PDA

View Full Version : What's in your Bug Out Bag?

butch50
August 10, 2005, 07:40 PM
What's in your bug out bag? I just recently started mine and here is what I have so far (and very little room left):

Surplus military back pack to hold it all:

One first aid kit that leans heavily towards large wound trauma supplies
including gloves and a locking knife with half smooth half serrated blade, and a police type whistle - and a CPR mask
One bundle of Kimberly Clark Disposable Shop Towels - very strong, these will make excellent large wound bandages to control bleeding
One light weight disposable trauma blanket
One super light weight space type blanket
One bottle of water - and a water filter that will make even stinking ditch water potable
One loaded .22 semi-auto pistol with a box of hollow point stingers
Four road flares (make good fire starters too)
One reflective road triangle
One orange safety vest
One disposable poncho
One machete (this is not in the pack actually, but in the truck with it)
25 feet of 1/2 inch rope and caribiners
Flashlight
Leather work gloves
One roll of toilet paper
Change of clothes and three extra pairs of socks (infantry background you see - take care of your feet or you are going to be in a world of hurt)
One pair of well broken in tennis style golf shoes (soft spikes = great traction)
72 hours of survival rations - life boat style
Small tarp of 6 mil plastic approx 15' x 15'
A large box of kitchen matches inside a zip-loc bag

Items still to add:
Compass
Candles
extra ammo for my SD pistol
parachute cord

Jkwas
August 10, 2005, 07:49 PM
Your bug out bag sounds like my hurricane supply cache. Only I have a generator too. :D

danco
August 10, 2005, 11:36 PM
Your bug out bag sounds like my hurricane supply cache. Only I have a generator too.

I don't have a generator (yet), but being in earthquake country, mine has a gas meter shutoff wrench in it...

~Dan

dasmi
August 10, 2005, 11:59 PM
Items still to add:

Some more water might be good, and some matches.

marshall2
August 11, 2005, 06:44 AM
Don't forget your uber-tactical mountain climbing gear, and portable miniature oxygen/snorkle.

Mikkel
August 11, 2005, 07:27 AM
Lets see what ive got in my truck:

Leatherman
Poncho
Sleepingbag
Gloves
Flashlight
Hunting boots
Warm clothing
Wool socks
Camonet
Trackshoes
First Aid kit
Lighter
Matches
Camera
Toiletpaper
9mm when needed
Shotgun when needed
Ammo for the 9mm and shotgun
Tools
Jerven fjellduk, never leave home without it: www.jerven.no
Binoculars
Food
Water
Beer
Whisky

Reason: Cause you never know when a blizzard can hit you in the mountains of Norway.

HighValleyRanch
August 11, 2005, 11:03 AM
Jerven fjellduk, never leave home without it: www.jerven.no
Binoculars

What is that? Looks pretty neat.
Poncho that turns into a tent?
Can you get them here in the USA, and what do they cost?
I love everything made in Norway! My favorite hunting knife of all time
is a Bergans made in Oslo, Norway, Rustfri from the 1960's.

August 11, 2005, 11:18 AM
Some more water might be good, and some matches.

More water is good.

He listed matches, but crappy ones. Get some NATO style strike anywhere type that are wind proof.

How about a sewing kit?

glow sticks

a few large heavy duty garbage bags

assorted smaller ziplocks

bar of soap

toothbrush

all I can think of now

Bravo25
August 11, 2005, 01:12 PM
Which one?
Seriously I tend to have several. Couple at the house that has enough for the entire family for a week.
A maxpedition backpack that I never leave home without and is full of anything I might need.
I have a medium Alice pack with supplies in the garage next to all the camping gear.
I tend to put anything valuable into cases. Papers, weapons, firstaid kits ammunition. Just in case I needed to grab the stuff and get out from a fire I won't lose the birth certificates, marriage license(that might be optional though), and other important documents.

If you have a good reuseable water filter, and purification tablets you should be fine. I went to a local salvage, and got some 30 gallon sealed barrels made of plastic with reuseable lids that originally stored soda syrup, and I fill them with water. Every 3 months or so I change the water. I always stock up on the drinking bottles when we go to the store as well.

Forget the matches, and buy several bic lighters. These will last forever, and for the size you couldn't store that many matches.

My next project is to get everything into a bugout trailer. Everything I need is in there, and I would only have to hitch it up, and get out of Dodge. I allready have a small one that was a popup camper until someone ripped the guts out of it, but it should store everything just fine.

Hahnb
August 11, 2005, 01:13 PM
Don't forget a piece of paper that says I'm a ****ing moron.

August 11, 2005, 01:16 PM
The trolls are out in force!!

Bravo25
August 11, 2005, 01:20 PM
Hahnb Don't forget a piece of paper that says I'm a ****ing moron.

625 The trolls are out in force!!

Hope they'll be gone soon

CobrayCommando
August 11, 2005, 01:25 PM
Hey jackasses this is a serious situation, you're insulting grown men who are preparing for something that has a 100 percent chance of happening somewhere in the US within months. A tornado, terrorist attack, earthquake etc, it will happen somewhere, those who don't prepare are gambling it won't happen to them.

Perhaps you've mistaken this thread for something posted by tin foil wearers or self absorbed mall guards, well you're wrong. Leave.

Mikkel
August 11, 2005, 01:41 PM
www.jerven.no is a poncho that can be used as well yes a poncho, tent, sleepingbag and is guaranteed to keep you warm and dry in severe conditions. I use it as concealment when i go hunting in the mountains and have to wait for hours without moving to get the kill. I know for a fact that its beeing used by air force pilots, crews, special forces soldiers and hunters around the world. It is also highly recomended by air rescue personell. It takes no more space than a newspaper and weighs close to nothing. Itl cost you about 100,- USD and have saved many people that would have frozen to death without it.

Rangefinder
August 11, 2005, 01:50 PM
My all-purpose Bug-Out Bag...

3-MRE Entrees
6-beef base cubes
1-pack dehydrated vegetable blend
1-vaccuum sealed pack of granola
6-teabags (Earl Grey)
6-Folgers single cup bags
2-1/2 liter vaccuum sealed water rations
1-pack water-purification tablets
1-hiker's pocket water filtering straw
1-10' heavy-duty aluminium foil
1-travel sewing kit
1-basic fishing kit
*25' of 8# test line
*5 hooks
*1 small bobber
*10 sinkers
1-50' coil OD paracord
2-solar blankets
1-pocket notebook w/pencil (not a pen!)
1-vaccuum sealed pack household strike-anywhere matches
4-MS trioxine bars
1-magnesium/flint starter
1-emergency flashlight (no-battery type)
1-magnetic compass
1-pocket mirror
1-Leatherman
1-pocket sharpener (ceramic)
1-60gal. heavy-duty garbage bag
5-assorted heavy-duty ziplock bags
1-travel bar anti-bacterial soap
1-surgical/first aid kit (custom)
*3 suture packs (4-0, 5-0, 6-0)
*assorted clamps
*scalpal
*alcohal swabs
*assorted bandaids & butterflies
*anti-bacterial salve
*gauze rolls & 4x4's
*2 maxi-pads, 2 tampons (don't laugh guys, they work wonders)
*1 roll 1" first-aid tape
*3 ammonia inhalent caps
*1 travel bottle Advil
*1 bottle Cephalexin (antibiotic) 10 days worth at my dosage
*assorted scissors/tweezers
*1 disposable razor
2-emergency candles
3-pair socks (vaccuum sealed-conserves space and water-proof)
1-hooded sweatshirt (vaccuum sealed-same reason)
1-pocket pack duct tape
1-roll electrical tape
1-roll TP (tube removed and smashed flat)
5-all purpose shop towels
2-2 minute colored smoke granades with impact fuses
1-roll orange marker ribbon

This all fits into one day-pack

Bravo25
August 11, 2005, 01:56 PM
Along with all of this, if you have significant others, I would make sure you have a family plan. If my wife, and I can make contact for 1 hour she goes to a relative. If we can't make contact for eight hours she goes to another location, If not for 24 hours she starts making her way to the farm 2 states away. We have pass words, and response codes. We have code words, and complete list of contacts. I have even taken a one dollar bill and seperated it in such away that it can only be matched by the original other half. If I had to send a message through a third party they would be required to produce my part of the puzzle.

Guess the point is don't just stop at the bug out bag. Adopt a frame of mind, and develop a plan.

Hahnb
August 11, 2005, 04:05 PM
LOL, that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my entire life. I bet half of you idiots don't even wear your seat belt when you drive, which has a thousand times greater chance of killing you than a terrorist attack or whatever the hell you're preparing for.

Even if there was a terrorst attack, how would any of **** in that bag, or passwords help you at all? Unless you carry that back pack on your back 24 hours a day it's pretty much useless if it's in your car-unless terroists decided to attack your truck :rolleyes:

The dollar bill ripped in half was even more hilarious. You people act like your all secret agents in another country and you do spy work. Get over it, you're a normal person-this isn't a james bond movie-sorry to tell you.

CobrayCommando
August 11, 2005, 04:12 PM
Look at the rest of this trolls posts...

Rangefinder
August 11, 2005, 04:15 PM
Hahnb>> Every single item in my bag has a very realistic purpose--I'll put money that I can name 'em all before you get a third of the way through the list. If you had as much brains as you do balls for that kind of a post you might learn a thing or two.

Hahnb
August 11, 2005, 04:17 PM
You might as well just live in a big hole dug in the ground. The only way that any of that bull**** would ever help you is if we were invaded by ground troops which is impossible. Even if it were possible, you were know about it long before it ever happened.

Mikkel
August 11, 2005, 04:24 PM
Hahnb... you must be a total idiot. Before you write anything more stupid then read the whole thread and its replys. I dont feel stupid carrying this gear when i go hunting far away from people and have to depend on myself and what i can and cant do. I sure dont feel stupid when i drive over the mountains in Norway knowing that the weather can change instantly which in return can cause me or others trouble and we might get stuck in bad weather. I sure dont feel like a mall ninja or whatever you call it knowing that i have gear in my truck than can save lives. I have been involved in traffic accidents (not my fault) and seen accidents where this gear has been of use. To end it all, i allways use my seatbelt when driving.

Bravo25
August 11, 2005, 04:25 PM
CobrayCommando Look at the rest of this trolls posts...

I wonder if there is anyway to get an admin to dump this peice of...

Hahnb
August 11, 2005, 04:26 PM
If you honestly think you would need that kind of gear to go somewhere you probably shoudn't go there in the first place, genius.

Mikkel
August 11, 2005, 04:34 PM
Hey genius..... I live in a country where you have to drive to get to places, this means driving over mountainranges that kids like you have never seen. I do my hunting and fishing in remote areas of this country. There is a lot of accidents due to ice and snow 6 months of the year and a lot of moose and deer that also causes accidents. I do not worry about terrorist attacks, but i do worry about people with an attitude like yours.

Hahnb
August 11, 2005, 04:39 PM
Maybe YOU should read the title of the thread. It says, what's in your BUG OUT BAG, not your hunting or fishing bag.

Mikkel
August 11, 2005, 04:43 PM
I still carry it wherever i go (in my car or in my backpack) even if i dont worry about terrorists or Bgs at every corner or dark alley. It all about beeing prepared for things that might happen. At home i have enough.

Topthis
August 11, 2005, 04:43 PM
Hey TFLers...while I do think that the first post from Hahnb may have been his most intelligent one and one that truley shows his age and IQ level, I think that as you all keep responding to it...the caustic replys will just keep coming. Ignore it.
As for me, I do not have a Bug Out Bag, but after reading this post and being in a possible Earthquake zone, I am going to start putting things away. My sister lives in Florida and was caught in the Hurricanes a year ago...no water, power, gas etc. for days...and she was one of the more fortunate ones!!

Mikkel
August 11, 2005, 04:46 PM
Topthis, i agree with you.

joab
August 11, 2005, 04:54 PM
Don't forget a piece of paper that says I'm a ****ing moron. Would that be to pin on those that felt no need to prepare for emergencies that you find begging for your help.
Then you could say
"Here's your sign"

I would replace the shop/trauma towels with feminine napkins or even an extra small diaper or two.
If nothing else you could use it on some of the 12 year olds here.
And I prefer Bics to matches

Being in Fla water is plentiful if I have a good filter, which I don't yet. Living off the land is even easier

Shelter is not of the utmost importance so a good poncho would do during the summer hurricane months.
In the winter I would only have to add a good coat or heavy jacket

Every thing else that I would consider crucial would fit into a small Alice pack, including a Rossi take down pump .22

So far I don't see anything tactical in your bag just a bunch of commonly needed emergency gear for the type of disasters that can happen everyday

joab
August 11, 2005, 05:10 PM
Maybe YOU should read the title of the thread. It says, what's in your BUG OUT BAG, not your hunting or fishing bag.BOB can still be applied to emergency kits, fishing/hunting possibles bags and car kits just as dialing a phone still applies in the push button world

chemist308
August 11, 2005, 05:22 PM
Well, I don't have a bug-out bag but if it came down to it, and I had to get out of dodge for some unforseen reason I have enough survivalist skills and stuff in my home to put a very effective one together in about 5 - 10 minutes. But If I don't have that much time and I'm at home, well I'm probably a dead man, bag or no bag... It might be a good idea to have something like that in case of fire, but odds are good if my house burns down I'd be at work when it happens. Only time I really need something like that is when I'm not at home I guess. Might be good just to keep one in the car trunk all the time. Couldn't really have a weapon in there though--we park on site and it's against company policy. With our security I wouldn't even risk it. They're just a bit too good and too zealous.

What I'd probably do starting from upstairs bedroom:
*1 military douffle bag
*2 changes of clothes and a handfull or two of socks
*A few MREs
*WWII style belt (has canteen, iodine tabs, hunting knife
*leatherman tool
*22 rifle and 1 brick or 308 with 1000rds can (heavier if I'm on foot)
*WWII style dinner set: has pot with foldable handle, silverware, tray and metal cup for boiling water
At the bottom of the stairs:
*3 garbage bags
*1 pair of boots and 1 pair of shoes not counting the ones I'd have on.
*2 bottles of water
*white towels, washcloths, 1 roll of gauze, 1 bottle of iodine or bentadine
*1 large bottle of advil
*1 fishing rod and small tackle box
*2 lighters
*1 pack shovel
We're out the door in under 10 minutes, and while all that was happening my wife would have packed a back of clothes for her and kids...

What I don't understand is what another person had to say:
Bravo: ...If my wife, and I can make contact for 1 hour she goes to a relative. If we can't make contact for eight hours she goes to another location, If not for 24 hours she starts making her way to the farm 2 states away...

No flames, I'm curious. Unless you're running from the law, why do that?

chemist308
August 11, 2005, 05:34 PM
One other thing to consider: the bible tells us of a real chance of needing such a bag in you're lifetime. Jesus talks about it in the book of Matthew. Also if you're around post rapture when all that stuff in Revalations comes to pass... :eek:

butch50
August 11, 2005, 06:34 PM
Whoooooowhheeeee, this one if fun! For some reason this thread seems to have attracted a few kiddie trolls eh?

I started my bug out bag after realizing I needed a first aid kit in my truck, and getting a suggestion to go ahead and add a few other emergency essentials. What are the odds that I will ever need the bag? Who knows, but it cost almost nothing, and it takes up a small corner of the back seat area of my truck, so why not?

After reading the intelligent comments on this thread I realized that bug out bags have some specific themes. Mine is based on what very basic primary necessities would I like to have with me for a 3 day emergency. So, I built it around that idea - 3 days of stuff.

Don't chase the trolls off, they provide way too much entertainment value. :)

Hahnb
August 11, 2005, 06:37 PM
I'm still waiting for someone to show me a real life situation where any of that stuff would come in handy, a situation that actually has a reasonable mathmatical possibility of happening. Note I said resonable mathmatical possibility.

claude783
August 11, 2005, 06:39 PM
I keep some supplies in the trunk of the car. In the event of an earthquake, civil unrest, etc. Mainly a sleeping bag, some food, water, a cold steel machete, and on occasion I might put in a S&W 422 and a couple hundred rounds of .22 ammo....as for water, what I do is take the empty 2 liter soda jugs. Fill with water, put 2 drops of bleach in the lid, screw lid onto the jug and shake...a cheap solution to having some emergency water on hand.

I always carry a lighter and a knife, but do have these items in the trunk of the car. Usually carry a zippo or zippo type lighter, if necessary it can be filled with a few drops of gasoline. However, if you carry extra flints under the felt pad, you have to remove the flints when using gasoline, or it will dissolve them...On my property in the desert, we have placed a jar and a notebook and pencile in the event that we have to flee the city on foot. This way we can let each other know we are alright and where to meet. I have also tucked a few goodies away in the desert in a 50 gal. drum...so if the need were great, could take just what is on my person and resupply up in the desert!

Now, is civil unrest a remote possibily? Is an earthquake, perhaps one like in China, Turkey which left 1,000's homeless...what is the harm is tucking a few "goodies" back in the event of an emergency..I feel it is better to have something tucked away and not need it, than to suddenly find myself is dire straights wishing I had some equipment!

butch50
August 11, 2005, 06:39 PM
Hahnb

Wrong! That is most definitely not what you are waiting for! :D

Come on, fess up, be a man, tell us what you are really waiting for!

Bravo25
August 11, 2005, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by chemist308:
What I don't understand is what another person had to say:

[QUOTE]
Bravo: ...If my wife, and I can make contact for 1 hour she goes to a relative. If we can't make contact for eight hours she goes to another location, If not for 24 hours she starts making her way to the farm 2 states away... [QUOTE]

No flames, I'm curious. Unless you're running from the law, why do that?

Lets assume the worst. Global effects mutiple tornados destroy communications, travel, food supplies, people going nuts scavenging. Civil disobediance on a scale that local LEO can't handle because everyone is now scared, and deperate.

Or Nukes=EMP's. No communications, No travel, No civil authority with enough infrastructure to handle the situation. Civil disobediance on a scale that local LEO can't handle because everyone is now scared, and deperate.

Chemical Spill on a mass scale. We have close to here a chemical plant that produces some of the most dangerous chemicals known to man.

Military invasion. There are people, and troops that cross our southern borders that people never hear about.

Medical, or biological outbreak.

Most of these scenarios would involve 2 things. Getting to a safe area quickly, and knowing what the other is doing. The other is Martial Law. I have been through that one, and trust me the military does not have the best interest of me or my family in mind. Only containment.

So it is imperative to just know how to react, and what to do if you can't get ahold of the other. If things get that bad, be prepared to survive. Forget laws, civil obediance, helping your fellow man (at least until your own security is established). Forget liability, protocol, and the wait, and see attitude. Nothing is worse than a hundred thousand people all being extremely deperate, and going nuts with no leadership or infrastructure to caontain the violence, and destruction they will be capable of.

Hahnb
August 11, 2005, 06:45 PM
How would any of those supplies help you during an earthquake lol. Everyone seems to claim all these things but doesn't actually think how these supplies are going to help. Why the **** would you need a sleeping bag if there was an earthquake? If your house is crushed are you going to sleep on your ****ing front lawn? I would opt for a hotel or a friends.

Bravo25
August 11, 2005, 06:53 PM
I know I should leave him alone, and maybe he'll go away but,

How would any of those supplies help you during an earthquake lol. Everyone seems to claim all these things but doesn't actually think how these supplies are going to help. Why the **** would you need a sleeping bag if there was an earthquake? If your house is crushed are you going to sleep on your ****ing front lawn? I would opt for a hotel or a friends.

Has anyone told you your IQ is somewhere around refrigerator temperature?
If we take up a collection for you would you go and buy a clue, and leave the intellegent discussions to the adults.

Hahnb
August 11, 2005, 07:00 PM
And how many degrees do you have, sir?

You all have seen way too many movies. The chances of any of that happening are so mathmatically slim that it's basically impossible. Half of those scenarios wouldn't even require all the bull**** in those bags.

Rangefinder
August 11, 2005, 07:02 PM
A lot of people like the idea of a Bic lighter, and that's not a bad thing, but don't rely on it as your only source of fire. Several reasons--Get it wet and it's not lighting for a while, not good. Anyone ever give one a flick and have the spring shoot the flint over your shoulder to who-knows-where? And after lighting something, most peoples' automatic reaction is to stuff it in the pocket of their jeans. Now take a seat for a little while so the gas starts flowing---wadda-ya know the next time you need it, you're out of fluid and all you have is a near-useless sparker.

I'm not saying don't carry one, by all means--DO. But carry a back-up fire source also.

butch50
August 11, 2005, 07:13 PM
I prefer matches. Starting a fire with a bic nearly always ends up with the darned thing getting too hot to hold or scalding my finger. Plus a match you can light and then drop down into a pile of tinder.

Magnesium fire starters make good backups to matches.

Another interesting idea I ran across is caching supplies. Burying supplies in 10 inch PVC pipe with the ends sealed (or similar storage containers) in various locations that you would try to get to, or on the way to somewhere you would try to get to.

Hahnb
August 11, 2005, 07:15 PM
Why not just hire a construction crew to follow you around 24 hours a day? This way they can build you a house if yours gets invaded by aliens hired by the commies.

Rangefinder
August 11, 2005, 07:22 PM
It's hunting season. You take 3 days off in the middle of the week to go out after that monster bull elk you've been watching for the past month. Your area isn't real popular, and pretty rugged--hence there's a monter bull out there. It's been snowing off and on all weekend--even better--TRACKS! So there you are, miles from nowhere, hiking to your spot at 3AM in the dark so you're in position when he crosses the saddle with his herd at first light. *OOPS!* You take a bad step, tumble, and before you know what direction is up or down, you're crumpled against a tree with a badly broken ankle. To top it off, it's snowing again. So----situation: No one is supposed to expect you back for three days. You're miles from nowhere, and if you're there for that monster bull, it's likely few people would have much idea where to start looking for you other then general area when the DO start missing you. It's dark, with freezing temperatures, and you're now facing shock and hypothermia that puts you in a critical, life-threatening situation.

Is this realistic? VERY. Unprepared people die every year from similar things. Me? I'd rather be over-prepared and have a better chance of surviving this. For the "kids" that think we're a bunch of paranoid radicals, here's your little challenge. Take a look through my pack list earlier posted and tell me what in there WOULDN'T be useful. Then I'll tell you why you're wrong, why I'd likely live through something like I discribed, and you wouldn't stand a chance given current attitude.

butch50
August 11, 2005, 08:14 PM
In several parts of the US a catastrophic earthquake is a matter of when, not if. Everyone knows about California, but how many know about Missouri? Check out the history of lake Reel Foot sometime, scary. How many are aware of the "super volcano" in Montana, aka Yellowstone National Park? Not if but when it blows (and it is geologically due) it will create a horrendous problem for the entire North American continent, something on the orderof magnitude of multiple hydrogen bombs going off, something like 10,000 Mt St Helens?

Lots of folks live in tornado alley - lots of folks have been and will be in severe crisis from tornados - watch the news. Then for the east coasters and the gulf coasters, hurricane season is almost here again, and it is expected to be another bad one. Shoot, we have had how may already before the normal season even started?

There are the kinds of emergencies that happen while driving in the sticks, car breaks down and it is a long hike out, or driving when a blizzard comes up on you, or......Predicting these kind of things is impossible. Better to have a few odds and ends on hand just in case you ever need them.

Even WC Fields had an emergency that he wasn't prepared for, he said "Once ... in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were forced to live on nothing but food and water for days." :D :D

HighValleyRanch
August 11, 2005, 08:38 PM
Hey, I want one of those. Do you know of any source in the USA. The website is all in Norwegian, so I can't read anything.

Can I order direct, or are there any sources here in the USA?
thanks for your help.

HighValleyRanch
August 11, 2005, 08:46 PM
Don't worry, HahnB probably doesn't need any of that stuff, because he doesn't leave his house, and the only camping he's ever done is on Everquest! :barf:

beenthere
August 11, 2005, 08:48 PM
I started carrying a minimal bag some years ago. Two survival blankets, a package of emergency candles, waterproof match container, a dozen dog biscuits, extra sox and gloves and a set of insulated underwear.

Why? A few years ago two men I worked with were killed in a snowstorm on their way to work. Zero visability, ran out of gas, froze, car completely buried and only found when a snow plow hit the car. Not in Colorado, Montana, Maine or such. This happened in Ohio.

HighValleyRanch
August 11, 2005, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I live in the mountains too, some snow, 100+ inches of rain is common, fires, earthquakes, floods and old cars and trucks.
Been stranded out in the cold more than a few times, so even my go to town pack is pretty large!

I guess those of you that don't see the merits of being prepared for emergency situations ahead of time don't carry a gun? What's the chances of you getting into a gun fight? So why carry then? Not much difference in my opinion.

roger-ruger
August 11, 2005, 09:25 PM
Did anyone mention a bible? :)

joab
August 11, 2005, 10:05 PM
Hahnb
Have you and your buddy ever left the house or are you even old enough to be out after dark?

Why is it those with the least to add to a discussion always want to say it the loudest.

If you don't like what's being discussed here act like a big boy.
hike up your pull-ups and go play somewhere else

Bob41081
August 11, 2005, 10:18 PM
I'd ditch the disposible poncho and get a G.I. one along with a liner. The trauma and space blanket will not really keep you warm. I'd change them out to the 10 to 15$ Sportsman blanket much more sturdy. Again they really won't keep you warm but will serve as ground sheet/tarp. the GI poncho/liner is probably good to 50°.How big is water bottle, you're going to need several liters/day esp in the Tx heat. Go to a backpacking store and get a collosible(sp?) canteen--Nalgene or Platypus and some purifying tabs, you might not have time to pump and need to purifiy on the run. I 'd keep the matches but add the Bic, several in fact. Also get some waterproof matches and match safe at the backpacking store along with some type of firestarter. Flares are great but will only work once-save for really bad weather. Once you are really using the BOB don't keep all you fire starting material in one place.
I don't remember if you listed a flashlight. Get a good LED one batteries will last much longer. I like Princeton Tec, Streamlight and Surefire(very expensive)Carry an extra set of batteries, Lithium preferred.Sometype of small radio to keep up with events. To get some ideas go to http://www.equipped.com/. Bladeforums.com and and Kniveforum.com both have survivalforums with tons of info.
Do you have a small fixed blade and a folder in the kit or do you carry on self or in vechicle. Small folding limb saw

It's a good start.

Bob

joab
August 11, 2005, 10:26 PM
Cold is not much of an issue here.
My tent is a jungle hammock with an old GI tarp hung on a line strung over the top and two long sticks used to keep the tarp spread out.

I used to camp like that for years.
It makes a nice hanging tent to keep you off the cold wet ground and takes up minimal room.

marshall2
August 12, 2005, 04:53 AM
In worst case scenarios, of course your cell phone won't work. However, if you are out on a hunting trip and have an accident, your cell phone will be your lifeline. Wonder why no one has mentioned a cell phone yet? Probably because we like to think we can independently take care of ourselves no matter what. However, that ain't the way it is. Also, I would suggest building a network of like-minded friends. In the worst case scenario, this would be truly invaluable. Church might be a good place to start.

joab
August 12, 2005, 05:26 AM
Wonder why no one has mentioned a cell phone yet? Probably because we like to think we can independently take care of ourselves no matter what. More likely for the same reason no one has mentioned underwear yet, it's that much a part of everyday life that it hasn't been given a second thought.
Nowadays grabbing my cell just to go down to the store is as natural as grabbing my car keys

butch50
August 12, 2005, 08:20 AM
Yes, unfortunately, my cell phone is always with me. There are some good ideas coming out of this thread.

I have enough packed water for one day. The water filter is a pretty neat little affair. It is a plastic bottle (Bottoms Up brand http://www.neatitems.com/Bottoms-Up.htm) that will filter up to 200 gallons of water. You fill it up and squeeze the bottle and the water comes out of a spout just like a regular sports drink bottle. You can clean up stagnant ditch water with this thing - so unless I get into a situation where there just isn't any water available anywhere, I am ok on water with minimal weight.

I have a swiss army poncho that I need to put in my truck with my bob, It is a bit bulky which is why it isn't in the bag. But if need be I could always tie it on top of the bag and carry it that way.

ethernectar
August 12, 2005, 09:19 AM
Even WC Fields had an emergency that he wasn't prepared for, he said "Once ... in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were forced to live on nothing but food and water for days."

LOL... Although I haven't put a bug-out-bag together, mine would surely include some barter items. If the SHTF ya'll can come to my bar. (Trollers too... we're going to have to eat somebody...)

Bravo25
August 12, 2005, 09:50 AM
No flames here,(well except for the little boys on the parents computer) this only an extremley educational thread. In that light I need to point out something here...

Cold is not much of an issue here.
My tent is a jungle hammock with an old GI tarp hung on a line strung over the top and two long sticks used to keep the tarp spread out.

I've used to camp like that for years.
It makes a nice hanging tent to keep you off the cold wet ground and takes up minimal room.

When the SHTF, so will conventional thinking. You will ratchet up to survival mode, and not what normal everday life has been. Should you be forced to move north, or severe weather changes occur (there is discussion of events that could bring Chicago's climate down to Georgia) you may need warmer items. I have only warm items in my gear as I can modify them to cooler wearing but can't go the other way. I can cut off sleeves, but not make new ones to sew on. I can layer clothers, and sleep in a light weight bag if the temp drops, or slim down some if weather is warm. Think extremes. Buy only the best equipment, you are betting your life, and the life of loved ones on it. Don't get propane lanterns, get dual fuel. Have a hand crank pump to extract fuel from underground tanks.(This can be optional as there may be plenty of vehicles sitting around with fuel left in them), but you get the idea. etc...

You have to think in extremes that most people have never considered. And always, always remember the most important rule of survival. "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst!"

Unless you have spent years studying this stuff, get a good survival manual. Go to the web sites. Sit down with your family, determine needs, priorities, and develop a plan. Don't wait until you have enough to put it all together, start NOW. when you go to the store buy a copule extra cans of vegetables. Get an extra can of white gas, buy an extra bottle of water. I could write a complete book, but most people here are adult enough to figure this stuff out. It is just that we don't think of these things very often because we are no longer forced to. We have all the convieniences, and luxuries of modern living, and as the saying goes "The squeaky wheel gets the grease". Bad part is the wheel is starting to squeak, please don't wait until it falls off. Because when the SHTF I would like to be able to catch up with guys on the other side.

HighValleyRanch
August 12, 2005, 10:03 AM
Cell phones are somewhat over rated.
I can't even get reception at my house, nor most places in the mountains around here.

But I still normally carry one because it works about 50% of the time.

buzz_knox
August 12, 2005, 11:24 AM
You know, I think that this thread two revealing characteristics of trolls.

1. With their first post, they eliminate any hope of intelligent conversation with them . . . ever.

2. They say things over the net they wouldn't have the guts to say to your face.

AlphaBravo
August 12, 2005, 11:45 AM
Edited for personal attack.

Denny

buzz_knox
August 12, 2005, 11:58 AM
And here we have a prime example of characteristic 1.

LaVere
August 12, 2005, 12:42 PM
6" hunting knife
50 foot parashoot cord
1 mylar thermal blanket
matches
hammer
misc. repair tools
First aid Kit Johnson and johnson in a steel water proof case.
200-300 round of .40 SW and .45 ACP
ax
two heave knit sweaters
two nylon ponchoes
1 army entrenching tool
extra heavy knit socks
two knit stocking caps
leather work gloves
leather insulated mittens
1 big commercal dry chem fire exten.
and other as the season changes.
leather work boots
felt lined winter boots
3 cell mag light with extra batteries and bulbs
2 wool army blankets.
I have other thing in the house that may be needed and are ready to go.
such as colemen lantern multi fuel
coleman stones (2) a one burner and a two burner.
5 gallons on coleman gas in a suitable metal storage container.
2 12 volt to 120 vac inverters 400 watts.

well any way the list goes on some of the stuff is just good since in cold winter WX.

I think I'll look over your list and maybe add to mine
thanks

Denny Hansen
August 12, 2005, 12:48 PM
Trolls have been put back under the bridge.

We will play nice here.

Denny

mgdavis
August 12, 2005, 01:34 PM
If you search bug out bag or shtf at bladeforums.com you will find quite a few relevent threads.

ADBF
August 12, 2005, 03:56 PM
As far as the trolls are concerned...They make fun of you for preparing for the possibility of problems, then when the "sh** hits the fan" they'll be right there asking you if you have any extra...fill in the blank. :rolleyes:

joab
August 12, 2005, 04:16 PM
When the SHTF, so will conventional thinking. You will ratchet up to survival mode, and not what normal everday life has been. My father, who spent some time as a Green Beret took me survival camping starting at about 8.
Everything I needed or was allowed to take was packed into a sleeping bag/bed roll and strung across my shoulder ala that Kung Fu guy
I've slept comfortably in 25 degree weather in this setup
So this naturally will be what I revert to when planning a survival bag.
Minimalism to the extreme.

To paraphrase Mel Gibson's Sergent Major.

If I need a warm coat to move up north, there'll be plenty laying around.

My SHTF scenario/beliefs have always centered around a believable natural disaster causing civil unrest and temporary societal dysfunction. If forced to leave my home I'm heading 10 miles into the forests around here. An extreme case would see me trying to make my way to the Glades

joab
August 12, 2005, 04:20 PM
We will play nice here. But we did play nice, we just played hard.

I mean come on, trolls around here are like snowballs in Fla.
They're not gonna last long so you gotta have fun with them while they last.

I recognize the style from a short lived troll over at THR

butch50
August 12, 2005, 05:32 PM
They did provide a certain entertainment value, I will kind of miss them. But, oh well.

Rangefinder
August 12, 2005, 06:20 PM
I probably won't miss them very much... My accuracy is pretty good. :D

3 weelin geezer
August 12, 2005, 08:28 PM
PM #19
Hahnb

LOL, that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my entire life. I bet half of you idiots don't even wear your seat belt when you drive, which has a thousand times greater chance of killing you than a terrorist attack or whatever the hell you're preparing for.

Even if there was a terrorst attack, how would any **** in that bag, or passwords help you at all? Unless you carry that back pack on your back 24 hours a day it's pretty much useless if it's in your car-unless terroists decided to attack your truck

The dollar bill ripped in half was even more hilarious. You people act like your all secret agents in another country and you do spy work. Get over it, you're a normal person-this isn't a james bond movie-sorry to tell you.
Hahnb is offline Report Bad Post

Marco!.....<waits for countersign>

Damn! I have been made! You guys use a dollar??? Damn, all this time I thought it was supposed to be a $100. I am going to have to E-raticate this guy with my lasertag phaser and then head for the nearest Pay-n-spray to get rid of the heat.

I AM a secret agent. I love secrets whether in this country or whatever country you claim to be from. I deal in secrets. Ya wanna hear one? I was dating your sister last night and she called me by her boyfriends name.

Ok, seriously now. I have just one fat blanket big enough for two :cool: , some 'OFF' , ammo for the shotgun, some toilet paper that comes in very useful on quad rides which last all day, um.....a couple of lighters,some firecrackers and a cheap stogie to light them with. And a 'club'. Sometimes I bring my dog too.

claude783
August 12, 2005, 08:50 PM
Actually, I have torn up a dollar and my buddy carries half. In the event of an emergency, we can add the numbers from the dollar to a GPS co-ordinate which makes it impossible for someone to intercept our meeting place. This in the event that the jar/note book in the desert is still there!

Also, you can use a calculator to encrypt information...example

1234 X 16 = 1974
1974 X 16 = 31584
3158 X 16 = 50534
to encode the word cat:
C=3
A=1
T=20

1977, 3159, 5073
-1974, 3158, 5053
-----------------
3. 1, 20

So by using a preset code you can have some secure communication...plus a palm pilot can be sent via the mail with your information being somewhat secure...Paranoid, probably, but the gov't today is warning us about "gas" tankers blowing up on the freeways:

tshadow6
August 12, 2005, 09:12 PM
When hurricane season approaches here in Fl, I start buying a little more of all the non-perishable staple items each week. Bottled water, canned goods etc. I keep all the vehicles fueled and top off my gas cans. In case of evacuation, my family comes with me to the secure facility I work at, or they go to the family farm with some supplies for two weeks. People can laugh if they want to but last year's hurricane season proved you have to be prepared. A weapon for self defense, enough food and water for a few weeks and reliable transportation.

Sulaco2
August 13, 2005, 01:14 AM
Keep a bug out bag and GOOD boots in my unmarked car at work. Seattle comes crashing down I plan on a less than 2 day walk home. Next earth quake is a sure thing just a matter of when.... :)

GodofWar
August 13, 2005, 12:13 PM
Trolls will be a major concern when tshtf....they will be the first to try to kill you and steal your BoB...

butch50
August 13, 2005, 12:14 PM
Seattle is also a Tsunami zone.

GodofWar
August 13, 2005, 12:40 PM
Better get a bug out boat then....

buzz_knox
August 13, 2005, 01:44 PM
Quick quiz: who remembers what movie this line is from?

"They're back!"

Just seemed appropriate right now.

joab
August 13, 2005, 01:55 PM
Poltertrolls?

buzz_knox
August 13, 2005, 02:05 PM
Good one, because out of the millions of movies ever made only 1 of them has the words they're back in succession.

Other movies may have had the words, but only one made them famous. Sort of like:

"You are the weakest link. Good bye."

buzz_knox
August 13, 2005, 02:07 PM
Poltertrolls?

Was that the one that had the angry spirits throwing crap all around forums?

GodofWar
August 13, 2005, 02:28 PM
what happened to his post? censored?deleted?
so much for freedom of speach,even if he was a troll !!!

joab
August 13, 2005, 04:46 PM
How about Trolltergeist.

This is not a government entity it is not bound to the BOR.

You and he and I agreed to certain rules pertaining to conduct in order to become a member of this private club.
The penalty for violating those rules is banishment and deletion of your legacy

joab
August 13, 2005, 04:47 PM
"You are the weakest link. Good bye." :D

Rangefinder
August 13, 2005, 10:32 PM
Remotely back on topic...

If you don't have one already, pick up a vaccuum sealer---it's a wonderful creation. Aside from the obvious (food storage) I have nearly everything in my BoB vaccuumed. I could toss it in a lake and none of my precious gear is getting the slightest bit wet. I even have my matches sealed in little 5-pack bundles. Going camping? Vaccuum a couple cans of soup or chili MRE style. Gonna stash some ammo or supplies somewhere out in the middle of nowhere in case the shtf? Vaccuum seal it before you put it in the PVC to bury. My neighbor just sent three handguns to his brother to store before he goes traveling for the fall/winter. For a little added insurance we stripped and sealed them with silica packs before they went into to hardcase for UPS. A million uses besides in the kitchen, seriously. You can pick a decent one up for about $75-$100 at just about any major store chain now (Wal-mart, Target, Shop-ko, etc.). A real handy thing for any sportsman household. Sorry if this reads like a cheezy 3AM info-mercial, but it's good stuff.

joab
August 14, 2005, 07:07 AM
Rangefinder
I hadn't thought of those in years, but at one time had seriously considered getting one.
The price was more than I could handle at the time though.

I'll have to check them out again, humidity gets into everything down here

markwf
August 14, 2005, 10:36 AM
I like everything I've read here and picked up some real good suggestions. Here are two I didn't see mentioned which are in my BOB:
$500 in small bills
30 day supply of all prescription meds; everytime I get a refill I replace the ones in my bag.

Bravo25
August 14, 2005, 11:31 AM
$500 in small bills

This could go either way. Paper money may no longer be useful. Dpending on the severity of the catastrophy. Gold, and/or silver as well might be a good option.

MillCreek
August 14, 2005, 12:07 PM
Keep a bug out bag and GOOD boots in my unmarked car at work. Seattle comes crashing down I plan on a less than 2 day walk home. Next earth quake is a sure thing just a matter of when..

Sulaco2 (that is one of my favorite movies by the way), for twenty years I worked in downtown Seattle and lived up in Snohomish county. I agree with you that the most likely natural disaster to hit Seattle will be an earthquake. Something I thought about from time to time was how to get home after a large quake: to get north of downtown Seattle, you have to cross a bridge over the ship canal. If all the bridges are collapsed or cannot be crossed by car, what would be my plan B?

I figured if worse came to worse, I would abandon the car and try to cross the ship canal down by Montlake. If necessary, I could 'borrow' a dinghy or make an impromptu float to help get me across the water. If that was not an option, and if the floating bridges over Lake Washington were unusable, I could walk down to Renton around the tip of the lake, and walk north along the 405 route. I also pondered making it to the shore of the Sound and walking north along the railroad tracks, but after a big quake, I suspect that a lot of the bluffs will have slid down over the tracks.

Years of backpacking and hiking experience have taught me that my unladen speed is about 4 miles per hour, and with a full pack over rough terrain, about two miles per hour. So in ideal circumstances, I should have been able to walk home in twelve hours or less.

Fortunately, I now work about ten miles from home, and I would not have to cross any bodies of water to get home from my office. I think the suggestion to have sturdy shoes or boots in the BOB is an excellent point.

joab
August 14, 2005, 01:07 PM
Collapse of the goverment making paper money, making money issued by that government worthless

Drastic rise in inflation to the point that $500 will buy you a loaf of bread.

Both of these have happened in the 20th century (lol)

Rangefinder
August 14, 2005, 01:22 PM
Realisticly thinking, nothing in the usual monetary system is going to be worth much, including gold or silver. In the event of a full economic/governmental crash it's going to revert back to the 1800's style of trade and barter. "You have twelve cans of Hormel and a can of creamed corn? How about this old Buck knife? Tip's broke but it'll still skin a deer just as well..." If the shtf I want a tool, a weapon, or something to eat in my pack, not a pocket full of gold. Hell, I think lead would become more valuable than gold in such a case--definitely more useful.

As to the day-to-day crisis that I might need my pack (short of minor catastrophy) a film canaster full of quarters to make a few phone calls wouldn't be a bad thing. Other than that, I don't see the use of keeping money in a BoB.

joab
August 14, 2005, 01:44 PM
explain to me what could possibly happen that would make paper money useless? You asked
I answered.

Do a check on how many governments have collapse in the latter half of the 20th century for the answer to your second question.

Remember your question was possible not probable

Rangefinder
August 14, 2005, 01:47 PM
None of those things could ever happen. Collapse of the government? What exactly would cause this?

It really isn't so far-fetched that it could never happen. Take a look through history. There's a trend of governments falling when they get too "big for their britches."

If you want a recient example of governmental collapse, have a look at what happened leading up to and during the USSR fold. That wasn't much more than a decade ago, and let me tell ya, I wouldn't have wanted to be in any Russian occupied territory during that time.

Ftom14cat
August 14, 2005, 01:51 PM
Supprised no one mentioned this: Duct Tape. I do a lot of camping/backpacking/hiking, and my first aid kit always includes duct tape. Too usefull to pass up, even if it is bulky and heavy. I don't remeber who said it, but I liked the sewing kit sugestion too. Every once in a while it comes in handy while on a backpacking trip.

buzz_knox
August 14, 2005, 01:51 PM
None of those things could ever happen. Collapse of the government? What exactly would cause this?

In terms of the national gov't collapsing? Major non-localized natural disasters such as Yellowstone cutting loose or an asteroid/comet strike; or strategic attacks against the national infrastructure (i.e. major virus disables/destroys both computer databases and networks, resulting in a severing of command/control lines and devastation to the economy or there is a successful attack against the Capital and the VP during a state of the union address); or a widespread NBC engagement (not "end of the world" type but combining sufficient nuclear, biological, and chemical attacks over a sufficiently large area that the federal gov't's resources can't hold up, especially if the command and control structure have been impacted as well). In most such scenarios, the national gov't as we know it would collapse as the gov't pulled its resources back to maintain control over the areas it could.

Local gov'ts are more easily susceptible to collapse, as evidenced by federal involvement during major localized natural disasters, such as hurricanes. Local gov'ts rely heavily on federal authorities for assistance, and if said authorities are otherwise engaged, the local gov't could fall.

joab
August 14, 2005, 02:13 PM
You better never get into a car because it's possible it could crash. Better not even go outside at all because you could be struck by lightning, get bit by a snake, or fall and break your ankle.
During normal times there are emergency services available to handle these everyday emergencies. those personel will not be available or will be severely strained during a widespread disaster.
If there was going to be a asteroid strike would we know about it long before it ever happened Of all the things he mentioned you only saw asteroid?

There is one example in recent history of a government falling and reverting back to the stoneage overnight.
Where money was made useless and having an education was a crime punishable by death.

Improbable that it would happen here, but you did say possible

buzz_knox
August 14, 2005, 02:19 PM
If there was going to be a asteroid strike would we know about it long before it ever happened. That doesn't really rationalize what you're saying.

Actually, we probably wouldn't. We've got less people than staff one McDonald's professionally searching for such asteroids/comets. Most of them are found by amateurs. And most of the near misses have come when the objects have been on their way out of the system, having already passed the Earth. At least once in the last few years, an asteroid passed at a distance which placed it within lunar orbit and we didn't know it existed until it was already past.

joab
August 14, 2005, 02:35 PM
It's funny how some of you are preparing for an asteroid strike but you drive a car everyday which is thousands of times more likely to kill you. Whats really funny, Josh, is that you keep making the same statements while not bothering to read the answers given to those statements. (lol)

butch50
August 14, 2005, 02:48 PM
coleman27

Is it your position that our government will exist for eternity, that it will never ever fail?

If your answer is yes, end of discussion. If you answer is no, then the next question is:

When, in your opinion is our government going to fail? If you have a specific answer as to when, end of discussion - assuming you have some very good reason to pin-point the failure date. If you can't answer that question credibly, then the next question is:

What makes you believe that it won't happen in your life time? Is it ego on your part, or naivete?

Or to put the above into a statement: I believe that at some point in time our government will fail, for some reason, but I don't know when it will fail. Given that I believe it will fail, and can't predict when, then it is possible that it will fail in my life time. Given that it may fail in my lifetime then it would be poor judgement not to have made some very basic and preliminary preparations, preparations that take up 2 cubic feet of space and cost me less than $200.

I should also ask you the same series of questions about asteroids - never? if someday, when? Or about yellowstone going off - never? if someday, when?

And those are for the major national type of emergencies. There are other localized situations that can come up, many of which depend upon where you live.

Are the odds that we will need a bug out kit remote? Actually that is not a calculation that can be made, insufficient data - History is replete with episodes of huge upheavals and turmoils that no one was prepared for. Why should we be so special that it can't happen to us?

joab
August 14, 2005, 02:48 PM
Why would you prepare for something that has a extremely miniscule chance of happening, but not prepare for something that is several thousands times more likely to kill you?
What imminent emergency exactly are we not planning for?

butch50
August 14, 2005, 02:52 PM
Coleman, try answering my questions, out of courtesy and to show that you are actually interested in the discussion as opposed to enjoying a bit of baiting, and then I will try answering yours.

Thanks

Butch

buzz_knox
August 14, 2005, 02:55 PM
That's because the answers don't make any sense. Why would you prepare for something that has a extremely miniscule chance of happening, but not prepare for something that is several thousands times more likely to kill you?

They don't make sense or don't make sense to you? That is a very major distinction. On this thread, people have discussed conerns they have involving earthquakes, tornadoes, tsunamis, etc. These events occur far more frequently than once in a life time, and if you spend some time on the forums, you'll actually find people who have used bug out bags and gear in the course of surviving said event. So, the answer there makes perfect sense, if you're willing to get out of the "these people are paranoid 'cause this stuff doesn't happen" box.

As for your response to my statement concerning the asteroid concern, I based it on the public statements of those charged with searching the skies. If you have an issue with that or information superior to theirs, please contact them. They would be glad to know their concerns are overrated.

As for the discussion of the gov't failing, you asked a question and I answered it. If that answer doesn't make sense, please contact the federal gov't who has ordered all agencies to carry out Continuity of Operations preparation for many of the reasons I've stated.

buzz_knox
August 14, 2005, 03:05 PM
First off, what do you mean by the "government collapsing"? Explain to me what would cause this, since you seem to think it's possible and could be in your life time. History is important, but everything is relative. Government isn't the same as it was in the 16th century, nore is anything else.

Asked and answered. But since you won't accept those answers, try this.

Yes, gov't isn't the same as it was. It's more vulnearable because nothing is the same. The gov't isn't based on the power of a ruling class which controls via either divine right and (more typically) by virtue of its historical control of wealth. It's based on a very delicate interconnection of beliefs (i.e. paper money has value, and giving money to Washington provides some form of return) which have no value except that which we give them, and which is merged into an incredibly complex structure. That structure is vulnearable to the effects of natural and artificial disasters. And once one part of the structure fails, the others will be crippled. This doesn't require contemplation of meteor strikes or rogue comets; it just requires an understanding of how delicate and fragile things are.

Gov't fall in the 21st century just like they did in the 16th . . or the 20th. Take a look at how many gov'ts fell in the last century, despite being less vulnearable to technological attack.

joab
August 14, 2005, 03:10 PM
2001 Argentine government collapsed due to economic crisis sparking massive public unrest

recently Iraq,s government collapse rather dramatically the new one will collapse within 10 years (personal prediction)

Many people predict an economic collapse in the US in the next 10 to 20 years

Elements within the Irish government are threatening an orchestrated collapse now

In 1975 Pnomh Phen was emptied in an afternoon by militaristic zealots and the people forced into rural agrarian lifestyles despite the existence of modern cities, which also were forcefully evacuated

The Japanese Yen recently weakened due to fears of the Japanese governments imminent collapse over the issue of nationalizing the postal system

And again I ask you what every day imminent disasters are we overlooking in preparing a BOB

Topthis
August 14, 2005, 03:11 PM
Dude, the post about the ripped dollar to coordinate GPS etc.....was a joke! Hooooo boy!!!

butch50
August 14, 2005, 03:13 PM
NEWS BRIEF: "It Is Time To Cast a Worried Eye Towards Yellowstone", 22-August-2003, Larry Park and Marshall Masters

"Yesterday afternoon, a 4.4 magnitude earthquake occurred just 9 miles southeast of the south entrance to Yellowstone National Park ... given the shallow depth of this quake, the volcanism model developed by Larry Park has suddenly lurched us a huge step towards a worst-case eruption event. Simply put, anyone living within 600 miles of Yellowstone could be sitting in a modern day Pompeii. In addition, for those living outside this area and West of the Mississippi River, there could be grievous consequences as well, because systemic processes are now building beneath Yellowstone that paint a very clear picture of a major eruption event in its early stages."

What specific signs convinced these authors that the Yellowstone Super-Volcano is about ready to blow, and may actually be in the beginning stages? The huge land deformation in this area is the major sign that a "Slow Earthquake" of enormous size and devastation may actually now be under way. What is a "land deformation"? When a volcano is building hot magma within its crater, the magma will push against the rock from the inside; at the weakest part of the rock formation comprising the crater walls, the magma will begin to push upward and/or outward, creating a "rock or land deformation". When Mt. St. Helens blew up May, 18, 1980, that explosion was preceded by some months of a visible rock deformation that extended outward about 450 feet.

"By May 17, more than 10,000 earthquakes had shaken the volcano and the north flank had grown outward at least 450 feet to form a noticeable bulge. Such dramatic deformation of the volcano was strong evidence that molten rock (magma) had risen high into the volcano." ["Mount St. Helens – From the 1980 Eruption to 2000", USGS,

From this USGS document, you can see them admit that the rock deformation on the crater "was strong evidence that molten rock (magma) had risen high into the volcano." Indeed, this is the opinion of a professor of Geology. Listen:

"Volcanos are an awesome display of Nature's power ... It is, therefore, necessary to closely monitor the volcanoes in order to mitigate the hazards arising from an eruption. Ground surface deformation can give clues to magmatic processes at depth and is a reliable indicator of an impending eruption." ["GPS On The Web: GPS Volcano Deformation Monitoring", Volker Janssen, School of Surveying and Information Systems, The University of South Wales ]

Once again, the key point: "Ground surface deformation ... is a reliable indicator of an impending eruption."

Now, let us turn toward the rock deformation of the Yellowstone Super-Volcano to see how large the rock deformation is in Yellowstone Park.

NEWS BRIEF: "Park lake hints at buildup to huge blast', DenverPost.com, Sunday, August 10, 2003.

"YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. - The mystery of the deep at picturesque Yellowstone Lake is a bulge that rises 100 feet from the lake floor, stretches the length of seven football fields, and has the potential to explode at any time. Of all the life-threatening events that could happen at Yellowstone - from volcanic eruptions to massive earthquakes - this type of hydrothermal explosion is likely the most immediate, serious hazard in the park ... Denver-based geologists have discovered a towering mound that has swollen to the size of seven football fields at the bottom of Yellowstone Lake."

Thus, we have a rock deformation that absolutely dwarfs the maximum deformation at Mt. St. Helens (450 feet). The dimensions of this rock deformation at the bottom of Yellowstone Lake are 100 feet high by 2,100 feet wide! But, this is not the only rock deformation bulging upward and outward in the Yellowstone Park Super-Volcano! Going back to our Denver Post article, we learn:

"Just south of Norris basin is a bulge in the earth about 28 miles across and 7 miles deep that has pushed the ground up more than 5 inches since 1996, according to research by Chuck Wicks, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey in Menlo Park, California ... This summer already has shown signs that the caldera remains wide awake. Norris Geyser Basin, the hottest thermal area in Yellowstone, sprouted new mud pots. Ground temperature on the trail soared to 200 degrees Fahrenheit, too hot to touch. Porkchop Geyser, dormant since 1989, erupted on July 16. Park officials responded by barring access to half of the 2 miles of Norris Geyser trails." [Ibid.] These two "mud pots" are approximately 70 feet high and 2,300 feet long!

Thus, these two huge rock deformations are clear indications that a potentially massive movement of magma that will cause a Super-Volcano explosion is already underway! Remember the insight from this professor: "Ground surface deformation ... is a reliable indicator of an impending eruption."

In our subtitle, above, we stated that this Yellowstone Super-Volcano was 20,000 years past due. Let us review that story:

NEWS BRIEF: "Super Volcanoes: Satellites Eye Deadly Hot Spots", Space.com, 07 August 2001

"... no one can say if or when it might become dangerously active. If a volcano is like a hibernating bear, however, then it may well be volcanic springtime in Yellowstone. Super explosions, about 1,000 times more material erupted than Mt. St. Helens in 1980, happen about every 600,000 years at Yellowstone,' Wicks says. 'And it's been about 620,000 years since the last super explosive eruption there."

This article then describes the effects of the blow-up of a Super Volcano:

"... Likewise, the eruption of Mt. St. Helens in 1980 was a volcanic sneeze compared to what scientists say America will experience one day. And a mysterious four-inch-high bulge in the ground of central Oregon is, so far, little more than a conversation piece. Sooner or later, geologists warn, a 'super volcano' will strike. The eruption of pent-up energy will cover half the United States in ash, in some places up to 3 feet (1 meter) deep. Earth will be plunged into a perpetual winter that would last years. Some plant and animal species will disappear forever. Even humans could be pushed to the edge of extinction." [Ibid.]

An excerpt from an article on super-volcanoes.

buzz_knox
August 14, 2005, 03:17 PM
Yellowstone doesn't worry me. A lot of the concerns about it are overblown. And if it does go off, a bug out bag won't help much. Being in the Southern hemisphere might, but I don't think a bag would help me make it down there.

Topthis
August 14, 2005, 03:17 PM
Now...this event would take a very well thought out, not to mention HUGE BoB!!

butch50
August 14, 2005, 03:19 PM
On the other hand, why surrender? Some people somewhere will survive, who will they be? Down here in Texas I think I can be one of the survivors, I sure would try to be.

But, that is meant to be just a concrete example of what can happen in our lifetimes.

butch50
August 14, 2005, 03:26 PM
Buzz, check this out:

The western part of Tennessee was shaken strongly by the New Madrid, Missouri, earthquake of 1811 - 1812 and by earthquakes in 1843 and 1895. The area has also experienced minor shocks. Additional activity has occurred in the eastern part of the State, near the North Carolina border.

The three great earthquakes that occurred in the Upper Mississippi region near New Madrid in 1811 - 1812 rank among the most significant events in U.S. history. maximum intensity for each of the large shocks is estimated at XII. Topographic changes were noted over an area of 75,00 to 130,00 square kilometers; the total area shaken was at least 5 million square kilometers. Damage was very small for such great earthquakes because of sparse population. Chimneys were knocked down in many places in Tennessee, Kentucky, and Missouri. The most seriously affected area was characterized by raised and sunken lands, fissures, sinks, sand blows, and large landslides. The most typical sunken land is Reelfoot Lake in Tennessee. This lake is from 12 to 16 kilometers in length and from 3 to 5 kilometers in width. The submergence ranged from 1.5 to perhaps 6 meters, although greater depths were reported.

On January 4, 1843, a severe earthquake (intensity VIII) affected Memphis and other places in western Tennessee. The shock was reported to have laster 2 minutes, though this is probably exaggerated. Walls were cracked, chimneys fell, and windows were broken. The total felt area was about 1 million square kilometers. The shock was strongly felt in Knoxville and caused considerable alarm but did no damage. It was also sharply felt in Nashville. Another tremor on November 28, 1844, caused some bricks to fall from chimneys in Knoxville (VI). Windows and dishes rattled and sounds like distant thunder were heard. Memphis experienced additional damage from a July 19, 1895, earthquake. Walls and chimneys cracked, and people were in panic (VI).

A strong shock centered at Knoxville on March 28, 1913, was felt over an area of 7,000 square kilometers in eastern Tennessee. Two shocks were felt in many places. Movable objects were overthrown, and bricks fell from chimneys (VII). A number of false alarms were set off at fire stations.

Buildings throughout the city shook violently. The Knox County Courthouse, a massive brick structure, trembled noticeably. People outdoors experienced a distinct rise and fall in the ground; there were some cases of nausea.

Another earthquake in the Mississippi Valley region caused damage in Tennessee and Arkansas on May 7, 1927. It was strongest at Jonesboro, Arkansas, where some chimneys fell (VII). However, the felt area indicated that the epicenter was farther to the east, in Tennessee. Damage there was limited to the shattering of window panes and breaking of dishes in the Memphis area. Many people were awakened by the early morning (2:28 AM) rapid rocking motion; in addition, surface and subterranean sounds were heard. The shock was also felt in parts of Alabama, Illinois, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Missouri, an area of about 337,000 square kilometers.

A sizable area in western Tennessee was affected by a fairly strong earthquake centered near Covington on November 16, 1941. Cracks appeared in the courthouse at Covington, where the tremor was noticed by everyone (V-VI). At Henning, it was felt by many, and an explosive noise preceded the trembling. The shock was also felt at Dyersburg, Frayser, Memphis, Millington, Pleasant Hill, and Ripley.

Dyersburg was the center of another disturbance on July 16, 1952. The press reported numerous cracks in a concrete-block structure. The earthquake was felt by nearly all, and many persons were frightened (VI). It was also felt at Finley and Jenkinsville. A weak aftershock was felt by a few people.

An earthquake centered near the Arkansas - Tennessee border (near Finley) awakened many residents on January 25, 1955. The 1:24 AM shock broke windows and damaged plaster walls at Finley, where it was felt by all (VI). The total felt area, including points in Illinois and Kentucky, covered about 75,000 square kilometers.

An early morning shock (3:02 AM) on March 29, 1955, was felt by everyone in Finley (VI). Plaster was cracked in one home. A roaring noise and violent shaking were reported. The tremor was felt by many at Caruthersville, Missouri.

Minor damage occurred at Covington from a January 28, 1956, earthquake. Chimneys and walls were cracked (VI). Many were awakened at Covington, and the press reported some residents left their homes at Henning. The shock was also felt in Arkansas and Missouri. Two tremors about 13 minutes apart were felt over a broad area of eastern Tennessee and adjoining parts of Kentucky, North Carolina, and Virginia on September 7, 1956. At Knoxville, both shocks were felt by nearly all, many of whom were alarmed (VI). Windowpanes shattered, dishes broke, objects were shaken from shelves, pictures fell, and some plaster was knocked from walls. The total felt area covered approximately 21,500 square kilometers.

An earthquake sequence consisting of one foreshock, a magnitude 4.6 main shock, and more than 30 aftershocks occurred south of Knoxville during the latter part of 1973. The foreshock, magnitude 3.4, on October 30, was felt over an area of 2,100 square kilometers, with a maximum intensity of V. The main shock cause minor damage (VI) in several towns in eastern Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky, and North Carolina. Minor cracks in walls at the University of Tennessee Hospital at Knoxville were reported. Minor damage to walls, windows, and chimneys occurred in the Maryville - Alcoa area. The shock disrupted relay contacts at the Alcoa switching station, causing a temporary loss of power. The total felt area, including parts of South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia, as well as the region mentioned above, covered about 65,000 square kilometers. A network of eight portable seismographs was installed in the main epicentral area. This network was operational from December 2 through December 12 and recorded 30 small magnitude aftershocks. Additional aftershocks were reported felt on December 13, 14, and 21.

California may be safer than Tennessee from earthquakes, California has them frequently which may relieve the stresses and prevent the big one, but Tennessee and Missouri, when they go they go big, very big because of the lack of periodic stress relief.

Most people do not realize that other portions of the USA besides California are subject to severe earthquakes.

Topthis
August 14, 2005, 03:39 PM
Hey Butch, you got any of this "great" news on other countries?? I would like to know that it is not just the U.S. that is going to sink into the Ocean, be covered in a giant cloud of dust, melted with oceans of lava, swallowed up by the Earth...etc. Maybe something about the Middle East being turned into a Sea of Glass first...

butch50
August 14, 2005, 03:46 PM
The middle east will sink into the region of Hades as it pumps out all of the oil beneath it :D .

Super Volcanoes are scattered out all around the globe.

When I was 8 years old we lived in Arizona, not far from Phoenix. I used to dig up fossilized sea shells all the time, the type that looks like the shell on the shell gas station logo. I would dig them up and then try to imagine that desert as the bottom of an ocean. I learned at an early age that the earth is not a static thing, that it changes and changes in extremely radical ways.

I don't know what the odds are of the next big catastrophe striking during my life time and affecting my life, and I don't really expect anything to happen to me - but do you think the people who recently were struck by that tsunami felt any different the day before it struck, than I feel today? In all reality my bug out bag is set up for a 3 day emergency because anything longer than that is going to be too much to be prepared for. 3 days will get me to a place in the country that has the potential for subsistence survival.

Can you begin to imagine what will happen in the cities if the food supplies were cut off for only a week? When/where people depend entirely upon supermarkets for their most basic survival material?

News Shooter
August 14, 2005, 04:02 PM
of most of the suggested items that the original poster intended. I'm ignoring all the survivalist/troll stuff. If the economy/government does collapse you're going to need a hell of a lot more than a duffle bag. I'm assuming the "survival" will be for just a few days, maybe in a snowstorm or something like that

Here's what I was able to pick up from the threads. I may have missed something. The first one on the list is my add:

An AM/FM radio that can be operated by a crank dynamo ($50 at Brookstone)
Flashlights (LED) extra batteries
Money in some form, preferably small bills
Small propane backpacking propane stove/propane
MRE's
Vacum sealer
Leatherman
Hunting knife/sharpener
Various thermal blankets
plastic garbage bads
zip lock bags
First aid kit
Bic Lighters/Zippo
Matches, waterproof and regular
binoculars
small tool kit
toothbrush
soap
sleeping bag
sewing kit
glow sticks
mirror
duct tape
fishing kit
shoes/socks
whistle
shop towels
compass
candles
water/water filter
flares
reflectors
safety vest
tp
rope
pistol/firearm/ammuition
whiskey

Now, let's get on track. How does this list look to everyone?

joab
August 14, 2005, 04:05 PM
Can you begin to imagine what will happen in the cities if the food supplies were cut off for only a week? Food? you should have been here last year for the quadcanes.
People were lined up at the mobile aid stations like Russians in a toilet paper line for water.
In Florida where you can't go a mile without falling in a lake or dig more than 30 or 40 feet without hitting underground rivers.

If food ever got shut off they would just wring their hands and watch the squirrels and coons play in the backyard and wonder what to do

joab
August 14, 2005, 04:08 PM
Great, you're not fitting all that into a duffle bag, though. Carrying all that with you would be more of a hassle than it would ever help you. You would need 2 gigantic duffle bags to carry all of that. I see your back to tell us what we're doing wrong but still will not address the questions asked of you.
And yes most of that would fit into a small Alice pack, excluding the items that are for BOB prep such as the vacuum sealer.
Besides that, it is a list to choose from not mandatory carry gear

News Shooter
August 14, 2005, 04:10 PM
This is a tough room :rolleyes:

joab
August 14, 2005, 04:15 PM
News Shooter
You forgot shelter.
And yes ,Josh, that will fit in there too

News Shooter
Check your PM

butch50
August 14, 2005, 04:16 PM
Actually, except for the vacuum sealer (which I don't think he meant to be carried) the amount of items Newshooter is discussing is less than the gear that we carried every day in the infantry. We carried all of that, and some more, inside of and strapped on packs with a total weight of about 70 lbs.

News Shooter
August 14, 2005, 04:19 PM
I was just compiling all the suggestions made on this thread. I personally wouldn't use a vacumn sealer.
I agree that soldiers probably carry this and a lot more. Even in Boy Scouts I had most of this stuff. :)

Dave R
August 14, 2005, 05:41 PM
My church--the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons)--advises its members to have a "72-hour kit", which is essentially a Bug-Out Bag. So sure, I have one. My "bag" is actually 3 bug Rubbermaid tubs, since I have a wife and kids to provide for.

The lists here are all pretty good. Nothing to add to contents. Excpet maybe to recommend going camping once in a while to make sure all the stuff works. You don't want to find out it doesn't work when you really need it.

To those who think you are paranoid for having a BOB--California has earthquakes and wildfires. Places near rivers flood. The southeast has hurricanes. Any city could have riots, etc.

joab
August 14, 2005, 06:00 PM
Lets say there was a wildfire in CA, why would this require you to have a bag of such contents? So are you saying that because a BOB would not perceivably help you in particular in a certain situation that we should not be prepared for other situations where it would definetly come in handy.
A BOB is not a majic talisman that will guarantee your safety it's simply something that might

And what about those questions asked of you?

joab
August 14, 2005, 06:04 PM
Unless you live in the woods or move slower than the fire, aka you're a moron, Have you ever been in a forest fire?
How fast do you think they move and how much time do you really think you will have to evacuate. And where do you think you're gonna go.

No offense here but you sound like someone with very little real life experience and a whole lot of advice to give based on it

And how about those questions asked of you earlier?

Bravo25
August 14, 2005, 06:39 PM
What questions?

I'm still waiting for 1 scenario that is likely to happen in which all these supplies are going to come in handy. So far nobody has posted anything relevant to that. A forest fire? Give me a break.

Sometimes I wish we didn't have to cross the bridges. Then we could just avoid the trolls. I really hope that you never plan to have children.
My daughter also has a challenge question that requires a specific reply. But that only makes me paranoid right. Cause children don't get abducted in a Republic like ours. It just can't happen.

coleman27 I am glad you get so much amusement from showing your education level. You throw around words like "moron" to everyone, and you cannot offer one piece of insightful advice yourself. Let me clue you in to something. A forest fire burns faster, and longer than you can ever run! But I guess those fire shelters the parajumpers carry only make them paranoid huh?

Would you at least put forth some effort to contribute instead of only insult.
Thank you
Have a good day then
Bye-bye now
Wipe, flush, and wash will ya?

Duxman
August 14, 2005, 06:40 PM
Guys - thanks for this interesting start - it will certainly help me put together my BOB. Lots of good suggestions and info here. :)

You never know when the next terrorist attack / natural disaster / other world shattering event might occur.

Like Robert Redford said in Spy Game: When did Noah build the Ark Gladys? Before the storm. Before the storm. :D

butch50
August 14, 2005, 07:01 PM
Coleman, you have crossed the line with your insulting behavior. I am putting you on my ignore list, and I suggest that everyone else do the same.

That makes you the only one on my ignore list. :D

joab
August 14, 2005, 07:36 PM
Actually I see that you are actually trying to stay around this time, for some reason.

The problem is that your tolerance for your own ignorance is getting in the way. That's not an insult by the way, we all tend to do that occasionally.

If you truly want to find the reason that we feel the way we do try dialoging and not simply throwing out unsubstantiated claims and indefensible arguments.

Besides I can't put you on ignore, I'm waiting to see if you will address just one question
Here's one now
What imminent emergency exactly are we not planning for?
It was asked in response to this post by you a while back

Why would you prepare for something that has a extremely miniscule chance of happening, but not prepare for something that is several thousands times more likely to kill you?

joab
August 14, 2005, 07:58 PM
OK where'd he go?

Somebody, besides me this time, just made me look real silly.

Denny Hansen
August 14, 2005, 08:03 PM
Joab-

Didn't mean to make you look silly, just hit a button in the moderator's panel and poof!

Denny

swmike
August 14, 2005, 08:18 PM
The problem with a BOB is eventually it grows to the size where it is necessary to have a "Bug Out Truck" or even a "Bug Out Motorhome" :)

I have set my personal weight limit at 50#. Good Pack with the Boy Scout 10 essentials. Add some more food and a good .22 cal rifle. with a brick of ammo. Since I have my 9mm Carry piece at all times with 2 extra mags, it goes too.

MeekAndMild
August 14, 2005, 09:28 PM
With enough duct tape you don't need a bug out bag. :p

joab
August 14, 2005, 10:19 PM
So are you ready to answer the question or are you simply here to continue your ongoing mission to prove that children should be seen and not heard

63Belair
August 14, 2005, 10:36 PM
here is another item that may or may not have been mentioned in this 6 page extravaganza!

magnet powered flashlight.

This is basic, science fair technology, and I bet you have all seen them at radioshack. You shake the flashlight, which has a magnet inside that charges a capacitor and lights up an LED. I bet there are non-led versions out there, but I was using one similar to this last night out in the woods.

shake light (http://www.productsforanywhere.com/gear/details/ee_shakelight.html)

joab
August 14, 2005, 10:40 PM
63Belair
how did it work for you?
Is it worth the money?
A friend told me about these a couple of years ago, but I am very slow to jump into new technology.

Bravo25
August 14, 2005, 11:05 PM
The problem with a BOB is eventually it grows to the size where it is necessary to have a "Bug Out Truck" or even a "Bug Out Motorhome"

I have set my personal weight limit at 50#. Good Pack with the Boy Scout 10 essentials. Add some more food and a good .22 cal rifle. with a brick of ammo. Since I have my 9mm Carry piece at all times with 2 extra mags, it goes too.

Actually you are quite correct. That is why I have the trailer. All of the emergency kits, bags, firstaid, survival, and individual bags for my family are all going in there. I of course have one bag that I carry always that should see us through a 24 to 72 hour period. Or at least long enough to get to the trailer, and get it hooked up.

Vitamin G
August 14, 2005, 11:19 PM
All i pack is ammo. I figure I can just start whacking all the people who made well-prepared bug-out bags ;)

Just kidding :D

I'm in the "Not yet, but I'm making one soon" category. Just paid off all my tuition, and literally have $42 to my name until three fridays from now.

Eghad
August 14, 2005, 11:27 PM
If food ever got shut off they would just wring their hands and watch the squirrels and coons play in the backyard and wonder what to do

have not had a any grilled coon in a while....you made me hungry. :(

when I first moved to this part of Texas all the old timers called armidillos Hoover Hogs......lol

To be honest if the price of meat goes up any more.......I might have to break out the guns :eek:

Rangefinder
August 14, 2005, 11:49 PM
Joab>> Those shake lights are a handy unit, it's the flashlight listed in my inventory. Not a spotlight by any means, but it allows enough light to see by in a pinch---and of course, no batteries to die at just the wrong time. I want to say the LED's have something like a 60,000 hour life, or something rediculous such figure. The one I bought I got in a truckstop for $10. It's waterproof, and practically indestructable. So yah, I'd say it's worth the money. :D

Seattle10
August 15, 2005, 02:32 AM
how about stuff like:

a tent
multi-gas stove
a sleeping bag
maps
the compass that you mentioned

....maybe try staying out in woods for a while. What you do and don't need becomes clear quickly.

Rangefinder
August 15, 2005, 02:50 AM
I tend to think of a tent and bag as just basic camping gear, not survival gear. I can do without them. And a stove? That's lazy-boy camping gear. Not that I don't take a stove camping, I DO like the easy life out in the sticks (fire up the burner, put the coffee on, and scramble some eggs), but I keep my BoB as high-speed/low-drag as I can while trying to cover the essentials. Yes, I could do OK on a whole lot less, and be a lot more comfortable on a whole lot more. But what's the trade-off with either one? What I have now i can grab, sling on my back, and have a good chance where ever I am, coupled with what I normally carry all the time. And that's the thought behind it. If it comes right down to having to use it for what it is intended, I may not have time to do anything else. Every minute beyond what I need to sling a pack and move out is just a bonus.

Seattle10
August 15, 2005, 03:42 AM
Stoves and tents are a regional/elevation thing. If you can't melt snow, you might have trouble getting water. All around it makes things easy... and i am talking about the minimalist backpacking stoves, less then a pound empty.

Maybe I'm just being lazy because my backcountry backpack is already packed. I can't see why I would need anything else to atleast keep myself alive for many days. I wouldn't substitute my tent for a tarp when shtf.

add one more thing to the list:

a pot

Rangefinder
August 15, 2005, 04:13 AM
Seattle10>>I know what you're saying, and not arguing in the least. But I have Aluminium foil, and trioxin tablets that serve the same purpose and take less space where a stove requires bulky fuel bottles by comparison. If there's snow, I can melt it for water the same way, but even more compact. As for tents, the biggest factor I see there is protection from the elements. No matter where you are, there are ways to do that with what's provided for the most part. My tent and bag have a perminent place in the back seat of my truck because I'm known for the spur-of-the-moment camping trips. But my BoB is just that---a bag that I throw over the shoulder and if that's all I have I know I can make it, with what I've packed, with a good chance of survival for an unknown period of time.

A little "game" I played when I was younger was to go camping, then go again purposefully leaving a few things behind to see what I could do with the rest. Little by little I got down to almost nothing and whatever else I brought was almost luxury. From there I figured out what I needed, what I should probably have, what else I could include just for a little extra insurance, and what was just creature-comfort. That's also how I put my BoB together. I think it's a good excercise.

joab
August 15, 2005, 05:40 AM
I have one of those little triox camp stoves. Doesn't get very hot but the fuel can be used as fire starter and the stove can be put in the fire
My mess kit is an individual unit that will fit in the cargo pocket of a pair of BDUs.
I have many first aid kits from shirt pocket sized to truck mounted
Same with flashlights.
Didn't realize that the magnetics were so cheap now
I've already mentioned my tent, weighs about as much as 2 ponchos
Right now all I have are water purification tabs but will look at a decent giardia effective filter.

I used to go to Vietnam every couple of years.
I would allow my uncle in law to use my checked bags to take things to the family so I was restricted to using what I could pack in a small backpack for up to 2 months.
We went to an island with no plumbing or electricity and what I would consider makeshift housing.
While no where near a life threatening situation I used that to hone down what I would used in a real emergency by adding some of the new technology that was not around when I was a kid. Although I didn't realize that I was doing it at the time
Batteries were the most missed when gone and the hardest to keep

buzz_knox
August 15, 2005, 07:26 AM
California may be safer than Tennessee from earthquakes, California has them frequently which may relieve the stresses and prevent the big one, but Tennessee and Missouri, when they go they go big, very big because of the lack of periodic stress relief.

Not only that, but the different geological structures in the region transmit energy better, making bad quakes worse.

63Belair
August 15, 2005, 04:18 PM
joab

for 15 or so dollars, I am very pleased. Usually LED flashlights are more expensive than their conventional counterparts.

It is a bit of a trade off though (but this is for all LED lights)

pro:
Brighter, intense, white light

con:
less range than a conventional bulb flashlight, chew through batteries (not an issue here)

30 seconds of shaking gets a few minnutes (5-6) of light, and you can shake it whenever to charge it some more. There is no need for violent shaking either, simply turning it over and over works fine.

This style flashlight will not become dull with age either, because capacitors dont loose their ability to hold charge, unlike lithium ion batteries.

I highly reccomend this style of flashlight, because it is nice to have something independent of batteries, and it is also nice to have LED lighting, but for camping I would also reccomend carrying a traditional (read: maglite) flashlight for longer distances and knocking people out :D

Topthis
August 15, 2005, 06:06 PM
Hmmm...I think I would add some Strippers, yeah! Blonde, Redheaded or Bald...don't care, just gotta make sure that if it is up to me to re-populate the Earth...my offspring sure ain't gonna look anything like woodland creatures, and of course they also could serve as a sleeping bag warmer upper...oh, and Chocodiles...love those things.

joab
August 15, 2005, 06:18 PM
The local boat supply store has some of these lights I'll have to check them out over the weekend

UltimaThule
August 16, 2005, 12:55 PM
HighValleyRanch Can I order direct, or are there any sources here in the USA? You asked Mikkel about the Jerven Fjellduken poncho-shelter-survival blanket, I didn't see an answer. I just waded through this thread. Good thread, but I can see why he might have lost interest - and I read it after some of the posts were deleted...

Anyway, I hope Mikkel won't mind if I answer the question for him. Jerven only lists Scandinavian retailers on their website.

I suggest you send them an e-mail at [email protected] - just write them in English, they should have no problem understanding you.

I have two of the Jerven bags myself, one unlined and one large, lined one. Now that I have "discovered" them, I would not want to be without one ever again, whether it's for hunting, hiking, military "camping trips", or any kind of survival situation.

HighValleyRanch
August 16, 2005, 06:35 PM
Thanks UltimaThule,
I got your PM as well.
Will send them an email.

At least some "useful" information is coming out of the thread.

Those that are not prepared, can only whine about it when they are hungry, cold and wet!

308Enfield
August 16, 2005, 06:41 PM
I actually have 2, a big one at home and a small one that stays in the car. The big one has clothes, a good camp knife, and a big 3 day survival kit that includes food, water, radio, flashlight, thermal blanket, first aid kit, etc. I also have a weapon ready to pick up and take with me.

The car kit is a smaller one that has a small 3 day survival kit (it was too good a deal to pass up at the gun store) and a big military first aid kit that I've always kept in the car in case I come across an accident. I also always have a coat in the car when the weather is cold.

axslingerW
August 16, 2005, 07:04 PM
I don't have a bag as such,but I always have a first aid kit, blankets and a couple of spare coats for roadside emergencies. After reading this I will probably throw a small bag together. I do live in a tornado prone state, and it would be good to have a 3 day supply of food/water etc.

edited 'cause I can't spell.

Superhornet
August 17, 2005, 08:47 AM
99.9% of all of you are correct.............Any one remember that old scout saying, "Be prepared" ?? Do it. I went through all the latest Florida hurricanes. No power for eight days. Lots of MREs, plenty water, medicine, food, etc.
Have had a BOB since 1949.............also a lighter one for hunting/fishing........also.....one in Iowa, one is South Dakota. Each one set up according to the weather conditions one may encounter......both mild and extreme. Not paranoid, just cautious..............sh

Hard Ball
August 17, 2005, 02:13 PM
It costs you very little to have a good BOB prepared for emergencies. It may cost you a great deal to need one and not have it.

joab
August 17, 2005, 02:21 PM
A Campmor matchcase, full of vasolined cotton balls, Do you really think you'll have time or inclination for that sort of thing while you are trying to survive ;)

Other than all the cold weather gear it matches up with what I would want to carry.
Also waxed dental floss makes a good replacement thread for making gear repairs

joab
August 17, 2005, 03:55 PM
You do know that that was just a bad joke right. :)

I carry dryer lint myself even though there is usually plenty of monkey fuzz around

john in jax
August 18, 2005, 09:54 PM
Hanab
Christmas 1990 - - Blizzard hits N.E. FL. It was really only an ice storm but Jacksonville and the surrounding areas were frozen solid for 3 days. Severe power outages, impassable roads, stores closed . . . If you were at your office far from home, you most likely didn't make it home for three days.

Just 2 or 3 years ago a hurricane was bearing down on Jacksonville and they ordered an evacuation. It was FUBAR. I-10, I-95, I-75 were all jammed up for hundreds of miles. I'm not exagerating some people only got a 50 to 100 miles out of town before getting stuck in the HUGE traffic jam. The few who made to exits soon found that gas stations were out of gas. Hundreds or thousands of people ended up sleeping in their cars that night. Luckily the hurricane turned north so they didn't have to endure a hurricane stuck in the car.

No matter what you call it, emergency supplies just make sense.

joab
August 18, 2005, 10:02 PM
Christmas 1990 - - Blizzard hits N.E. FL. It was really only an ice storm but Jacksonville and the surrounding areas were frozen solid for 3 days. Severe power outages, impassable roads, stores closed . . . If you were at your office far from home, you most likely didn't make it home for three days. I remember that. I had some customers that were stranded in their homes because power was knocked out and the electric gates and garage door openers couldn't open :)

My friend's car broke down and he had to walk 10 miles in the slush and got frost bite in his big toe. Never lived down the joke that only a Pollock could get frostbite in Fla ( we were all Polish in the neighbor hood)

The rich home stranded people could have used a nice MRE package and my friend sure could have used a good pair of boots and some warm car camping gear

Good memories

fisherman66
August 22, 2005, 10:51 PM
superglue

mag worth of ammo for evey caliber I have (extra of some). Who knows which one I will have on me at the time.

can opener

Hot pad for taking things out of a fire

First aid guide (booklet)

keychain rings, garbage bag ties, other attachment/marking devices

hacksaw blade (can't really give a good reason but I'll keep it in there since is is so small)

sunglasses (goggles)/boonie hat

anti-biotics (from Mexico; broad spectrum)

off bug spray and travel toiletries

salt/pepper for the tough trolls (actually to replenish salt)

quinine/ potasium / bunch of other drugs - immodium ect

hatchet - surly someone posted that one and I missed it

painter's cloth (for quartering game and butchering)

fix a flat in the car

pantyhose (so many uses) I like nude :-)

tweezers (cactus around here)

game calls

trail mix

can of corn beef hash (really I needed a can more than the hash)

Things to add:

Epi Pen - who knows, but it's small

Snake bit kit (anybody have anti-venom)

mace

various belts and hoses for the car/ tire plugs

fisherman66
August 22, 2005, 10:58 PM
Spring break '92 New England Blizzard

I was on a school field trip in NY for that whole week. We rolled a giant snowball of the hotel roof onto a cab (I hope the statue of limitations has passed). We flung waterballons out the window at other students with that slingshot thing. We got busted in a seeding little club by the principal who threatened to send us home. Man, the mispent time of "young, dumb, full of ..." all cooped up on the account of a snow storm. Luckly the power grid was not distrubed or we would have needed the BOB in a bad way.

butch50
August 23, 2005, 08:18 AM
Immodium is a superb idea. There is nothing more debilitating than the black water trots, and nothing easier to catch when in survival mode.

Great tip, that goes in the bag today.

News Shooter
August 23, 2005, 09:58 AM
without immodium....

quick story..1985 or so I was in London and happened to be walking through Hyde Park and naturally when I got right in the middle of the park I had an "attack" I was trying to make it back to my hotel and had moved from a quick walk to a trot and was getting desperate. I came upon a chemist and went inside and asked the clerk for some Peptol Bismol. He just laughed and made some comment about us silly Americans and he handed me a pack of these little green capsules. He told me to take one now and by the time I get out of store
the attack will stop. The rest is history. I went back and bought ten boxes to take home with me. I guess the point of this story is that Europe really does get to try a lot of medicines before we do :p

Charles S
August 23, 2005, 11:30 AM
There are some great ideas for BOBs. Mine needs to be revised based upon some of the ideas in this thread.

We all prepare at some level, if it is just checking to see if you have enough gas to get going. The wise just prepare for problems and unexpected contingencies.

Charles

Massan
August 23, 2005, 03:12 PM
Condoms and tampons. Condoms are great for storing water(not to mention the other use...) and tampons are great for getting fires started.

So... what I have in my bag includes...

Wool Blanket
Hand warmers(the ones in the packet where you rub em and they start heating up)
Box of misc first aid stuff(Bandages, wrapping, disenfectent, etc)
Ka-Bar Knife(god I love that knife)
SEAL Pup
SEAL Revolver(This is a great tool, I recommend getting it if you go camping often. http://www.sogknives.com/revolver.htm)
Small hatchet
Sunglasses
Binoculars
Boonie hat
Roll of paper towel
Leatherman
Screwdrivers
Hammer
Box of powerbars
Strike anywhere matches(actually I cant remember what its called)
Box of normal matches
Lighter
Maglite with extra batteries
Compass
Nylon Rope(actually I got it wound up around the bag)
Canteen
Mess kit
12 pack of condoms
Box of tampons
Duct tape(I cant think of a reason right now but my old Scout master said to always bring duct tape)
Whistle
2 Way radio
Garbage bags(large black ones)
30" Widescreen TV with my Xbox(nah I wish. :P )

Well I think thats bout it.

joab
August 23, 2005, 04:50 PM
tampons are great for getting fires started. Make great bandages too

TangoTracker
August 30, 2005, 08:00 AM
I scanned the whole thread but may have missed it.

Map of your state and the US at a minimum. You may also want to include surrounding states.

Also on the tampon and bandage thing, it was mentioned in ways throughout the thread, but I didn't see it totally spelled out..

You can go to the surplus store and get field traige bandage packs, the Israeli ones are very good if you can find them, but they end up being sort of expensive.

For a cheap and highly effective solution.

Maxipads and gauze. An ACE bandage is also an excellent choice. Not so much for wrapping sprains but rather, it will hold maxipads in place like a field dresing, can be used as a tourniquet, or can wrap a sprain. :D

If you dont have gauze, maxipads and duct tape will work, but duct tape isn't all that sterile. But a couple of rolls of it is a great thing to have.

joab
August 30, 2005, 10:22 AM
If you dont have gauze, maxipads and duct tape will work, but duct tape isn't all that sterile. But a couple of rolls of it is a great thing to have.I have taped more than a few field wounds, duct tape is an all purpose tool that should be in every emergency supply kit.

Ace bandages are also for snake bites start wrapping near the pressure point above the bite and work down.

Benadryl should also be packed for bee stings even if you are not allergic.
Heavy exertion will intensify the effect of the venom and you don't need to be slowed down in any emergency

Lucky 7
August 30, 2005, 10:38 AM
This is fun...

Its a 3 day pack btw. Here we go:
MedKit, x 6 Water Bottles, x3 MREs (Ive liked off less for three days!), x5 20 rd mags of 7.62x51 (for shorty FAL), mag pouch, a 7" KaBar (classic style), clothing for a few days, valid credit card, spare keys, chem lights x10 and flashlight w/ 4 spare batteries.

I figure I'll grab the shorty FAL on the way out the door. :rolleyes:

Its been a while since I checked it so I'll rifle thru it later...

Semper Fi!
-L7 out!

joab
August 31, 2005, 12:39 AM
I wonder if that troll kid is watching the news about New Orleans and the state of near anarchy that exist now.

danco
August 31, 2005, 12:57 AM
I wonder if that troll kid is watching the news about New Orleans and the state of near anarchy that exist now.

I was just thinking of him, too...

And what do you know, after all our talk about needing to be self-sufficient, even if only for a few days, the perfect example proves the concept sound.

IIRC, he also criticized the whole "bug-out bag" concept, i.e., a portable container of stuff you could take with you to make life a little more bearable if you were forced to evacuate.

Katrina has gotten me serious about getting my emergency gear up to speed--both supplies to hunker down with, and a streamlined BoB for evacuating. I'll also not let the fuel tank in my 4Runner ever get below 1/2 anymore...

Hurricanes, earthquakes, wild fires, severe winter storms, floods, fuel shortages, stock-market crashes...all are definite possibilities; it doesn't just have to be terrorists...

~Dan

joab
August 31, 2005, 01:29 AM
I'm making up 3 of them now.
One for each vehicle and expanding my stay put provisions to an all year set up instead of just for 'cane season.

I've always just had a grab bag at the house for get out situations

blackmind
August 31, 2005, 01:36 AM
Map of your state and the US at a minimum. You may also want to include surrounding states.

Holy moly! Wow!

For some reason, earlier today, I was thinking about the necessity of having a U.S. road atlas in a bug-out bag, and thinking also that I had not yet seen mention of it in this thread.

So I just got home from work and was about to scan this thread for mention of an atlas, and then I see that you did exactly that! What a weird coincidence.

But yeah, especially with the disaster in the south now, and people streaming into "safer" areas as refugees, it makes great sense to have an atlas so that you can find your way around.

I have a Rand McNally trucker's atlas in the back of my car at all times.

-blackmind

blackmind
August 31, 2005, 01:40 AM
tampons are great for getting fires started.

I was also told by a boy scout that lint from the dryer is great tinder. He said they pack it into film canisters (the kind that your 35mm film comes in).

I also heard somewhere about using cotton balls soaked with petroleum jelly. That seems like a good idea, so I bought myself some of each, though I have not had to use them for anything like survival or emergency fire starting. But it's a good tip. I imagine that a petroleum-jelly-soaked cotton ball will burn for a while.

-blackmind

joab
August 31, 2005, 01:43 AM
I just made a quick read through of the thread it seems almost like somebody was thinking about this storm. Here's one particular bit of genius from a poster :)

My SHTF scenario/beliefs have always centered around a believable natural disaster causing civil unrest and temporary societal dysfunction.

I actually would have never thought of a map, good idea

buzz_knox
August 31, 2005, 08:02 AM

+1. I'm also wondering if those who crave anarchy are watching what is going on.

FirearmFan
August 31, 2005, 09:03 AM
Not to take away from the fun discussion above but I was watching CNN this morning about the flooding and looting in New Orlean's and realized I couldn't help but think of this thread. I'm not saying everyone needs to rush and get a BOB but, if more people had one there things might be a little better for them. Kinda put's things in perspective.

joab
August 31, 2005, 09:04 AM
I'm also wondering if those who crave anarchy are watching what is going on.

They're blaming the government

butch50
August 31, 2005, 07:03 PM
Same here - I was wondering how many of the people who did not evacuate made some minimal provisions for a three week stay without the benefit of running water, electricity or stores being open.

When I lived in Florida I kept 200 gallons of water stored in clean plastic drums, canned foods to last my family for three weeks minimum, sterno for cooking, and lots and lots of plastic bags for use in the toilet. Only needed some of the stuff for a short while after Andrew - but it was on hand all the time.

I don't do that now, living in the middle of Texas - but maybe I should reconsider - if that storm had tracked through Houston and on up through the middle of Texas we could have been without electicity or water for a few days anyway.

jcoiii
September 6, 2005, 12:27 PM
After seeing the social breakdown of a hurricane in one city, I'm quickly stepping up my acquisition and preperation of a BoB. (anyone read The Stand?)

butch50
September 6, 2005, 06:10 PM
After Katrina, I am thinking I need to put in 10 days rations instead of 3.

LoadIt
September 7, 2005, 12:49 PM
I have been camping for quite a while and have one of those big Rubbermade bins that I keep most of my camping supplies in. I always thought if a disaster happened, I could just throw the plastic bin into the back of the truck and get outta Dodge. Boy, am I wrong.

I went camping for the Labor Day holiday with my wife and eight year old son. We packed our four days of clothes and gathered the food on Thursday. So Friday comes along and all I have to do is put the stuff in the truck and we would be on our way. Ten minutes, right? WRONG!!!!!!!! I swear, it took over an hour to load the stuff that we had prepared the night before. :eek:

When I was a kid (I'm 32 now) we would take a bag of clothes, sleeping bag, pup tent, hatchet, lantern, a cooler for sodas and food, and a jug of water. Now there is a huge two room dome tent, air matresses, three coolers, bicycle, and other crap that we don't need. When I started to realize all of the unnecessary B.S. I was loading into the truck, I actually started getting pissed off. :mad: Then I though to myself "what if we really had to get away in a hurry?" :confused: For just about the entire weekend, I kept pointing stuff out to my wife things that we didn't need. So now I'm making up a bag to grab and go.

Here is what I have so far....

medium size backpack with Molle attaching points
first aid kit in waterproof box
quart canteen for water
water purification tablets
4 MRE's
12 Trioxane fuel bars
matches
1 set BDU pants and shirt (lots of pockets)
boonie hat
bandana
300 foot para-cord
roll of toilet paper
hatchet
folding shovel
binoculars
angle head flashlight with colored lenses
Streamlight Stylus LED penlight (green)
6 green chem-lights
compass
M-7 bayonet to use as field knife

I know I need more, but not much more. Maybe a signal mirror, tarp and emergency blanket. I should probably make up a couple of more packs for the rest of the family so we'll have more MRE's and water. Of course a .22 pistol and ammo would be in there. AR-15 and a couple hundred rounds of ammo on bandoliers if on foot, .308 added if we were in the truck.

With the way the state and local governments handled the Katrina situation, I should probably finish this project pretty quick. ;)