PDA

View Full Version : Do the goings on in a small Tenn. town in 1946 say anything to today?

alan
July 31, 2002, 11:51 PM
I do not know whether or if the story of The Battle of Athens, Tenn. is appropriate to the present time and situation in this country, with all it's many problems. Readers will have to draw such conclusions for themselves.

Agencies of the federal government have, while showing little reticense about trampling upon thje rights of citizens, made a serious cock-up of the nations security. Is heaping ever more power and authority on seeming incompetents the way to go, personally I doubt it, but that is what appears to be happening.

It doesn't strike me that the situation described in Athens is really what we are looking at now, though some might claim that the only real difference is one of scale. They might have a point, though such election rigging as one might these days find is nowhere near as blatant as what is described in the story. Perhaps the difference is simply one of scale.

In any case, the enactment of laws such as the USA Patriot Act, which when it was a legislative proposal likely wasn't even read by those voting on it is certainly troubling. The liklehood that they haven't, to this day, read the thing might be even more troubling.

So people, as I noted at the outset, I do not know whether or if the story of The Battle of Athens is appropriate to today. The appropriateness or lack thereof is something each will have to determine for themselves, however the few minutes taken up in reading what is describved as "a bare bones version" of what happened in Athens might prove well spent. Readers will have to draw their own conclusions on that. The stroy/article is found at the following link.

http://www.jpfo.org/athens.htm

Blackhawk
July 31, 2002, 11:58 PM
This is the link to the Athens Battle article (http://www.jpfo.org/athens.htm). It's definitely worth reading and applying the lessons as alan implies.

snubby
August 1, 2002, 09:22 AM
The Battle of Athens article (see Blackhawk's link above) is an excellent and informative read. It makes one better appreciate the spirit behind the Second Amendment.