PDA

View Full Version : choke tube question

cplane
July 2, 2005, 09:26 AM
I just picked up a 1300 winchester pump turkey special. I has the 20 inch barrel and extra full screw in choke. I am going to buy an improved cyl. choke to use with buck shot, But I was wondering if it would damage the gun to shoot buck shot with the extra full turkey choke? I wasn't going to take the chance, But I was curious about it. Thanks!

sm
July 2, 2005, 09:56 AM
http://www.winchesterguns.com/faq/detail.asp?ID=27

Extra full is NOT recommended for buckshot. Less constriction is needed.One is suggested to use ~ 30 thousands for buckshot or slugs . Using the search function we have threads on this. Also websites for Briley, Nu-Line, Carlson, and Colonial discuss this as well. Brister's book is wxcellent for explaining chokes and loads.

Pattern testing YOUR gun with various loads at the longest distance + one yard is the suggested rule of thumb. Makes no matter what a bbl, choke or box of ammo "says" - what does YOUR gun actually do is what matters.

HTH

HSMITH
July 2, 2005, 01:50 PM
You will damage the choke and probably ruin the barrel shooting buckshot through a turkey choke.

Good choke tubes are around $20 each, spend the money.

cplane
July 2, 2005, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the replies. I went out today and visited several shops in my area to try and locate an improved cyl. choke tube. Everybody had the Mossbergs and Remingtons, But no Winchesters. I finally found one shop that had a modified browning choke that fit my winchester. I also bought some of the Aquilla short shells to try in it. I also ordered an extended 8rd. mag tube and bracket for it. I hope I am good to go now! I am only going to use it for plinking and Home defense. Thanks again for the info!

RoyG
July 2, 2005, 08:49 PM
A Win 1300 uses winchokes. So you can use chokes for the Browning Invector, Mossberg or Winchester in your 1300. You could of stopped with the Mossberg chokes.

RoyG
July 2, 2005, 08:52 PM
FYI

Carlson's Choke Tubes (http://www.choketube.com/wbmw.html)

cplane
July 3, 2005, 10:01 AM
Hmmm.... Thats really good info! It's bad enough that I didn't know this, But it's even worse that the gun experts at the shops didn't know either! Well, I guess I know now! By the way, The Aqullia shorty shells fed and functioned fine in my Winchester. They were not as hot as a 3"magnum shell, But I think they would be a perfect HD round.I can't wait to recive the Mag extension tube! I should be able to load up about 14 to 16 rd's of the aquilla shorty shells in my shotgun. I had the #4B+1B shells. According to the sales guy, This shell is a mixture of #4 buckshot with +1 Buckshot. he said the british used this mixture with devastating results, In the WW1 trenches.