PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Shotgun Techniques

eyeballz
August 11, 2002, 10:03 PM
Shoulder Ready Stance vs Standard Ready Stance? Which do you prefer? Standard Ready is with the buttstock at the belt and muzzle at eye level. Shoulder Ready is Butt stock at the Shoulder and muzzle down abou 45 degree angle. I see alot of military and law enforcement using the Shoulder Ready stance. What do you think?

stinger
August 11, 2002, 10:09 PM
Good question that I have never really thought about much. I guess I would prefer shoulder-ready. I'd rather have the stock up to my shoulder and swing the gun, as opposed to having to pull up the stock.

Stinger

Andrew Wyatt
August 11, 2002, 10:48 PM
Standard ready is more comfortable for long periods of time.

Bruce626
August 11, 2002, 11:08 PM
Not that the Rhodesians have any great rep for carrying shotguns, but why wouldn't the Rhodesian Ready (there really is such a thing) be a better long-term carry than the standard ready?

OTOH, moving a rubber covered buttplate up across heavy clothing to a ready position, such as when wearing a winter parka, seems to invite "snags" unless you do your dry fire mounting wearing a big michelin man coat or push out anticipating the extra bulk.

Due to the amount of Afganistan stuff on tv, I'm now wondering if the classic AK47 Afgan Irregular Raghead Ready might not be a good idea for those of us who have full-stocks with pistol grips. It is sort of like the Rhodesian ready except the buttstock is resting on the forearm, ready to be driven by the PG hand and whipped into the shoulder socket on demand. Eight zillion AK47 slingers might be wrong, but is is worth a look?

Edited to note that I'm only talkin' about Serious shotgunning here, not trap or clay or whatever, which I know nothing about.

My guess, of course, is that any real Serious shotgunning will be done without any sort of name-able "Ready" stance other than... "Ready, babe?, OK FIRE!" or at least for those of us lucky enough to be sleeping with our shooting gal.