PDA

View Full Version : Might try Rust Bluing. How do I boil big parts?

RHarris
June 13, 2002, 12:52 AM
I'm considering attempting to use a rust bluing kit from Brownell's (Belgian blue or Pilikingtons). From what I have read, there is a step requiring the parts to be immersed in boiling water. That presents a little problem. What kind of container to I boil water in that will accomodate an entire rifle barrel? Is submersion in boiling water absolutely necessary to rust blue a firearm?

George Stringer
June 13, 2002, 06:06 AM
You can buy a tank from Brownells or make one/have one made locally. The tank has to be long enough to hold your longest part and the heat source should be able to bring the water to a boil. Boiling the parts is a necessary step as it turns the red oxide into black oxide. George

'01 GSR
June 17, 2002, 11:00 AM
Just in case someone isn't thinking about this possibility, make sure to plug the barrel so as not to rust the bore.

Alex Johnson
June 17, 2002, 03:44 PM
I use a trick picked up from John Bivins, he coats the inside of the barrel with a varnish to protect the rifling from the water and the corrosive chemicals, it wipes out with solvent afterwards. I still use the wooden dowels (they give you something to hang onto), but I don't worry about the bore during the operation.

gundog98k
June 22, 2002, 01:33 PM
My old shop teacher did his own blueing. He made his own tank by welding two pieces of 3/16"x 6" flat stock into a "V" shape and welding flat covers over the ends. Took me about 1/2 hour to weld for him. Worked well.:)