PDA

View Full Version : Ithaca Gun Company Model 37 12ga....

dave_in_delaware
July 28, 2005, 03:21 PM
Hello everyone. I inherited an Ithaca Gun Company, Model 37, 12 gauge shotgun from my grandfather and was wondering about it. I'm totally new to guns, so I have no idea about this gun. Didn't the company go out of business recently? I had emailed them a few months ago asking about the gun, getting a manual for it, and data they had on it... and all they wanted me to do with the gun was send it to them so they could check it out. Good thing I didn't; they probably would have kept it for their own as they went out of business! Anyway, does anyone here have this gun? Do you like it? Is it something I should keep and get some test-firing at the range on it? I don't hunt, nor do I plan on hunting. I do shoot my handgun at the range, but I'm not sure if a shotgun is something I want/need to keep at home. Any suggestions or thoughts on this? (Other than making an offer for it, although that may be an answer in the future). Thanks.

Dfariswheel
July 28, 2005, 07:52 PM
Ithaca did fold a few weeks ago, but they did NOT "keep for their own" anybodies guns. ALL guns are being returned to their owners.

The Ithaca Model 37 is a keeper.
It was the last gun designed by the great John Browning, and was the last of the old time, solid milled steel shotguns, still being made.

The Ithaca is an excellent shotgun, and served the sportsman, military, and police for many years.

The Ithaca was famous for being the shotgun issued by the LAPD for many years, and was the issue gun of the Navy SEAL's during Vietnam.

These are excellent guns, and you might want to hang on to it, even if you have no need today.
Some day you'll want a good shotgun and will wish you had it back.

gordo b.
July 28, 2005, 08:11 PM
Agree with they above-completely. Nothing like a featherlight 16 or 20 for certain bird shooting IMHO ! :)

dogfood
July 28, 2005, 08:43 PM
d_in_d:

Three rules come to mind:

1) Never get rid of a firearm that you inherited from a Grandfather.

2) Never get rid of your last shotgun.

3) If you're down to your last shotgun, make sure it's a good (i.e. dependable) one.

OK, so all three apply to you. I had not heard about Ithaca's demise, but this is not the first time, so it is no big surprise. The Model 37 is a sturdy, reliable shotgun. I picked up one well-used a few years back from a coworker ... cleaned it up ... and no, it's not for sale. You may not ever "need" a shotgun, but the one you have will most likely fill any need that comes up. Keep it ... or you will regret it later.

dogfood

dave_in_delaware
July 29, 2005, 12:47 PM
Thank you everyone for those solid opinions. I will be keeping it. It sounds like an awesome gun. I was just curious what other owners thought about it. Perhaps some day I will test it out. It was my grandfather's gun, so that makes it even more special to me. I was happy to inherit it. I just didn't know if it was a keeper, or if it was a "lesser" quality since the company went out of business. Thanks again for those honest opinions.

mac762
July 29, 2005, 03:55 PM
I owned one of the parkerized riot versions with the longer mag tube and the 20" cylinder bore barrel. Any model 37 is a keeper I love the short stroke and the light weight of the 37, and the bottom eject. I also had one of the chinese copies and they're sweet too. A beautiful gun.
Oh yeah I almost forgot never and I mean never get rid of a gun you inherit, and a shotgun is important to have on hand. You can even buy an extra barrel for HD.

unclestu
July 29, 2005, 04:38 PM
Keep it, if you let it go you'll regret it! The Ithaca 37 was based on the Model 17 Remington, which was designed by John Browning- I believe as a 20 ga fronm the ground up. I've always thought of an Ithaca pump gun as being right up there with the good & great ones. I still have my Dad's old Model 17 Remington, it was always his favorite gun. With the 32" solid-ribbed barrel on it, he used to call it his "20-ga fly rod". :D

dgludwig
July 30, 2005, 11:20 PM
QUOTE: Never get rid of your last shotgun.

I would add, never get rid of your first shotgun. I did. It was a wonderful Ithaca 37 in 16 ga. I've always regretted the loss of that fine , old gun.

Kivaari
August 8, 2005, 05:37 PM
I concur; great shotgun. I've a 16 guage.

You can swap barrels if its after serial number approx. 855,000; if it belonged to your grandfather then its likely earlier than that. The earlier ones had 55 degree threads and fitted at the factory. Later ones were 60 degree threads and designed to "swap". A good machinist could chase the 55 degree threads and headspacing may or may not be an issue but would need to be checked.

The reason it's so light is that each of Browning's subsequent repeating shotgun designs were purposely designed to have fewer and fewer parts.