PDA

View Full Version : New (old) 870 Wingmaster (pic and questions)

Poplin
October 26, 2002, 01:05 AM
Friends:

So, after a few years of shooting mostly pistols and rifles, I got my first shotgun. It was off gunbroker.com, and it was just what I was looking for: An older Wingmaster police trade-in. It looks to be in great shape, having been loaded/unloaded alot but not fired much. The action is smooth as glass. The polished blue finish is dark and thick, with wear only on the moving parts. I would say this is a much better buy than one of the new Express models.

I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet. I need to find a place in my locale to do that and build up the skills.

One question for you all: Which magazine extension? I've looked through the old threads and the "Vangcomp vs Choate vs Tac-Star vs Wilson vs Mystery Plastic" debate is as yet unresolved. Specifically, I am interesting in an extension that would match the smooth blued finish. I'm also interested in a product that has the machined dimples to mate with the detent on the barrel guide ring. I hear that some recent Remingtons are missing that clever detent, and I can see magazine extension manufacturers skipping the same step.

I know I should shoot up a few cases of ammo before starting to fiddle with the gun, but a magazine extension is something I will get for sure not only for added capacity but also for balance. Besides, a mag extension looks "right" on a short barreled shotgun.

The serial number is W027xxxV. There are no agency markings except what's on the stock. Anyone have any idea about the date of manufacture or who once owned it?

By the way, this gun's twin is still on sale on gunbroker.

Poplin
October 26, 2002, 01:13 AM
http://www.platoscave.com/~simon/870_2.jpg

Skullboy
October 26, 2002, 01:22 AM
Poplin, I am using the Remington extended mag on my Rem870 Police Magnum.I have had no problems with it.Mine has the machined dimples and detent on the barrel ring guide.I went with this one because I got a good deal on it, and it was parkerized to match my finish. I think you are going to pay more for the Vancomp/Wilson extensions because of the names.I would check out the Choate extensions. HTH. Skullboy.

Dave McC
October 26, 2002, 06:43 AM
Poplin, you've got a great shotgun there. Remington marked their bbls, not receivers with date stamps.Those stamps are ambiguous and oft contradictory. Since many used 870s have bbls other than original(Like 3 of my 5) dating an 870 is chancy.

Suffice it to say that your's is pre 90s, and an excellent weapon, well made and superbly designed. Heck,you've even got pretty wood,and it looks like walnut. How're your stock refinishing skills?

And yes, it's a better buy than an Express, at least IMO.

As for mods and addons, I'm of the shoot it first school, but here's the things I'd do with a new 870, in this order.

Get the stock fitting me.

Get the trigger cleaned up to under 4 lbs. Lots of 870s are like this from Day One.

Make sure the sights worked for me and the mission.

Since "Serious" use seems to be that mission, adding a two shot extension will up the capacity AND add a bit of weight to improve handling. One of mine has a Choate, one has a Remington, and darmed if I can recall which is which. Both work perfectly, have the little detent thingie, and neither quite matches the receiver's finish. A small matter to me, tho I'd love to find a one shot extension in Royal Blue for my 870TB claycruncher.

And Erick, I'd love to hear the thinking behind your statement.

At this point, you've well prepared. Further mods like lights, long cones, custom chokes and so on are buyer optional. Mandatory are ammo and range fees,

As for places to shoot, many trap and skeet ranges allow short bbled shotguns if used with target loads and at the standard games. Check locally, and show up in shooting clothes, not camo or Ninja costume.

Enjoy....

9mmMike
October 26, 2002, 09:06 AM
Wow that's a real beauty. Were I you, I would ditch the old recoil pad and get a nice Pachmahyr Prefit pad, buy ammo and start shooting.
Then start shopping for a factory +2 extension if that's an 18" barrel.
You will not have the PC dimples on that sweetheart of an 870!
Congratulations and good luck.
Mike