PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10FP 308WIN - initial range results -moly break in

bald1
February 28, 1999, 08:59 PM
I finally got to the range to sort out my new Savage 10FP 20" barrel 308 WIN. It wears a Leupold 4.5-14x50 Long range Mil-Dot scope.

The rifle had been prepared with JB paste run through the bore 50 times followed by KG Products KG-6 moly bore prep. The trigger was crisp 4.25 lbs from the factory with no take up. I also used KG-4 gun oil and KG-5 trigger lube in setting up the gun. Hornady 168 match bullets were moly coated using the KG-7 moly in small 4 ounce jars that were placed in the tumbler for several hours. The bore prep and moly are the same products that Midway sells under their own label but can also be purchased from www.kgproducts.com.

Range temp was just under 60 degress with a variable 5-15 mph crosswind. Break in was accomplished with Shooters Choice used to clean the barrel after each of the first five shoots followed by a swab of KG-6 moly bore prep. The interval between this clean and prep was extended to every 3rd then 5th shot.

Ammo used was Black Hills Match 175gr moly and handloaded 168 Hornady Match home moly coated over 46gr Varget in Federal Gold Medal cases with Federal GM210M primers.

3 round groups using both loads yielded 0.385" c-t-c. This with a commercial load and an old handload recipe...I haven't started load tailoring yet :)! This setup is definately a keeper!!!!

I have no affiliation with Savage, Leupold, Black Hills Ammo, KG Products, Shooters Choice, or Midway.

-=[Bob]=-

PCurrent
February 28, 1999, 11:13 PM
That's the same set-up I'm saving up for. Thanks for the info. I just have one question. I thought the 10FP had a 24" barrel. I would rather have a 20" like yours. Is that length standard, optional, or custom?

bald1
March 1, 1999, 08:28 PM
Best bet is to have your dealer order one with the 20" barrel. My understanding is that most 10FPs are, as you alluded, shipped with longer tubes. I didn't see it specified in the catalog either. Same deal with the model known as the "4x4" which is essentially a 10FP with 20" tube in 223... not listed in the catalog.

BTW the shooting I did was off a bench using a bipod. I'm sure if I had taken my Witchita bench and bags that the groups would have been a tad tighter.

This is a much sweeter rig than the 700VS, Shilen trigger, Leupold Vari-X III 4.4-14x40 Tactical setup I just sold off. Sure the stock isn't as nice as the H-S Precision one made for Remington. But not having that heavy 26" tube to lug around is a pleasure. It took a long time, my most frustrating rifle to date, to develop the right loads to get the accuracy I wanted. That due mainly to the .0090" overbore. Never again will I buy a Remington.

-=[Bob]=-