PDA

View Full Version : Starr's 4 Barrel Derringer/ Help!

sheaman
July 22, 2002, 12:07 AM
Anyone have any info on a Starr's Pat's May 4 barrel .32 derringer...Bronze looking in mint condition that I recently received from Uncle....

Starr Arms I guess was better known for its Civil War Revolvers...This one says Pat's May 10 1864...

ALso says BKITLREDGE & Co Cin OH on it....Is this the seller/Reseller???

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Sheaman

Sons of Liberty Will Ride Again!!

Repost from Revolver forum

wine9er
July 22, 2002, 02:37 AM
Starr produced a "pepperbox"(rather than a Derringer) w/4 barrels. Great looking gun (pictures?) with fine finishing. tough to find comparisons since there were so few manufactured.

Jim Watson
July 22, 2002, 07:15 AM
Flayderman says there were about 2000 Starr .32 pepperboxes made in six different models. Value from $300 to $1100 depending on model and condition (the barrels were originally silver plated.) The fifth model is much the most common. Company went out of business in 1867.
Kitridge was a major big dealer in those days.

sheaman
July 22, 2002, 05:06 PM
I will have to see which one I own...Thanks for your help!

Sheaman

sheaman
July 23, 2002, 10:11 PM
Jim,

Have tried to locate source on these 5 models of the Starrs gun.

Cannot find a thing...do you have a resource on the 5 models? A book ref...or just a quick explanation of the differences?

Thanks

Jim Watson
July 24, 2002, 07:36 AM
Not being a collector, Flayderman's Guide To Antique American Firearms is all I have to go by. It has pictures and descriptions. Unfortunately, no dimensions, so to say that Models 1-4 had a "short, fat" grip (they differ in spring placement) and Models 5 & 6 had a "long, thin" grip (Model 6 has a "longer frame") does not help much without a picture or an example.
But he says 1500 out of the 2000 were of the 5th Model.
Oh, I had the finish backwards; the brass frame was silver plated when new, the barrels were blued.

sheaman
July 25, 2002, 11:56 AM
Just ordered Flayderman's from Amazon.....

I hope I got one of the good ones...Its in mint...Will report back this week.

Sheaman