PDA

View Full Version : Barrel bulge

Bill Siegle
January 18, 2005, 08:44 PM
OK so I get a little excited over a great deal on a Ruger SS 30-06. I buy the gun get it home and clean off the homemade "sniper" paint and CRAP! It has a bulged barrel near the muzzle :( It is slight but it is there. What should I d since returning it isn't possible. Anyone know if Ruger would look at it? Or should I get it trimmed off? Here is a crappy pic that gives an idea what I am talking about.

Handy
January 18, 2005, 08:48 PM
I'd certainly give Ruger a call. They might have some concerns about the overall strength of the barrel after that and volunteer to replace it.

But if they aren't too helpful I can't see what's wrong with a cut and crown.

mete
January 18, 2005, 10:27 PM
First see if it's accurate , if so leave it alone. See if you can detect any other damage first like cracks.Otherwise cut and crown or replace the barrel.

Bill Siegle
January 18, 2005, 10:35 PM
Nope no cracks or anything like that. I went over the outside with a jewler's loupe. Nothing showing as far as I can see inside either.

bill k
January 18, 2005, 10:39 PM
Maybe take it to a gunsmith for an evaluation?

impact
January 18, 2005, 11:16 PM
when you run a brush through the barrel can you fell the bulge in the bore? How long is the barrel?

Dfariswheel
January 19, 2005, 12:34 AM
Ruger has somewhat of a history of replacing bulged barrels for free.

I can't guarantee they won't charge you, but your revolver is unsafe and useless as-is.

Send it in. Even if you have to pay, Ruger doesn't charge nearly as much as other manufactures for replacement parts, AND they will do a full check-up on your gun.

I know of many cases of Ruger returning non-warranty guns with new barrels, re-blues and other parts replacement, in which they charged nothing, or just charged for the barrel.

Again, no guarantee's, but at least your gun will be usable.

Jim Watson
January 19, 2005, 11:50 AM
I bought one of those bargain rifles with a bulged barrel. Should have asked myself why he didn't clean it before putting it up for sale. The fouling masked the ring.

The bulge was near the muzzle so accuracy was nonexistent, but I could have it cut and crowned to get back to straight metal. Accuracy improved but not up to what I needed (out of a bolt action .223) so I had the barrel replaced, $135 from Remington at the time.

As said above, Ruger has a good reputation. They will surely sell you a new barrel and might give you one.

Bill Siegle
January 20, 2005, 11:53 PM
Well after checking with Ruger and a few local gunsmiths, I decided to just get the barrel chopped by an inch or so. Ruger quoted me $170 for a barrel,$50 to finish the barrel,$30 to install,and $12 return shipping. Way too much. A local smith said shoot it and if it's not accurate then chop. Time is too expensive so I am going to just get it chopped and not worry about it any longer :) Thanks for all the advise guys :D

impact
January 21, 2005, 10:31 PM
I was thinking you could chop it down to 20 inch and make it look like a police sniper gun :)

Doerdie
January 22, 2005, 06:35 PM
but your revolver is unsafe and useless as-is
A 30-06 :D ? I'll buy it!
(sorry, couldn't resist)

James K
January 24, 2005, 11:48 PM
Dfariswheel, you made my day! I thought I was the only one who put the fingers in motion before engaging the eyeballs.

Jim