PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning

Diggers
June 11, 2005, 02:10 AM
what products or complete kits do you recomend for cleaning an o/u?

Romulus
June 11, 2005, 02:28 AM
No different from what you'd use for a single barrelled shotgun...you just have to go at it twice. A good rod and brush, bore cleaner (Hoppe's, naturally ;) ) gun oil, and mucho patches.

cosmolinelover
June 11, 2005, 02:30 AM
I love the smell of Hoppe's... it reminds me of when I was a kid

K80Geoff
June 11, 2005, 03:35 AM
A good quality rod, brass brush, patch Jag, lots of patches, Hoppes #9, oil, hinge grease, rags, dental picks to get in tight places, plastic bristle cleaning brushes. And a Tikka tool for use at the range, or one of those pull thru bore cleaners for use immediately after shooting.

sm
June 11, 2005, 06:18 PM
You guy's really clean these things huh? :D

Don't take my advice, I'm the guy that used the high pressure wand at the car wash to get the mud out of 870 bbl.

Go ahead and laugh if ya wanna? Ever tried it? Didn't think so. Yes it works. :)

HSMITH
June 11, 2005, 08:45 PM
A rod, a bore mop, a rag, a tub of Rig +P grease, a can of CLP, a can of Chlorinated brake cleaner, and a can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

Take the forend off, set well away, spray out the bores with the chlorinated brake cleaner. It EATS the plastic fouling out, run the mop through with a little CLP on it. Wipe down the barrels with the rag and a little CLP. Spray out the reciever with the non-clor brake cleaner, wipe out with rag and CLP. Apply a little Rig grease to the hinge pins and ejector cams, put a little Rig on the hinge pin and ejector mating surfaces on the barrels. Re-assemble and it is done. 5 minutes tops. Do this every thousand rounds whether the gun needs it or not, and every time the gun gets wet.

DO NOT use the chlorinated brake cleaner anywhere near the wood parts or any plastics, it will damage the finish.

Dog Confetti
June 12, 2005, 04:15 PM
That's what I'm screaming SM...water works like a charm, but I hear it's gotta be hot so it evaporates quickly. I do it anyway, and since I live in a desert my idiocy hasn't caught up with me yet...

johnbt
June 13, 2005, 07:10 AM
"Ever tried it?"

No, but only because there wasn't a car wash around. I have used a hose to get the mud and ice and feathers out of an 1100 (not mine :) ) that spent too long in the bottom of the boat.

John

K80Geoff
June 13, 2005, 07:33 AM
Speaking of water...
I read somewhere, or maybe it was on TV. That a certain well known hollywood figure who shoots mucho expensive Italian O/U's often just pours water down the barrels when they are still hot from shooting!

Water in a $60,000 + Fabbri!!! :eek:

sm
June 13, 2005, 08:06 AM
Tip # 37

Make sure the 9 y/o grabs the can of compressed air to blow out the seeds from the action while out upland hunting.

That damn air horn is a bit of a surprise! I wish I had been the one that spilled coffee, I instead was the idiot trying to "water a tree". Then I had to contend with all them blackbirds leaving said tree.

My boots got "cleaned", I just went back out and used a dirty shotgun. :D

Skeetin'870
June 15, 2005, 09:49 PM
I have found that all I need is a good brush some oil a bore snake and some hoppes #9