PDA

View Full Version : cleaning Win. mod 24 action

Hardtarget
June 20, 2002, 09:49 PM
I've got a shotgun that hasn't been cleaned in years. The safty is very stiff and I've gotten several missfires (right side) that showed light firing pin strike.I'm thinking there may be enough crud in there to intertfere with proper function. This gun belonged to my Father in law, and I'm sure he didn't hunt with it after 1960. Its been standing in the closet forty years, but its time for a field trip! I'll use it to dove hunt this fall so I'd like to get it clean and functioning now to have a little clay target fun before hunting season! Now, my question...if I remove the stock. will a spray de-greaser do a thorough job. Then a light lube...or should I find a 'smith to go over it? The gun is sound, rust free and tight. I'm not worried about safty, just function reliability.
Thanks, Mark.

George Stringer
June 21, 2002, 06:33 AM
Mark, I'd recommend you let a smith detail clean it. Most will completely disassemble, clean & oil as well as point out any potential problems for a very reasonable price. George

Hardtarget
June 21, 2002, 09:09 PM
Thanks George, thats probably the safe way to go about this. Trained eyes will see a little problem before it can become a real problem. I'm going to the gun show in Smyrna,Tn. tomorrow. I'll look for a gunsmith...bound to find at least one at a gunshow! One more thing on my list to look for.
Thanks again. Mark