. Springfield with 7 rounds in the magazine and 1 in the chamber cocked and locked in place of my Official Police and put a 7 round magazine in my right pocket.

Evader1
September 13, 2005, 11:41 AM
Depends on where I'm at..... Most times my Kel-Tech .32 with hollows (when I'm just going about my everyday stuff) . When I'm out in the woods or into the main part of the city for any reason, Subcompact .45 with Hydra-Shok's

Derius_T
September 13, 2005, 12:10 PM
Daily: .45 Auto, folding utility knife, cell phone, small hi-power flashlight in belt clip case. 2 extra mags for .45. Thats about it. Been thinking about a defense spray or taser of some type, but don't want to walk around looking like I have Batman's utility belt on. :D

GreenSwampGunner
September 13, 2005, 12:45 PM
I carry a S&W CS9 in a Milt Sparks holster with a spare mag and an Emerson mini commander.

ozzy1038
September 13, 2005, 12:49 PM
Xd-40 4". :)

threefivesevenmag
September 13, 2005, 01:22 PM
One semi-auto holstered either IWB, OWB strongside, or Shoulder.
S & W 642
Beretta Folder
(at night) Surefire Executive Defender
- sometimes a spare mag, sometimes not.

Wallet. Keys. Cell Phone. Pen.

Wildalaska
September 13, 2005, 01:37 PM
Daily carry

One Seecamp 380 back pocket
One wallet
One Emerson CQC 7, well used from tactical pizza cutting (last night I used it on King Crab at a japanes girl Karaoke party, you ever try to eat giant crab legs with just a set of chopsticks?)
One wad of $$

All else is superfluous.

Lead Counsel, with all due respect, I was never a mild manner attorney and I used to do divorces and criminal defense and never saw the need for a vest...I had plenty of enemies too

WildminimalistAlaska

MEDDAC19
September 13, 2005, 01:39 PM
The odds are probably greater that you will be seriously injured or killed by a blow to the head, especially when driving for hours every day. Have you considered wearing a helmet? I don't wear a vest at all and carry 50-70% of the time. Living in a rural area I go many days without encountering any people at all, so I don't need to be on alert that often. I do have a buck or kershaw with me always however.

Avizpls
September 13, 2005, 01:45 PM
To he who said "surefire e2d at night"

I carry mine in the ay too. If the power goes out like in LA and im in a large building on campus, where we have no backups, it could be very nice to have.

Evader1
September 13, 2005, 01:51 PM
Thanks for reminding me guys. I carry a Surefire flashlight (G2), I think?? Swiss Army knife, Sog Folding knife with thumb assist and one of those little LED blue lights on my keys. Great little light and really bright in a pinch!

leadcounsel
September 13, 2005, 01:55 PM
While a helmet would be a good idea, I don't think the sacrifice of visibility or peripheral vision is a good trade off. And, I think I'd look like and feel like a clown. Besides, how am I supposed to hear my blaring heavy metal music! :)

Alaska, what is the crime rate, population, and the race composition of Anchorage? I suspect it's much safer than Metro Denver or any other big city.

Wildalaska
September 13, 2005, 02:31 PM
Alaska, what is the crime rate, population, and the race composition of Anchorage? I suspect it's much safer than Metro Denver or any other big city.

Not that crime statistics mean anything, but metro Los Anchorage Alaska has a far higher violent crime rate than Metro denver, as did my old res in NY.

I prefer to live my life less encumbered.

WildiknowdetectivesthatdontwearvestsAlaska

threefivesevenmag
September 13, 2005, 02:40 PM
The only reason I don't carry it during the day is, I usually leave it for my girlfriend who travels more than I do. When I go back to the apartment later in the day, she'll be back home and then I'll resume carrying it. If I had the extra money, I'd have another one. I don't right now.

leadcounsel
September 13, 2005, 02:42 PM
It's not really that awkward or encumbering. It's about 5% limiting to normal activities but, much like sports gear for football for instance, I suspect I would forget it's even on in an emergency. It won't interfer at all with my running, diving for cover, etc.

Denver is a relatively "safe" city for the most part, but one never knows....

GodofWar
September 13, 2005, 03:58 PM
I usually carry a bushmaster AR Shorty and a flak jacket,If im just going to the Mall,I got a Para P14 and a strider mk1 knife

MidKnight
September 13, 2005, 04:32 PM
Can't carry in MA where I live (I have a 'restricted' license) so I have at ALL times my Smith & Wesson Swat full size folder clipped to my right hip pocket.
Oh, plus cell phone, keys and wallet.

spacemanspiff
September 13, 2005, 04:34 PM
Alaska, what is the crime rate, population, and the race composition of Anchorage?
up here race has little to do with the likelihood of violent crime. we take pride in our equal opportunity criminals.
violent crime occurs in EVERY neighborhood of Anchorage, from the high-society oil-baron and doctor communities that live on hillside to the middle class man living in spenard/turnagain to the slums of mountainview.
in my middle class neighborhood we dont bother calling 911 to report 'shots fired' if there is less than four shots heard.

spacemanbeeneyewitnesstomultipleshootingsandhavehadtheunpleasantexperienceofbeingshotatspiff

Wildalaska
September 13, 2005, 04:48 PM
spacemanbeeneyewitnesstomultipleshootingsandhavehadtheunpleasantexperienceofbeingshotatspiff

And your a big target too! :D

WildloveshispudgylilbroAlaska

payne
September 13, 2005, 04:58 PM
I carry my firearm in a number of diffrent ways varying on where I am and what Ill be doing that day. I carry either my SA XD 40 4" in the SOB IWB holdster, or in the 3:00 position in the OWB holdster. The XD is alternated with the USP40 full size. The USP is carried cocked and locked. If im going to be in a situation were I can't carry it on me, like going to the hospital, i carry it in my pack. Then secure it in a locker. I also have a Winchester folder I keep cliped to my right pants pocket. Along with the wallet and keys. Unless again, Im in the hospital wearing my scrubs. Not but one pocket on them, so wallet and keys locked in locker with the knife and gun.

CabinJohn
September 13, 2005, 06:25 PM
Can't get image posted... :confused:

Malamute
September 19, 2005, 01:03 AM
"......... bears when camping in the Rockies (but that's a different story altogether and not your normal carry)."

But that IS my normal carry.

Actually, it depends on where I am at the moment, but bears are possible about anywhere around here.

Keys, extra set of keys, Swiss army knife, small locking folder, ear plugs, wallet, checkbook, Leatherman, Surefire E2E in Carhartt leg pocket.

Daily dog walks not up on the mountain, Smith Model 24, single speedloader in belt case, or Ruger 45 Colt SA, 6 rounds in pocket, and Winchester 94 carbine, cartridge belt w/ 25 rounds carbine loads, 4 or 5 small game/snake loads in my pocket, Randall knife, dog rope.

Camping/hiking up on the mountain, 45-70 Browning lever gun, 45 Colt Ruger SA.

VirgilCaine
September 19, 2005, 08:19 AM
1 of 3 depending on a bunch of different things.

Main carry: Colt Combat Commander .45acp + 1 spare mag
Option 1: Taurus Millenium Pro 9mm + 1 spare mag
Option 2: Taurus M85 .38spc + 1 speed loader

alpineman
September 19, 2005, 02:46 PM
leadcounsel, with all due respect - in a separate post, you were arguing that a spare mag was unnecessary, but you wear a vest? I'll grant that risk tolerance is subjective, but ... ?? I don't mean that necessarily as criticism. I'm more surprised you'd find a vest an acceptable precaution, I guess.

Anyway, when I'm out & about in KY (my job has me travelling somewhere in the state about once a week), aside form wallet/keys, I carry:

Springfield XD 40 or Kimber Ultra Carry .45
yes - a spare mag for either
light (either an M3 for the XD or a flashlight since the .45 has no rail)
multi-tool
cell phone

That's it. Even with all that, as I've said before, I feel like a skinny pale Batman sans cape with anything else hanging on my belt.

wayneinFL
September 19, 2005, 04:24 PM
At work, lately, self-defense-wise, I've been carrying a Kel-Tec P11 in a pocket and a spare mag in another.

In my other pockets, I carry a flashlight, two sets of keys as heavy as my gun, and a wallet thick enough to choke a hippopotamus. I carry a knife and scissors on my belt, and a cellphone on the other side of my belt.

I guess I have so much non-tactical stuff a spare mag has always seemed like a drop in the bucket.

On my own time, I still carry my airlite revolver with a speedloader in the same pocket. One set of house/car keys and my wallet. And I go barefoot whenever possible. I'm much more comfortable on the weekend.

rmagill
September 19, 2005, 04:38 PM
When I am carying everything I want/can, I normally carry:
glock 19 with 2 spare mags, cell phone, keys, mini mag light, all on my belt, and a wallet in my pocket. Occasionally, I will also carry a S&W 637 in my other pocket.

I recently have acquired a knife that I want to start carrying (if I can find the room)

However, depending where I am at/how forgetfull I am, I will only have my wallet and cell phone.

leadcounsel
September 19, 2005, 04:58 PM
Alpine,
The best offense is a good defense. I always carry my brain and feet... the rest vary depending on the situation and environment.

I'll reiterate and ellaborate my other posting:

I look at this whole thing like a football team. You wouldn't go into a game without a solid offensive and defensive strategy! why approach self defense differently?

OFFENSIVE:

Lethal self defense situations are unexpected and rare, but still occur and I refuse to be a victim. Hence, I carry a gun generally a .40 with 10 shots and a folder knife. Why only 10 shots? MOST shootings are 3-4 shots; carrying 2 or 3 mags with 20, 30, 40 rounds seems ridiculous for a civilian (unless you have a specific need) in my opinion. I have 3 times the number of bullets in my gun than the average shooting. I'm comfortable with that. Add to that the added weight, inconvenience of a spare mag and the "printing" of yet another CCW item... I'm just not interested in carrying something that will never be practical (same is true with a utility tool or OC, it would just gather dust). In order for me to legally USE that gun, I have to be faced with a situation leading me to believe my life (or the life of another) is in danger of imminent serious bodily harm or death, each and every time I shoot. I cannot see in any realisitc scenario where I need to decide more than 10 times that my life is in danger. Some have said it's for fast reloads in the event of a magazine failure or jam. I have also all but ruled that out and know that my gun won't jam and if it does than I can clear it faster than someone can load a separate magazine. If I thought my gun would jam under stress, I'd get a different gun, possibly a revolver.

I'm physically fit, strong, and trained in martial arts. Someone could certainly whip my @ss and this could very well turn lethal during or after the @ss whipping. However, I can defend myself to some degree physically, generally long enough to gain the ability to draw my gun. That being said, it's a bad idea to engage in a fistfight and it'll be avoided unless I'm jumped; the only scenario where I'll get tangled in a fist fight. In that case I can likely grappled until I can can control of the situation and/or break free. I'm carrying a gun and can quickly draw and accurately shoot to counter any @ss whipping which may turn lethal.

IMO the most likely (both in occurance and really life threatening) "life threatening" scenarios involve an opponent with a weapon; as I don't have any lethal enemies, this will LIKELY come in the form of an armed mugging or armed robbery or car jacking. The most popular weapons, based on statistics from my city police department for assaults, robbings, etc. is the gun and knife. So, I've decided that's important enough to defend against.

DEFENSIVE:
Most criminal types commited to common violent crimes tend to carry knives or small caliber handguns that are cheap, use cheap ammo, are easy to use and easily concealable. These include the .32, .380, 9mm, .38, and to a lesser extent the .40.

Most human vitals are located center mass and in the head. Most trained shooters shoot center mass because it's easy to hit and the head is harder to hit. Non trained shooters just aim and shoot. Either way, center mass is about 35% of a person's body and contains most of ones' vitals. While I can keep most non-armed attackers subdued for at least long enough to get my pistol, there's little I can do to avoid getting injured if I'm shot or dying if I'm hit center mass. I own lots of $500 guns. Instead of buying another gun I've "invested" $450 in a comfortable, flexible, light weight level II vest which will stop the above mentioned "common" calibers in the parts of my body that are easiest to him, would likely be aimed at, and if injured would result in quick and painful death. The vest is passive (like a seatbelt, helmet, etc.) and requires no training or care. I just put in on and that's it. I have no statistics on the increased survivability, but if I were in a gun fight, I'd sure rather have 1 vest and 1 gun than 2 guns and no vest.

My real vulnerability comes with pointy objects and i've not developed any real strategy for handling them, other than to avoid them. They will defeat my ballistic vest and a person trained with a knife is a very real threat. My hope is to have enough time to draw and shoot. Further, it takes a REAL cold blooded person, or generally a person psychologically BENT on HURTING YOU IN PARTICULAR to stick a knife in you, particularly without any warning. So, while someone could jump from the shadows and backstab me, it's highly unlikely. Knife attacks, IMO, will likely be telegraphed at least for a moment to give me time to draw. I know, I know, a person can engage with a knife at 20 feet in 2 seconds.... but I can also run away while I'm drawing, right? Distance is my friend! If someone runs at me with a knife, you better believe I'm doing my best to distance myself while drawing. I can cover probably 30 feet in 2 seconds so as long as they're 5' away when I aim, I'll win.

In summary, I can adequately defend against most unarmed physical assaults. I can do a very good job at defending against (by dodging, taking cover, moving away, etc.) and countering (drawing and shooting) most lethal attacks if given about 2 seconds notice (and, other than the non-existent hit men in my life, who want to just kill me?). I am vulnerable to surprised lethal attacks, but my vest will stop small caliber torso shots from any direction, which would be instant death dealers. My offensive capabilities to return or counter an attack are good. I can have 10 shots with greater than 90% one-shot stopping power, and I'm hard pressed to imagine a realisitc scenario where I would need any more than 10 shots because urban predator BG types that want to rob you tend to flee when they're being shot or shot at.

Finally, if there were real professional cold blooded types that had a contract to do me in, nothing I carry or wear is going to save me. It is what it is. Play the odds and LIVE. HE who lives longest, wins!

tshadow6
September 19, 2005, 05:10 PM
wallet,keys on kershaw knife carbiner, cell phone, lock blade knife, KT .32 or Glock 19, one spare mag for the 19, two spares for the .32. Plus I always wear a ball cap and sunglasses.

leadcounsel
September 19, 2005, 05:19 PM
I wear a vest because I carry a gun and have been robbed of guns and know that bad guys have them and use them.

Ancient warriors wore armor to protect against the weapon of their era;

To coin an older phrase and make it more modern....

"Those that live by the gun, die by the gun..."

tsavo
September 19, 2005, 05:44 PM
With some of the stuff you guys carry I'm suprised you don't wear a helmet when you drive your car because you have a much greater chance of needing that helmet than anything else you carry, including your gun.

leadcounsel
September 19, 2005, 06:36 PM
Part of safe concealed carry is being "concealed"...

Carrying a utility belt is hardly being concealed. And, the enemy of any CCW is having his "cover" blown. One could have some problems then.

As for driving, granted, driving is dangerous. However, with some 150 million cars on the road and all of the hours I've driven in my life, knock on wood I've not had any serious accidents. And, I purchased and drive a safer vehicle than the norm, wear my seatbelt, and have front, side, and curtain airbags. So, I think you're wrong that driving is necessarily more dangerous.

Regarding the helmet.... one might think that wearing a helmet would not only look ridiculously silly, but may make driving more UNsafe because of the reduction in vision and hearing senses thereby possibly causing an accident that could have otherwise been averted.

tsavo
September 19, 2005, 06:56 PM
Well the helmet would have to be modified of course. But my point is you're much more likely to die or recieve serious harm from a car accident than you are from a mugger.

MeekAndMild
September 19, 2005, 07:19 PM
Hmm...leadcounsel, you must be a divorce lawyer. ;) Naa. On second thought you'd have to wear a level IV with trauma plate and crotch protector.

Seriously, though I have done business with bulletproofme and they are very fast and helpful.

I've got to agree about the Kel Tec, but a .40 is maybe a little bit overboard for a civilian who maintains a 'duty to retreat'. I have said this before on this forum that I believe a .40 is too hard to control and punches holes through too many layers of wallboard for casual social situations. Especially when they don't have an unlimited litigation defense fund. :D

Interesting. I know a lawyer who wears a helmet to drive, but why he drives a sports car I have no idea.

IZinterrogator
September 19, 2005, 08:27 PM
Let's see...

PASGT helmet with desert cover
WileyX SG-1 goggles or ESS ICE sunglasses
Interceptor body armor with SAPI plates
Two field dressings
Two cravats
Lensatic compass
224 rounds of 5.56mm M855 ball/M856 tracer carried in eight 30-round magazines loaded with 28 rounds apiece in two Blackhawk STRIKE M4 double-mag pouches
IR strobe for signaling friendly aircraft
Garmin GPS V
Three liter Camelbak Thermobak
Gerber multi-tool
Surefire G2Z
M4 with TA31RCO-M4 ACOG, GG&G MAD BUIS, VTAC Mk1 sling, and Blackhawk buttstock mag pouch carrying one 20-round magazine loaded with 18 rounds of 5.56mm M855 ball/M856 tracer
M9 carried in Blackhawk CQR thigh holster with 45 rounds of 9mm M882 in factory magazines

Oh wait, did you want to know what I carry when I'm not in Iraq? :p

Gerber
Surefire A2 Aviator

I rarely go anywhere but work and home, and concealed carry is banned on post. :(

Mr.XD9mm
September 19, 2005, 10:59 PM
Whats the best way to carry the XD Service Model concealed? Live in Texas and things get a bit hot down here. How comfortable are those under the shirt shoulder holsters or the ones that look like a body wrap? Does one have a problem with sweating real bad?

leadcounsel
September 20, 2005, 12:08 PM
Meek:
Colorado law requires no "duty to retreat." If threatened you have the RIGHT to stand your ground. However, my own prinicples recognize that if the lead starts flying - so to speak - I'd rather be snowboarding :D

In this day and age, there's little that I'm willing to die for and I'll leave if given the opportunity. However, that being said, I'll fight as vicious as a rabid and injured dog if pushed, and I'll take an attacker's life faster than an ex-wife can burn through your bank account. :D

Any bullet that will penetrate a BG will penetrate car doors, drywall, and common barriers. The .380 and the .40 will penetrate multiple layers of common barriers, so the risk exists with both. However, if I shoot I don't plan to miss... arogant, yes. realistic, no. My goal, yes. So, if I thought I would miss, I wouldn't shoot.