PDA

View Full Version : What does everyone hunt with and where r u from?

dw
February 1, 2000, 01:49 PM
Hey guys just trying to get to know the guys who come in here the most. I am from Warsaw, Indiana. I hunt deer with everything allowed but crossbow.
How did everyone do this year? I had a pretty good year. I go to school in Warsaw and hunt in Bourbon, IN so i don't get alot of time to go out which is very aggravating. However, I did get out opening weekend this year and as it turns out that is all i needed to get a shot at this ten pointer. It is a long story and consists of some luck and some hunting but most importantly a good clean kill!!! WEll guys can't wait to here from you. here is a pic of my buck if you want to see it. thanks derek
http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Locker/4318/pics/Tmp2.jpg

LoneStar
February 1, 2000, 02:36 PM
Nice Bucks!

Well, I'm from Houston, Texas. I hunt near Brady, Texas, which is almost dead center of the state (and about 6 hours away :(). I hunt deer with an old .270 that I just love. For varmints, and turkey, I use a 22-250, or a shotgun for spring turkeys. Also Dove hunt whenever possible.

This past season was pretty good, if not a little hot & dry. I got a pretty good 9 point buck, a freaky little 6 point cull buck, two does, and two tom turkeys. One of the Tturkeys had 6 beards, the longest of which was 11 inches. The season before last, I missed that freaky little 6 point, and about 5 minutes later my biggest buck yet, a 9 point, stepped out. That was my last day of the season. This year, on my last day of the season, I caught back up with the freak, and the rest is venison ;).

Dr.Rob
February 1, 2000, 02:59 PM
I live in Denver, Colorado.

have hunted Grouse, pheasant,Turkey, rabbits, squirrels, prarie dogs, coyotes, antelope, deer, elk, and have even followed a lion and bear track or two for kicks. All here in the centennial state.

i usually hunt with a Remington 12 ga. pump gun (for birds) or a savage 30-06 with tasco 3-9 scope, all in stainless with a plastic stock (I like 3rd season when its snowing)

Have also tried black powder season for deer and elk, using a 54 cal hawken with a 425 grain minie ball. i've been threatening to take my blackpowder shotgun after upland birds this year.. and I just might.

Never have hunted with a cross bow but it's legal here (during rifle season) but i have hunted with a handgun.

Dr.Rob

Thibault
February 1, 2000, 04:16 PM
I'm from James Bay territory
Northern Québec...
So, no deer, no varmint but for foxes and wolves, which we can't hunt, lotsa black bear, which we can't hunt either, but... Ta Da! Moose in fall (3 week season, 2 tags per moose), caribou in winter (2 caribou per licence, thru draw or outfitter), spruce grouse, ptarmigan (kind of polar grouse) in winter, black ducks, green-winged teals, mergansers and ... I can't remember the damn name :(...
For anything over 100 pounds, 165-180 gr shot out of the ugliest 30-06 this side of the atlantic, below that, featherweight 20g single, ruger 10/22 mannlichter stock, 12g SxS.
Hang in there!

SnakeLover
February 1, 2000, 10:14 PM
I live in the NE corner of Illinois but usually hunt out of state. In the past 18 years, I've hunted deer, elk, bear, sheep, moose, antelope, coyotes, fox, gophers, geese, pheasants, partridge and several other critters. I was blessed growing up in South Dakota to be part of a family that believed in hunting and allowed me the opportunity to explore and get out. My dad and brother have been and will forever be, my favorite hunting partners.

This past fall the three of us fulfilled a lifelong dream and went to Africa to hunt. In nine days of hunting, we saw incredible amounts of game and took our fair share. Dad and I took 8 animals each while my brother was very fortunate to take 11 different species. Each day was awesome and I had a blast and can't wait to go back, though next time I will take my wife instead!

I use a .338 A-Bolt for all my big game hunting, shooting 230 grain failsafe. For my bird hunting, I shoot an old Win Mod 101 in 12 guage. For predators, I'll use one of my Featherweights, either my 30.06 with Accelerator bullets or .257 Roberts with the Hornady Light Mags. Varmits get one of the Diamondbacks. I've also been fortunate to take antelope with my bow and arrow.

Best of luck in all your future hunting trips.

Brad

Art Eatman
February 1, 2000, 11:52 PM
I've hunted mostly in CenTex and in the desert area northwest of Big Bend National Park in Texas.

Deer hunting has been mostly with .30-'06 and some with a .243; varmints with those and a .223, .22-250 and .220 Swift, over the years. Even a 110-grain '06 is sort of an insult to a poor ol' coyote, much less a jackrabbit...

Bird hunting has been mostly with a beat up old Model 12 in 12-gauge.

Been getting lazy the last few years; been feeding and watering critters, more than shooting them...

:-), Art

sjones
February 2, 2000, 05:31 PM
I also hunt in texas and live in the Houston area. This past year all I got was one doe at about 35 yards. I hunt with a 45 colt ruger bisley with 7 1/2 inch barrel with iron sights,but i'm thinking about adding a red dot or scope for more range. Oh well, theres always next year. As anyone from Texas knows, it is very expensive to hunt here. there is not much public land,its all private and leased out. the public land they do have sounds like ww3. You could get shot real easy.

bergie
February 2, 2000, 08:40 PM
I'm from Nebraska. Pheasants, quail, Hungarian partridge, prairie chickens, grouse, ducks, geese, and turkeys with my 12 gauge. Pheasant hunting has really been good for a long time now, but has gotten a little tougher as land came out of the CRP. This year I only used just over 1 box of shells all season, but got 19 roosters.
Deer, we have both whitetails and muleys in the area that I hunt with my Savage .270 (got a nice 5x6 whitetail this year). Also hunt them with a .50 caliber muzzleloader, and have taken a couple with handguns.
Have done a couple of elk hunts in CO, and WY, hope to be going back to WY this year, have to wait for the draw.
Coyotes with whatever I have handy, either my .270, or my .223, have also rolled a few with my 12 when I walk up on one pheasant huntin.
I shoot a few rabbits and squirrels with my .22.
Bergie

dZ
February 2, 2000, 10:10 PM
i hunt central PA for whitetail with a Ruger M77II in 30-06

i was raised on ringneck hunting with britney spaniels

i live in MD and don't have much contact with huntable land
i'm an izzac walton member and hope to meet someone who hunts around here

in MD you can rifle hunt some areas with a semi

i have a .308 Vepr that needs to meet a deer

dZ

ckurts
February 3, 2000, 01:21 PM
I live outside of Houston, hunt in Edwards County between Sonora and Del Rio, and just began participating in a lease in Polk County.

I hunt with a .25-06 or .243 for west Texas deer and feral pigs, and a 12 gauge pump for turkey.

Occasionally I hunt squirrels/rabbits in Kentucky with family. I use a Ruger 10-22 when I feel confident, 12 gauge double or single shot when not.

I'm going to start handgun hunting eventually, hopefully this next deer season; I'll use a S&W 629.

Long Path
February 4, 2000, 01:44 AM
N. Texas, where I hunt, it's dove and quail and the odd wild hog. (12ga. 1100 and whatever rifle's handy for hog.)

In S. Central TX, where I deer hunt, it's usually whitetail with a .257 Rbts, but sometimes with '06 and even .300 Win Mag (overkill to the Nth degree...). Some javelina by pistol.

Ankeny
February 4, 2000, 11:51 PM
I live in Shoshoni, Wyoming (right in the middle of the state). I hunt primarily with a bow, but I used to hunt with a handgun. I also have used black powder in traditional front stuffers.

I shoot doves, pheasants, huns, chuckars and grouse with a Merkel. Ducks and geese with a Benelli.

Coyotes, fox, jack rabbits and prarie dogs are taken with a 22-250 or my 250-300 Ackley Improved.

In big game I hunt proghorn mule deer, white tail deer and elk every year. Moose, sheep and goat once in a blue moon. If I don't use a bow I use a 30-338. I am really fortunate to live in such a place.

mongrel66
February 6, 2000, 09:42 AM
hey dZ...i'm from baltimore originally...i live in minnesota now (dont ask, its a long story)..but you should try out in western md around garret co for deer...there used to be huntable ag land in harford co. but i'm sure thats all developed by now...lots of corn..lots of deer

Stephen A. Camp
February 8, 2000, 07:34 PM
Hello all. My usual deer rifle for whitetails is either a BRNO or MkX in .30-06 loaded with 165 gr handloads. For varmints, either a CZ527 in .223 or a Thompson Center custom carbine in .222, or a Remington 700 Varminter in 6mm. For elk, I like my Browning A-bolt in .338 Win Mag and for dangerous game, either my BRNO .375H&H or Winchester "classic" M70 in .416 Remington. I often hunt small critters with either a Browning HP or SIG P210 in 9mm (handloaded) or .44 Spec or .45ACP. Best.

cjb
February 10, 2000, 01:23 PM
I live in south-central Pa. I have a rifle, shotgun, and handgun for just about any situation, but I would have to say a .308 is hard to beat! Also a 12ga. shotgun and a .44 mag revolver. Pick the brands you like best.As long as they are of high quality, you won't have a problem! Since you are a young hunter you might want to check out TED NUGENT'S websites. What could be better than guns and rock-n-roll from the WHACKMASTER?
CALVIN
" I'M THE NRA! "

Fourdiamonds
February 11, 2000, 12:15 AM
From Kali, the gestapo state. Not for long though!!!! Fanatic Elk hunter. Last Bull was a medium 5 point. Had to quarter him and pack him out. GREAT! Last hunting season I got skunked, still the greatest hunt ever!!!
Use a Browning Stainless Stalker in 7 Mag. Scope is Burris 3x9. Will spend lots on even better scopes. Would go in a wheel chair if I had to. Would crawl if I had to!!!!

------------------
From my cold dead hands.

TABING
February 11, 2000, 04:27 AM
In southern Arizona,dove, quail, with Parker Double in 12 gauge, Desert Muledeer with Ruger #1 in 30.06, Javelina with Ruger #3 in 45-70. Jackrabbits, and coyotes with whatevers loaded with varmint rounds, .223 Winchester mdl 70 lightweight or Ruger #3.

BMiracle
February 12, 2000, 11:17 PM
Hey you Texas guys. The military just moved me to Wichita Falls and I am looking for some areas to go varminting and whitetail hunting. Any suggestions? I posted a new topic in this forum before I read this. Please forward any suggestions.

dw
February 17, 2000, 11:20 PM
Hey guys great to see where all u guys r from. If anyone wants to here or share some hunting stories just e-mail me. well see ya later
derek

Long Path
February 18, 2000, 08:41 PM
BMiracle: One of the biggest whitetails I ever saw was just a county or two east of you, in Clay County, up toward the Red River. I ended up shooting his little brother at 300 yards. He went about 170 lbs. A year later, I took a buck that went right at about 200 lbs. The large ones get much larger than that on the Red River.

Try to find a farmer who'll cut you a deal on a lease. It's pricey, but the hunting is great. Good dove and quail hunting, too, if you get a year-round lease.

[This message has been edited by Long Path (edited February 18, 2000).]