PDA

View Full Version : what guns for 3 gun

just one question
August 1, 2005, 09:14 AM
I want to join a thing called 3 gun at the range.... they said I need a

pistol
pistol caliber carbine (keep it 9mm )
shot gun (preferably smei auto

I have a pt92 now. But Have a browning hi power coming soon.(which is better)

Please no one dare mention a hi point or kel tec for the carbine

for the shot gun semi auto only

please keep all sugestion 500 $$ and under each.

jem375
August 1, 2005, 10:19 AM
go watch a 3 gun match first and then decide what you need to buy........

Duxman
August 1, 2005, 11:01 AM
PT-92 is fine. I use a Beretta 92. Check the 3GUN rules for the particular place you are joining. You will need 6 magazines or so.

For rifles:

90% of 3 gun shooters use an AR-15. Have not seen one with a pistol carbine yet. Some of the ranges they use would be pushing the limit for a carbine. So depending on range - pick your poison. You will need several 20-30 round magazines: Other common guns: AK47, SKS, Socom M1A. For your price range try the AK47. You will need several magazines.

For shotguns: 80% use remington 1100 with combat mods. But some guys use just regular pump guns. So any shotgun would just about do. The most exotic one I have seen is the SAIGA 12G autoloader with magazine fed capacity.

3 gun is fun. Hope you like it. :D

just one question
August 1, 2005, 11:49 AM
This is an indoor range thats why I need a pistol caliber carbine.

August 1, 2005, 12:23 PM
Keep the 92. Get a Storm and a good pump.

Duxman
August 1, 2005, 12:33 PM
I have a Beretta Storm CX4 - the BEST 9mm carbine ever made. Hyper accurate and reliable. Shares magazines with the Beretta 92 - I do not know if this is interchangable with your taurus. I put a laser and a forward vertical grip on mine and I just love it! Unfortunately they run about $650 or more right now and you just missed the Beretta promo where you got $100 in accessories for free!

I have head good things about the Keltec (although I still think its ugly.) and the Ruger carbines. Both in your price range. You could get a Mec-Tech CCU unit and attach a glock or 1911 to it. Or Olympic arms sells AR-15s in 9mm carbine versions.

Or you could buy a cheap shotgun ($150 in pump), and use the extra saved money to pick up a storm. :D

npcolin
August 1, 2005, 02:02 PM
In that case, I would get a Beretta 92 and the Storm so they share the same magazine. Then a reliable Reminton pump for the shot gun.

HighVelocity
August 1, 2005, 02:12 PM
Keep the 92. Get a Storm and a good pump.

I agree EXCEPT he stated that the shotgun to preferably be an auto. In which case I say Remington 1100. :D

bclark1
August 1, 2005, 02:51 PM
mossberg 835 (a mossberg 500 would suit too if you're on a budget) or remington 870 for shotgun if you want to go pump. i'd still look into the AR, i've never shot a pistol-caliber carbine but there is virtually no (maybe 2-3 lbs of felt recoil?) kick on a .223 AR, i think it's extremely well suited for what you'll be doing. can you not find an outdoor range anywhere? because i'd imagine indoor 3-gun matches will be few and far between... i've never shot competetively so take my advice with a grain of salt, but just because i can't shoot the big stuff all the time doesn't mean i'd avoid it. also the indoor ranges i've been to don't let you use shotguns - some allow slugs but i understand small-size shot is more typically used with 3-gun. i could be wrong.