PDA

View Full Version : Summer Fun in Northern VA

David Park
July 18, 2002, 05:08 AM
It seems like everyone is busy in the summertime, but maybe we can find a date when we can get together. K80Geoff has promised to drag SodaPop down from PA this time. ;)

Where to you want to meet, NRA range (http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/nrahqrange/), Bull Run (http://www.vaskeet.com/clubs/bullrun.htm) for shotgun fun, or somewhere else?

Guy B. Meredith
July 20, 2002, 07:40 PM
If you haven't already done so, you might keep an eye out for Rudi Waldinger. He moved out there from the SF Bay area last year. Rudi is one of two people that keep Jerry Miculek honest in the International Revolver Championship match.

One heck of a decent gentleman--the best. We miss him as a mentor and friend. Don't tell I said so as he might get embarassed.

Mike Irwin
July 22, 2002, 10:47 AM
I've been thinking about this myself.

I was going to call for one a couple of weeks ago, then my Mother had surgery and the job's been getting interesting.

NRA Range or Bull Run for clay targets?

David Park
July 22, 2002, 11:12 PM
I'm leaning toward Bull Run since we haven't met there in a while. My shotgun is going to the gunsmith this week (finally fixing the loose vent rib) but if I don't have it back I can rent a gun.

Maybe we should try to pick a date. How about Aug. 10 or 11?

BTW, the NJ shoot is Aug. 24, and it would be nice to see some fellow Virginians up in Yankee territory.

Jamie Young
July 23, 2002, 12:41 AM
I gotta leave earliar next time. Took Me freakin 2hrs to get to Wilmington Delaware. That's normally 20-30minutes away.:mad:

As long as I don't get bitten by any more animals this summer, I think I'll be able to handle a day with a 12gauge.

RWK
July 24, 2002, 05:17 AM
Bull Run sounds great to me. I hope the date you guys select is one where I am not scheduled to be away. Thanks for sending me the "alerting" e-mail.

Best regards -- Roy

David Park
July 24, 2002, 01:16 PM
Most people seem to prefer Bull Run. They do rent shotguns in case you don't have one (l'll probably need a rental myself). Don't be nervous if you're a shotgun newbie -- I am too, but I think it's a lot of fun.

We need to nail down a date. How about Sunday, Aug. 11?

RWK
July 24, 2002, 01:23 PM
11 August looks good to me. Thanks for setting this up.

Roadrunner
July 25, 2002, 02:22 PM
David, thanks for the email. August 11 looks like it will work for me. What time should we meet? If the wife has to work, I'll have to drop her off by 10:45 am and could be at Bull Run anytime after 11:00 am.

David Park
July 25, 2002, 05:06 PM
Eleven o'clock works for me.

Do they have special events on Sunday? I was thinking maybe I should call and check. I'll try to do that tomorrow.

RAY WOODROW 3RD
July 25, 2002, 05:39 PM
What's the range fees for this place? Is it just shotgun? Do you have an address so I can Mapquest it? What can you shoot ammo wise? Thanks in advance. :D

Never mind. I see a link was posted earlier.(Duh!)

Mike Irwin
July 25, 2002, 11:18 PM
Aug. 11 works for me.

Jamie Young
July 26, 2002, 12:12 AM
I'll need to rent a shotgun. Mine looks like it might have to be retired. I can't get a firing pin for it.

9mmMike
July 30, 2002, 05:00 PM
Is there a place to pattern at Bull Run?
If my new barrel gets here in time, I will not have enough time to pattern it before the 11th.
How long is the drive Soda?
Mike

Jamie Young
July 30, 2002, 10:36 PM
Just picked up My 16gauge today. They had to machine a few parts because they couldn't find them anywhere. I'm getting an 870 even if I have to rack up more credit card debt. I think My O/U is going to have to be My Upland gun and My 870 for everything else.

Last time I tried to drive down there I got stuck in traffic. I think it should be less than 2 1/2 hrs.

David Park
July 31, 2002, 07:15 PM
I just called Bull Run. They don't have any tournaments scheduled for the 11th, so we should be good to go.

They do have a patterning area, but according to the guy I talked to, it's best to pattern on the weekdays. Weekends are busy and they often use the field for other activities.

BTW, if anyone has an extra shotgun, it might be nice to bring it along. I'm planning to rent a gun and it looks like a few others are as well, but they sometimes run low on rentals on busy days.

ExMB
August 3, 2002, 11:03 PM
Hey guys, I will try to make it too.

Soda, I'm not sure where you are coming from or what route you usually take, but you might want to look at coming down 15, crossing the Potomac just North of Leesburg, and continueing south to just north of Haymarket where you can pick up 234 to 29 north. It is much less hassel than 95/495

Jamie Young
August 4, 2002, 12:03 AM
I'm coming from just outside of Philly.

Mike in VA
August 6, 2002, 08:10 AM
Dang! Parents visiting fro AZ this weekend, can't join you. Y'all have fun without me:)

David Park
August 8, 2002, 12:10 AM
Bull Run this Sunday, August 11, at 11:00 AM

By my count, about 9 to 11 people are planning to show up. I hope everybody can make it.

Reminder: even if you plan to rent a gun, it helps to bring your own shells. (I forgot the first time :o and I think I still owe Roadrunner a box or two.) Galyans sells 'em, and I like the Win. Xtra Lite Target loads, because I'm wimpy. I think sporting clays is 50+ rounds.

Weather is supposed to be dry, partly cloudy, high of 91. Bring water. Maybe I'll wear my fancy hat from the Bahamas. :cool:

Jamie Young
August 8, 2002, 12:27 AM
Well I picked up an 870 and a case of 7 1/2 shot so I think I'm set. Can someone give me a cell phone number I can call just incase I get lost or end up late (like last time).

I'll probable try and leave here around 8:30 sunday.

David Park- How long do you think it'll take me to get there? I'm about 40 min south of the gun club I hold the PA TFL shoots at. Is 2.5hrs good enough?

Can we shoot handguns there?

David Park
August 8, 2002, 12:40 AM
2.5 hours is close, but it might be pushing it if there's traffic. It does seem to take me longer to get to PA than to come back, though. I'll PM you my cell #.

No handguns, strictly shotguns (and archery?). If you show up with a handgun the Perazzi crowd might call the cops. :eek: ;) The NRA range is just down the road, though.

August 8, 2002, 05:43 PM
I'll be there for at least a round or so.

Mr. James
August 9, 2002, 12:53 PM
Man, I'm psyched for this - the first TFL-connected get-together for me. I'd blown off so many invites, Mike Irwin flat out gave up on me.

Oh, and I'm as green a newbie with shotguns as can be minted, so go easy on me, eh? :D

See you Sunday - what better way to honor the 4th Commandment? :D

Jamie Young
August 10, 2002, 10:00 AM
This may sound like a stupid question but...... Is there food and drinks at this place?

Mike Irwin
August 10, 2002, 04:35 PM
Soda,

They have candy, some chips, and water and soda machines.

If you want anything more than that, it's best if you bring your own.

Some of us get together for lunch afterwards, I'd like to do that again if everyone is game for it.

I got Mal, my friend Herb (he was there last time, won't make it this time) and I went looking for the gunshow in Bealton. Bastards changed the date, so we went to Clarke Brothers (HOLY CRAP, their ammo prices are INFRIGGINGSANE!) and to Wally World, where I got 200 rounds of Federal 8 shot.

Bob, if you need to borrow ammo, you can bum some of mine. It's cheap.

Mr. James
August 10, 2002, 10:39 PM
Thank you, Mike,

I'm hoping to bring some 12s and 20s since I don't know what they'll have available for rentals. Also planning to bring a cooler of bevies. See y'all tomorrow

David Park
August 11, 2002, 04:20 PM
Thanks to Mal H, Mike Irwin, Mr. James (and son), Roadrunner, and SodaPop for showing up today. If anyone else showed up late, sorry you missed us, because we had just the right number for a round of sporting clays and started the course at 11:15 or so. It was busy, but everyone was able to rent a shotgun who needed one, which was my biggest worry. The weather reports say it was 93 degrees today, but I drove past a business on the way back that said 101, and that's what it felt like. The heat must have thrown off our shooting. ;)

After sporting clays, Mike suggested a quick game of wobble trap, which was a good idea since we needed the ego boost. I came in second (after Mike) with 20/25, which is the best I've done in three TFL meets. I used Win. Light Target #8 shot for wobble, which didn't really seem to have more kick than the Xtra Lite #7.5 for sporting clays. My shoulder isn't sore, but my forearms are really starting to turn red, so I'll have to add some suntan lotion to the range bag.

I'll try to get my pictures developed and posted fairly soon, if my scanner will cooperate. I hope everyone else had fun. We'll have to have another meet when it's a little cooler, maybe at night.

Mike Irwin
August 11, 2002, 08:57 PM
I had a ton of fun today.

When I got home, I just about crashed and burned, though. It was all I could do to check messages and lay down for a half-hour recharge.

Then I put up some new halogen lights, realized that my neck is sunburned as hell, and decided that I want to shoot again soon. :)

I DESPERATELY want to shoot wobble strap at night! That looks like it would be so damned much fun!

Jamie Young
August 11, 2002, 09:03 PM
but my forearms are really starting to turn red, so I'll have to add some suntan lotion to the range bag.

Well I think I got a nice tan today.

I did a lot better with My 870, a lot better than I thought I would. I had fun and it was worth the trip. I'm am pretty washed out. That heat was pretty intense.

Oh, and I got to meet a Moderator:D

Mal H
August 11, 2002, 09:14 PM
SodaPop, that's a dubious honor at best. :D

I also had a blast, so to speak. Although my shotgunning still leaves a whole lot to be desired (I'm fairly well convinced that the 'clay' birds they were using were made of Titanium). Nonetheless, it was great to shoot the sporting clays with some very good TFL members.

I was telling Mike that I had an epiphany about my shotgunning when I got home, so look out, the next outing may turn out differently :)

Mr. James
August 11, 2002, 09:48 PM
David, Roadrunner, SodaPop, Mal H., and, of course, Mike Irwin.

Most fun I've had with clothes on.

:D

Then I had to come home and start pulling up the old @*#$@ vinyl flooring - and the plywood it was mounted on - in anticipation of the Great Hardwood Flooring Adventure. Yikes, sweatin' up a monsoon, 'though I've no idea how there was any moisture left in me after Bull Run.

And I almost did jump up and yell "PULL" at church.

Wow. What I've been missing.

Thanks, all, for your superlative company and enduring patience. It was sure a pleasure to meet you guys.

Of course, my son is disinherited. He told my wife (volunteered it, he did!!) that we went shooting "when we should have been home working on the hardwood floors." :rolleyes: C'mon, lad, don't do me like that!!

K80Geoff
August 11, 2002, 10:43 PM
Hey Soda, at least the moderator in question did not run out when you showed up like he did when I went to a VA shoot!

What is it about the Mods on this site anyway, one even ran away and joined the Army so he would not have to face me!

How about a Sporting Clays Shoot sometime in late September or Early October at one of the courses on the Peninsula. Close enough for you VA people (that means you Mal!) and for the PA mob.

I am thinking of possibly J P Sporting Clays or Pintail Point.

I will see if I can find some maps.

How come nobody is giving scores?

Mr. James
August 11, 2002, 10:56 PM
Mr. Ross,

Because I s***.

But I love it!!

Guys, thanks again!! Damn, still got that stoopid smile on my face.

Mike Irwin
August 12, 2002, 01:26 AM
"Most fun I've had with clothes on."

And your clothes had best STAY on when you're shooting with us, lest you gain enough lead weight to be used as a fishing sinker...

The situation with the floors could have gone a lot more smoothly had you accepted my offer of assistance... Of course you realize that all I really wanted was your beer? :)

My score for sporting clays was, I believe, 19 of 50 (ouch), which put me second.

My score for wobble trap was 22 of 25 (that's better), which put me first.

David's proficiency is increasing GREATLY. At the rate he's going he's going to be consistently first in our group in short order.

For the first time out, Bob shot VERY well.

Mal, I wish your ephipany had come on Saturday, instead of Sunday afternoon...

I think next time we go out I WILL take my riot gun, just to have a riot...

Roadrunner
August 12, 2002, 09:46 AM
A night shoot would be nice. However, I believe that means we would have to shoot on a weekday evening since the range closes at 6:00 pm on weekends. I'll inquire about their hours.

I agree, it was alot of fun shotgunning at Bull Run. Maybe Dave or Sodapop will post a picture of our motley crew. Regards.

Mike Irwin
August 12, 2002, 11:25 AM
Evening shooting shouldn't be too much of a problem, unless we run into traffic on 66 or 29, which is always a possibility.

Maybe later in the fall when it starts getting dark earlier.

I doubt, however, that they allow shooting during full dark. The neighbors would probably get a little cheesed. There are some people who live just close enough to be annoyed, I'd guess.

Just called the office. During the week they shoot from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. It would be full dark by that time in October, and close to it now.

And, if you go to meet 7:30 or so, the traffic wouldn't be quite as bad.

I'm all for it guys!

Jamie Young
August 12, 2002, 11:58 AM
one even ran away and joined the Army so he would not have to face me!

ROTFLAO:D (just between me and you Geoff):)

Actually, Mike, I took second place and you came in 3rd.;) I was behind "RoadRunner" by I think about 5 shots. On the sporting clays that is. I came in 4th at the wobble trapp.

Geoff, why don't we do something the weekend after Labor Day? I was thinking about a rifle shoot in late Sept. I'm all for shooting shotguns now that I have a 12gauge. Its a heck of a lot cheaper than shooting up all My 308 and .223.

9mmMike
August 12, 2002, 01:10 PM
Glad you guys had fun. I'm getting pretty tired of missing these things due to work. The NJ shoot is the day before a really big deal at work that I can not miss but I am almost certain that I will make that one, even if I can not stay late.
A PA shoot after Labor Day weekend would be while I am in NC shooting at the Outer Banks Gun Club. I would be sad to miss a SG shoot in my own backyard. :(
Mike

Mike Irwin
August 12, 2002, 01:41 PM
"Actually, Mike, I took second place and you came in 3rd."

You did? Good on ya. I missed that. How many did you break?

Not bad for not having fired your 870 that much before.

I've discovered a great truism about myself. If they're coming straight for me, or moving away, I'm deadly on them.

If they're crossing, I've got problems. :)

The wobble trap was funny. For the first 5 shots I think all of us were tied at 4 for 5. For about the first 10 shots Ian and I were matching shot for shot.

Jamie Young
August 12, 2002, 08:45 PM
My score was 22. I thought it was higher than that. I believer you were only a couple away from me. I usually shot well when I concentrated. I have trouble relaxing and following threw. I didn't have K80Geoff hawking down on me to "follow threw" so I kinda fell apart towards the end. I like the last stand, with the "rabbits."

I also noticed I do better on fast clays rather than the slow ones. If I have too much time to think, I crack.

Mike Irwin
August 12, 2002, 10:28 PM
Soda, my swing and follow through just positively STINK.

I'm considering taking a class or two to hopefully get some work in on the basics.

I was also having some problems picking up some of those clays coming out of the trees.

Jamie Young
August 12, 2002, 10:33 PM
Black on black is kinda hard to pick out isn't it.:( I guess that one where we were all under the trees was pretty hard.

I get better with practice. I have a tendency to yell PULL before I'm really ready. I think we all should have done the "wobble" first and the field second.

Mike Irwin
August 12, 2002, 10:35 PM
Yeah, wobble first would probably be best.

I'm interested in trying the 5-stand one of these times, as well. Looks to be an interesting variation on sporting clays.

K80Geoff
August 13, 2002, 07:03 PM
5 stand is indeed a microcosm of Sporting Clays. A well set up course can be challenging.

J & P Sporting clays on the Eastern shore has one set up on a pond. Very difficult.

As to target color. At the Remington School years ago they threw GREEN targets in the woods. :rolleyes:

And at a Connecticut Travellers shoot three years ago it snowed, and they had WHITE targets:eek:

Come to one of Soda's shoots at W & W, hey have a decent 5 stand.

Get that tricked out Beretta yet? :D

Poodleshooter
August 15, 2002, 04:52 PM
Arrrgh! There was a TFL VA shoot and I missed it!
Sounds like you guys had fun. When's the next one?

David Park
August 19, 2002, 09:28 PM
Here are the few pictures I took at the meet, fresh off of PhotoCD.

http://www.sazan.net/dpark/images/life/tfl-20020811-1.jpg
Roadrunner demonstrates proper shotgunning attire. You can't really see it (white letters), but his screen name is on the back of his shirt. :D

http://www.sazan.net/dpark/images/life/tfl-20020811-2.jpg
SodaPop aims for a clay in the distance as the rest of the gang look on. You can see the clay just to the right of all the dead branches. :o

http://www.sazan.net/dpark/images/life/tfl-20020811-3.jpg
SodaPop, shooting his new 870. In the background is the entrance to the woods area of the course, but unlike last time most of the stations were out in the hot sun.

http://www.sazan.net/dpark/images/life/tfl-20020811-4.jpg
Mr. James prepares to fire as Roadrunner watches.

http://www.sazan.net/dpark/images/life/tfl-20020811-5.jpg
Mal H waits to begin in some welcome shade in the woods.

http://www.sazan.net/dpark/images/life/tfl-20020811-6.jpg
The whole crew (except me) at the end of the day: Mal H, SodaPop, Mike Irwin, Mr. James & son, and Roadrunner.

Jamie Young
August 19, 2002, 11:17 PM
I gotta get My film developed. I still have a roll of film from the NJ shoot last year that's undeveloped. I'm still not sure about getting the film developed at My local store. Last time I got a bunch of pictures developed there of Me and My 9yr old Nephew with guns they gave Me dirty looks. I gotta get them developed soon. I'll post them as soon as I get them done.

Mal H
August 20, 2002, 11:32 AM
Very nice pictures, David. Now we have to urge SodaPop to get his developed so everyone can you also. I used Soda's camera to take several shots of all the shooters at the wobble trap stand.

David Park
August 20, 2002, 12:09 PM
Mal, I think I discovered your problem -- you were holding the shotgun upside-down! :p

Soda, don't feel bad, I also had pics from my Colorado trip (May 2001) on the same roll. This was the first time I got a PhotoCD, and I was pretty happy with the results. The digicam is ready for the NJ meet, and I'll try to avoid so many rear-end shots this time. :o

Roadrunner
August 21, 2002, 11:03 AM
Nice pictures David, we have to get out there again.

Jamie Young
September 8, 2002, 10:00 PM
I swear I'm going to get those pictures developed soon.:rolleyes:

Jamie Young
October 3, 2002, 12:03 AM
Here we go!!

Jamie Young
October 3, 2002, 12:09 AM
Mr. James

Jamie Young
October 3, 2002, 12:12 AM
What happens when you pull the trigger, Mike?

Jamie Young
October 3, 2002, 12:15 AM
I forgot to leave a bread crumb trail

Jamie Young
October 3, 2002, 12:18 AM
Beep Beep!

Jamie Young
October 3, 2002, 12:20 AM
Everyone but Soda!

Jamie Young
October 3, 2002, 12:24 AM
Sorry I didnt' get to edit all the pictures (too much black around the pictures).

I have a bunch more, of the the course, but I don't see any from the "wobble" trap. It looks like none of them turned out. I got charged for a roll of bad pictures so I'm going to go back and see what happened. They were all on a roll where I took pictures of my gun collection for insurance reasons. Hmmmm...............:mad:

I have to figure out which course was the one where Mal H stole my shotgun.;)

Mal H

"Hey! This isn't my shotgun!!":D

Mike Irwin
October 6, 2002, 09:54 PM
Hey, I didn't know the Goodyear Blimp was along shooting with us...

HOLY CRAP! THAT'S ME! :rolleyes:

David Park
October 6, 2002, 10:12 PM
So when are we going to have another get-together?

Jamie Young
October 8, 2002, 12:38 AM
The first time I saw that group picture I thought Mike had a wine glass in his hand.