PDA

View Full Version : More glass bedding questions

Sisco
June 22, 2002, 07:54 PM
Have a couple of days off next week, going to make my first attempt at glass bedding, I've got a acraglass gel kit from Brownells. The gun is a .270 on a GEW Mauser action.
I've searched the 'net and found some good info but still have some questions.

Quote from http://riflestocks.tripod.com/bedding.html

Use a small amount of modeling clay to make a dam where the epoxy bedding is to stop in the barrel channel. Dam the front and sides of magazine inletting to keep epoxy from squeezing into it. Do the same at inletting adjoining the area of tang. Slowly place barreled action in stock pressing it into place. Remove and check modeling clay. Refashion the clay as needed and repeat until satisfied. Be sure that the barrel still recedes half way into barrel channel. Keep the edges of dam face flat so that you will have a neat looking job when done.Be sure that the barrel still recedes half way into barrel channel.

Question is, if the barrel only recedes halfway into the channel, how is it going to set without the clay dams in place? Won't the bedding be too high? I planned on free-floating the barrel before bedding, don't want to end up with too much clearance.
I've never even seen a glass bedded action, not sure what it's supposed to look like. If anyone has photos or links it would be appreciated.
Thanks!

George Stringer
June 23, 2002, 08:25 AM
SK, look at some of your other rifles. The barrels should sit about halfway down into the wood. The dams are just to block the glass from going where you don't want it. So if you are restocking a rifle, inlet as needed to fit the bbled action to the stock. Then remove about 1/8" more at the tang and behind the lug recess, from the lug recess itself and out to about 1-1/2" in front of the recess and just put your dams in the areas needed. I use silly putty instead of modeling clay. Cleanup is much easier. George

Sisco
June 23, 2002, 02:42 PM
Thanks George - made sense once I thought about it!

Tanks dakotasin - Suggestion for using lipstick to mark the high spots works real good. Ran to WallyWorld this morning and got the cheapest brand they had, girl at the checkout didn't think it was my color though. :D

dakotasin
June 23, 2002, 09:19 PM
i really hope the job turns out for ya! keep us informed... also, if you discover any nifty tricks, i'm all ears.

HankL
June 24, 2002, 06:37 PM
George, where do you get silly putty these days? Sounds like a great idea.

kurt IA.
June 25, 2002, 06:51 AM
I'll throw in a little tip. Cover the outside of the stock with newspappers or anything to keep the acraglass off it. And rember acaglass is one heck of a glue!!

George Stringer
June 25, 2002, 07:40 AM
Hank, I got some just recently at Wal-mart and there is another product called Play Putty that is a Silly Putty knock-off and works the same way. It comes in a plastic egg too.