PDA

View Full Version : ATF Serial No.

William_IV
August 6, 2005, 08:50 PM
I got a gun with an issued ATF Serial number My friend tells me this makes the gun more collectible. Is this so? :confused:

Hkmp5sd
August 6, 2005, 11:07 PM
Nope.

MicroBalrog
August 7, 2005, 03:42 AM
What is this 'ATF Serial number' thing anyway?

William_IV
August 7, 2005, 11:01 AM
From what i've been told a gun gets a serial # with first 3 letters ATF if it was custom made. If it was made by it's owner with out a serial number it would be legal to own but not legal to sell. To sell the gun to another individual in AZ the gun would need to have a serial number. Thus the gun gets inspected by ATF and issued a number. From then on the gun is sellable however from what i hear it is really hard to get the ATF to assign a number. And therefore wondered if this makes a gun more valueable. :confused:

Hkmp5sd
August 7, 2005, 11:57 AM
What is this 'ATF Serial number' thing anyway?
Sometimes there are homemade guns and/or NFA devices that do not have a serial number that satisfies ATF on a Form 1 or Form 4. So they will assign it a serial number that you then have to put on the item. Being "custom" alone doesn't get the number assigned. It happens when Joe Blow wants to make a SBR out of an 80% receiver and assigns his gun a serial number of 01. Not very distinct.