PDA

View Full Version : Target Ammo for My new SIG P220 ST?

azsilver
November 26, 2004, 10:15 PM
I would like to shoot Target ammo with my SIG P220 ST.

What type of factory ammunition is available? I am not reloading yet but collecting brass to start sometime in the future.

I would like to try the SIG 16 lb recoil spring rather than the Stock 20 lb spring which came with the gun.

Thanks for the help!

WillBrayjr
November 26, 2004, 10:22 PM
I like the Speer Lawman, which I've had nothing but good luck with! Federal American Eagle ammo is excellent too.

azsilver
November 26, 2004, 11:31 PM
What about the Federal Premium Gold Medal Match Ammunition 45 ACP 185 Grain Full Metal Jacket Semi-Wadcutter Box of 50?

Has anyone used this ammo or anything similar?

Jim Watson
November 27, 2004, 07:24 AM
Federal Match is wonderfully accurate and light in recoil, that 185 gr SWC is only going about 750 fps, PF 138, just right for SSP. More expensive than econo-ball, though.

BUT, my first P220 would not work with SWCs of any sort, factory or handload. I have seen others the same. I don't ask the present gun to try, not wanting to risk losing confidence in its reliability, which is 100% with factory magazines and any RN, TC, or HP load I have yet tried. On the other hand, you can read of many that do just fine with SWCs.
Nothing you can do but SHOOT SOME and find out.

There are some 185 grain flatpoints being sold cheaply at the Marts, they might be worth checking out.

John Ringo
December 5, 2004, 02:59 AM
I use the Federal 230 gr FMJs. I get it for $8.99 per box.

Don't bother reloading .45 ACP. The ammo is cheap enough that between the cost of the equipment and the time that you are going to have to devote to doing it you might be at a loss. You can goto just about any local gun show and get 1000 rounds for about $150 to $160. On top of the cost, you may reconsider after you see how long it will take you to reload 1000 rounds with moderately priced home equipment:-) Plus, the ammo might not be very reliable after you do reload it. Many people start out their handgun journey reloading, but they soon find that it is more trouble than it is worth.

Regarding the spring. I would leave the stock spring in the P220 alone. There would be no reason to go with an aftermarket spring on a P220 that I could possibly forsee. What you may find is that the action has problems clearing the fired shell when the gun gets hot & dirty because you have altered the tension of the spring. Out of the box, the P220 is going to be optimized for 90% of the shooting public, unless of course you are a very experienced bull's eye shooter like Ernie Langdon who competes with a modified P220 called the LT (Langdon Tactical). However, if you read the specs on Ernie's modified P220 you will find that he did more to it than replacing a spring. He also milled out the action so it was lighter.

My advice: Just enjoy your P220 as it is and spend the extra money on the ammo and a good holster. Possibly add some night sights and invest in a few extra 8-round clips.

azsilver
December 6, 2004, 09:47 PM
I contacted the Sig Custom Shop about having Action work and a short trigger put on My SIG P220 ST rail with Siglight night sites

They told me I could try using a lighter SIG recoil spring on my SIG P220 ST if I was planning on shooting something like the Federal 185 grain semi- wadcutter FMJ.

That is why I am interested in hearing from other SIG P220 ST shooters about the experience they have had with the Federal Gold 185 grain semi-wadcutter FMJ and other similar .45 ACP ammunition.

John Ringo
December 7, 2004, 05:40 PM
AZ,

I will assume that you are an experienced shooter who has had a few year of range-time if you just bought a P220 and are already attempting to modify it and push 185gr ammo through it. For a handgun newbie all of this would be a vast waste of money and effort.

Here is my ammo feedback:

The 185gr is good stuff, but it's some expensive ammo at $25 per box. Personally I don't use the stuff because the P220 is NOT a bull's eye handgun like a 1911 (Wilson Combat, Mateba, or Kimber Match). The P220 does not come with a "Match Grade" barrel or competition sights. Therefore Federal 185gr would probably be a huge waste of money. At least for me.

The best ammo that I have used is the Federal 230gr FMJ. I have been using this stuff for over a year now without one jam, misfire, or hangfire. The stuff is clean, pretty accurate, and most of all $9 per box.

I can typically put 8 shots with my P220 within 2 to 3 inches at 50-feet using the cheap stuff. At 75-feet I can group within at 5 inches. But this was after a lot of practice. This is also done from a standing position unsupported. Might sound easy....but it's not:-)

I would say...if you have the cash then get the 185gr. You really can't go wrong with the stuff. It's good ammo.

Good luck.