PDA

View Full Version : AR bolt/snap-cap stuck!

spleenandideal
June 29, 2002, 01:05 AM
Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!

First I shoot my TV, then my car's brakes go bad, the TFL counter mysteriously dropped 50 of my posts, now this...

Okay, my Bushmaster free-floated V-Match is having a major problem. I inserted an A-Zoom snap cap into a mag and chamber it. Now it's stuck. The bolt carrier is not seated fully, although the charging handle can be snapped shut. I'm unable to retract the carrier more than 1/4". It seems like the AZoom got bent or something in the chamber and, though hard to tell, the lugs on the bolt are swiveled within the barrel's lugs so that I cannot just push it out. I tried gently tapping it out with a wooden dowel rod. No go. I don't want to make it any worse by pounding on the wooden dowel from the muzzle end if I can avoid it. When looking at the carrier from the bottom the firing pin is not jammed; it is moving freely within it's confines. I also tried tapping the end of the carrier forward, but that did not do anything either. Forward assist is not helping.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Can the bbl be dissassembled with the snapcap and bolt stuck like this? Will I have to resort to taking it to my local 'smith, who knows little about the AR? I was in need of having it re-barreled anyway so if I have to ruin my chamber so be it. I also posted this in the AR15.com trouble shooting forum.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated, and I'll send the person with the home-fix that works some candy or something. :)

spleenandideal
June 29, 2002, 01:28 AM
ferget it boys, I got it fixed.

I stuck a flathead screwdriver into the ejection port and did a light twist, and it popped out cleanly. The snap cap is straight.

I'm gonna have to stick a bore-scope into it to see if the chamber/throat looks okay.

Sorry to bug everyone.