PDA

View Full Version : S&W model 65 for $179 in Shotgun News

Correia
July 31, 1999, 07:23 PM

Correia
July 31, 1999, 07:28 PM
In the shotgun news there is an ad for a stainless S&W .357 model 65 in very good condition for $179.99. I have never ordered a used gun before, and I'm curious, just how good is very good. Is the $10 extra for hand select worth it? Does hand picked mean that I get the top one on the pile? The company is Hoplite. I'm just curious as to what to expect, because that seems like a really good price.
Sorry about the empty post on top, I hit return instead of tab. Thanks

Willy
July 31, 1999, 07:55 PM
I might be mistaken, but I thought the Model 65 was blued and the Model 66 was the same gun in stainless. I'm positive my 66 is stainless. :) Can anyone clear this up for me?

Anyway, NRA "Very Good" is supposed to be "in perfect working condition, no appreciable wear on working surfaces, no corrosion or pitting, only minor surface dents or scratches." Hand picked means they will pick you out on of the better ones they have. I have never dealt with Hoplite. Doesn't seem like a very risky deal, but caveat emptor (sp?).

fubsy
July 31, 1999, 08:19 PM
the model 66 is a stainless steel K frame 357, with adjustable sights....
the model 65 is a s/s K frame 357 with fixed sights.....
the model 19 is a blued K frame 357, and for the life of me I cant remember if the 19 designation stood for both fixed and adjustable sights although I think that might be correct ...somebody help me out with that point.....
btw, mdl 65's are sleeper's........imo....
an come to think of it I cant remember what the 38spl's were called maybe model 64's?.....fubsy.

burrhead
July 31, 1999, 09:21 PM
The model 65 is a stainless model 13. I've had one for 10+ years and like it very much. Model 19s have adjustable sites. Model 64 is a stainless model 10. Very nice model 65s in the Houston area go for about $200.

Sid Post
August 1, 1999, 11:59 AM
Hand Select will get a pistol that has less surface wear (a pretty gun in essence). This will be a casual inspection for a pistol that has less holster wear, nicks, scraps, etc.

This will not get you a better gun "mechanically" since it is a visual inspection. However, I tend to think a gun that is "pretty" on the outside is probably better on the inside (mechanically).

Sid
---
Tx FFL

Kframe
August 5, 1999, 05:11 PM
I don't think I would pay for the "hand select" gun. First, I doubt that will get you a better gun, mechanically. Most of the M65's in Gunlist and Shotgun News are police trade-ins. Translation: Carried much, shot little. Second, I have access to a bead-blaster and buffing wheels, so I have the option of changing the appearance on my own. However, I like my guns to look good, so if I couldn't alter the look on my own, then yes I would shell out ten bucks for a nicer looking one. I would not hesitate in dealing with this company. Just make sure your payment is in the form of a postal money order. That way, you have a receipt and if they try to screw you they'll also be in trouble with the US Postal Service. I would not use my credit card. Yes, it may accelerate the deal a couple days, but if they are really crooks they have your card number and can do with it what they want. Also, many mail-order businesses have a three-day "inspection period." If you decide you don't like the gun, you can return it in the same condition, within three days, for a refund minus shipping charges. You may want to ask if this is an option in your case. -Kframe

Stopdropnroll
August 9, 1999, 06:09 AM
respectfully...

A postal money order gives you no more or less options thatn does any other money order or personal check.

Visa has the opportunity to withdraw funds from offending parties and credit you when deals go bad.

I have one visa card that is used for internet transactions only and is scrutinized regularly....

SDnR